Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • front clunking

• Repair Questions and Answers.
Membership Banner

Repair Questions and Answers.

Moderator: Moderators

#376842  by hrmwrm
 December 10th, 2018, 3:16 pm
be sure the clunk is in the front and not the rear. i presently have a small clunk from the rear sway bushings.
they sound more middle than rear and can seem like front when they make noise.
also make sure brake pads/calipers don't have excessive play and worn parts.
 #376915  by Francesco
 December 15th, 2018, 5:30 am
Rack and pinion were number 1 on my suspect list. I already ordered the parts but couldn't find the proper motivation. When you recently replaced it I guess we can rule that one out. Number 2 on my list... did I mention it was a really short list?
I also have tried in vain to reproduce it while standing still. No such luck. It's only when driving (slowly) and steering at the same time. E.g. pulling out a parking spot. It also seems to go away at higher speeds, but that can also be the engine compartment warming up by that time.
Of course we should also consider the possibility that not all clunks are created equal. I don't remember ever hitting a pothole, curb or other unevenness to kick off the clunking.
 #376916  by Francesco
 December 15th, 2018, 5:49 am
hrmwrm wrote:
December 10th, 2018, 3:16 pm
be sure the clunk is in the front and not the rear. i presently have a small clunk from the rear sway bushings.
they sound more middle than rear and can seem like front when they make noise.
also make sure brake pads/calipers don't have excessive play and worn parts.
It's definitely coming from the front. I'm just not so sure its passenger side. I recently replaced my brakes and had a good opportunity to inspect the rods and suspensions there. I'm not a mechanic, but to me it all looked "neither good nor bad" (i.e. leave it be condition). Nothing clunkworthy. I suppose my shocks could use a replacement, but if they'd cause the clunks than it should be possible to reproduce the noise by pushing on the car (not the radiator!!) and no such "luck".
But we can rule out brakes for sure.

Here's something to give some more thought to. I already mentioned that the noise seems more apparent inside the car than out. The reason I say this is because I had several occasions where I pulled out in a busy parking lot with people standing around. The clunks were really, really loud to me but none of the people outside even turned their head to see who bumped into something. In general the car is very well insulated. I know this because my brakes squeaked for a month after I replaced them but I never noticed until I rolled down the window one day. :D
 #376940  by Masri
 December 16th, 2018, 8:36 pm
Hey everyone,
I haven't replaced the mounts yet(too cold and zero motivation)but there is something crazy about the clunk , sometimes when I drive over a big pothole and anticipate a clunk sound , it doesn't clunk .

I'll keep you updated on what happens.

See you soon
 #377034  by coatsy
 December 24th, 2018, 4:14 am
At this point I'm gonna go with turning the stereo louder, then no clunk noise. :)

Exhaust all tight?
 #377035  by Francesco
 December 24th, 2018, 5:18 am
Just some more observations for the great clunking thread. Mine has once again stopped for the time being.
Until last week it clunked to high heaven and my stereo is always loud to compensate for hearing loss and tenitis 😁.
I have to recall my statement that it goes away with the engine compartment warming up. Since I've been paying more attention to it, I noticed that it was still clunking on a roundabout after a 100 mile drive.
I'm still not sure about the general direction of the source. Could come from anywhere, but as mentioned my ears are not the best.
I did try to clunk with my head out the window and that seems to confirm that it's louder in than out (...won't say it) but not 100 % sure on that one.
The temperatures here have left the sub-zero range (or are in the 40-50s now if you prefer). Again not sure if I can pin the clunk to the cold for lack of diary. Still notable.

I wish you all a merry Christmas and a clunk-free new year.
 #377294  by roblinda606
 January 9th, 2019, 5:44 am
I had the same problem. It was the passenger side sway bar link.
 #377315  by Francesco
 January 10th, 2019, 6:06 pm
Sounds plausible. I ordered one and will give it a shot (weather permitting).
 #377317  by Masri
 January 10th, 2019, 7:01 pm
Hello everyone. ((and clunk free year, I laughed so hard, thanks)).
Update ,

I replaced both outer tie rods and did an okay alignment myself, it was warm enough to do just that , the clunk is still there.

For the engine and Trans mounts, that's for a warmer day .
It is so frustrating.

To be continued....bye now

Ps:

Did I mention I replaced both sway bar links and that didn't help too .
 #377321  by EasyRider300M
 January 11th, 2019, 2:36 pm
When I had the clunk sound, I had the outer tie rods AND the sway bar bushing replaced. Solved my clunking issue.