• 300M Special Ticking/Knocking

• Repair Questions and Answers.
25th Anniversary LH Platform Celebration

Membership Banner

Repair Questions and Answers.

Moderator: Moderators

#377745  by JuryFury
 February 10th, 2019, 11:17 pm
So the car runs! And drives! Here's a second update on the infamous 300M Special, the first part of the video was taken yesterday, Saturday, February, 9th the top end of the motor was put back together after the cam gear for the Pacifica cam shaft came in the mail. I hammered out the roller pin to inspect the bearings to see if any are missing, turns out all 12 are there! Turns out i don't have to drop the pan after all. But I might when it comes time for its next oil change, just to see how many shavings are in the pan after its never been dropped to my knoledge. First start up attempt failed as the battery was semi dead, the other tries, the car had a hard time idling, and the car threw like 12 codes, turns out a plug near the back of the engine that was barely connected was causing the problems. Once plugged back in and started up, the car ran like normal and all but one code stayed (02 sensor). The next day, today (Sunday, February, 10th) I drove the car home, with no issues, car ran flawlessly! Shes a bit dusty after sitting for months so its in need of a good detailing. So glad to have the car back on the road!

Below is the second update video
Sneke_Eyez liked this
 #377750  by Sneke_Eyez
 February 11th, 2019, 11:30 am
Great news! Congrats on getting her back on the road again!
JuryFury liked this
 #377752  by FIREM
 February 11th, 2019, 12:10 pm
O2 code may have been caused by a massive vacuum leak from your video. May clear on its own with some time. If not DO NOT USE BOSCH SENSORS They do NOT work in Chrysler products. Only NGK or NTK can be used in our cars.
JuryFury liked this
 #377754  by JuryFury
 February 11th, 2019, 12:25 pm
FIREM wrote: February 11th, 2019, 12:10 pm O2 code may have been caused by a massive vacuum leak from your video. May clear on its own with some time. If not DO NOT USE BOSCH SENSORS They do NOT work in Chrysler products. Only NGK or NTK can be used in our cars.
Thanks for the tip, Ive replaced one 02 sensor before, i believe its the same one thats now throwing the code as i used a cheapo sensor from ebay. If the car seems to drive great, would it be a bad idea to ignore the vacuum leak if it has one?
 #377762  by FIREM
 February 11th, 2019, 3:21 pm
Videos can be tough when it comes to sound. You can hear all kinds of things like alternator or P/S whining sound. Also sounds like there is a vacuum leak.
Does it now start and Idle normally? Looks like you had a hard time keeping it alive in the video and sounded like a vacuum leak. After a few (like 5) minutes of running after "major surgery" it should run as well or better than before.
Rock Auto has NGK/NTK O2's for good $$