• OEM Key Fob troubles.

• Repair Questions and Answers.
25th Anniversary LH Platform Celebration

Membership Banner

Repair Questions and Answers.

Moderator: Moderators

#378212  by JuryFury
 March 12th, 2019, 7:46 pm
So as the title states, I'm having trouble with my key fobs. Last week my friend was going to take his wrecked 02 Jeep Liberty to the junk yard, and I was taking the exterior door handles and window switches for my 03 ram, as i was doing that I found a 4 button key fob in the back seats and he said I could have it. It was the exact same as the one for my Chrysler you couldn't tell it apart. I went home and searched how to pair the fob to the car as a 3rd remote. Seemed easy enough, hold down the unlock button for 5 sec, then hold thr panic and the unlock for 1 sec, release and, you know the rest, when it came to pairing the new fob nothing happened, the new fob didn't make the car chime resulting in the fob having no control. Thinking the batteries are dead I put it aside as Ill get batteries another day as it wanst a top priority. Well later that day I went to go get pizza for the hockey game, Instead of getting the master key i used to initially put the car into programming mode, i got my other set of keys that has another fob originally paired from the factory, and tried to unlock the car but this fob was not responsive. I got the car unlocked the old fashion way using the key and went on my way, when I got home I tried to pair the non working original fob to the car by its self (stupid me didnt realize you cant pair a key fob by its self if its not working) I gave up and forgot about it, till today, I got the other factory fob that's paired so i can try and pair the other factory fob that mysteriously disconnected. It worked however the other fob now doenst work, so I did the process again and now the fob that mysteriously disconnected didnt work. So no matter what fob i pair, the car will only allow me to have one fob but it originally had 2 connected. Now I'm kinda worried if I lose one, I'm kinda SOL as I wont have another working fob. Below is an unlisted video showing he problem.
 #378214  by In-trepid
 March 13th, 2019, 10:12 am
You may have two separate issues here.
1. There are two different part number key fobs that look exactly alike. 04602268 only works on older LH models (I'm not exactly sure which years) and 04602260 which I know work on 2002 - 2004 models. I found this out by trying to program an earlier model key fob to my 2002 300m. When it didn't work I did a little investigation and found that there are two different key fobs.
2. When programming key fobs, the first thing that the procedure does is to erase all key fobs in memory. This probably also happened to you.

So what can you do since you need a current key fob code in memory to program another one? The best solution is to program correct key fobs using an EVIC. It does not require that you have a good code in memory. What if you only have an OTIS and not an EVIC? Doesn't work with an OTIS. You will need to replace the OTIS with an EVIC. The cable routing at the EVIC is a bit different, but the unit is a plug compatible swap. It is worth the swap as it allows you to do many different programming features on the car with the push of a couple of buttons. I hope this helps.
 #378248  by JuryFury
 March 15th, 2019, 4:21 am
In-trepid wrote: March 13th, 2019, 10:12 am You may have two separate issues here.
1. There are two different part number key fobs that look exactly alike. 04602268 only works on older LH models (I'm not exactly sure which years) and 04602260 which I know work on 2002 - 2004 models. I found this out by trying to program an earlier model key fob to my 2002 300m. When it didn't work I did a little investigation and found that there are two different key fobs.
2. When programming key fobs, the first thing that the procedure does is to erase all key fobs in memory. This probably also happened to you.

So what can you do since you need a current key fob code in memory to program another one? The best solution is to program correct key fobs using an EVIC. It does not require that you have a good code in memory. What if you only have an OTIS and not an EVIC? Doesn't work with an OTIS. You will need to replace the OTIS with an EVIC. The cable routing at the EVIC is a bit different, but the unit is a plug compatible swap. It is worth the swap as it allows you to do many different programming features on the car with the push of a couple of buttons. I hope this helps.
Ok so I looked up EVIC vs OTIS and it refers to the computer homelink (is what ebay calls it) on the headliner above the rear view mirror, never knew that, and the diffrence between the 2 is the EVIC has C/T RESET STEP and MENU as its buttons and the OTIS has US/M RESET STEP and C/T as its buttons.

Well my 02 300M Special has the EVIC Computer homelink! So now what? lol
 #378251  by In-trepid
 March 15th, 2019, 7:40 am
EVIC is easily identified by the writing on the buttons versus the OTIS that does not have the writing on the buttons.

Did you check that the remotes are the correct part number for your model year? You should have part number 04602260 on the back of the remote. It may have an AA, AB, AC, or AD revision letter after the part number, but all revisions work as long as the part number is right.

Since you have an EVIC, you can program up to 4 transmitters using the EVIC. Cycle through the menu items until you come to the program transmitter item and follow the instructions. If you are doing more than one transmitter, you must do them in the same sequence as each time you restart the program transmitter routine, the first thing it does is to clear the memory. You will see it is pretty self explanatory as you follow instructions. It will time out, so move right along with the programming.
JuryFury liked this
 #378256  by JuryFury
 March 15th, 2019, 4:22 pm
In-trepid wrote: March 15th, 2019, 7:40 am EVIC is easily identified by the writing on the buttons versus the OTIS that does not have the writing on the buttons.

Did you check that the remotes are the correct part number for your model year? You should have part number 04602260 on the back of the remote. It may have an AA, AB, AC, or AD revision letter after the part number, but all revisions work as long as the part number is right.

Since you have an EVIC, you can program up to 4 transmitters using the EVIC. Cycle through the menu items until you come to the program transmitter item and follow the instructions. If you are doing more than one transmitter, you must do them in the same sequence as each time you restart the program transmitter routine, the first thing it does is to clear the memory. You will see it is pretty self explanatory as you follow instructions. It will time out, so move right along with the programming.
Thanks a lot! Looks like my jeep key will work after all! Can't wait to get all 3 fobs working!