• Not all CV Axles are Created Equal

• Repair Questions and Answers.
25th Anniversary LH Platform Celebration

Membership Banner

Repair Questions and Answers.

Moderator: Moderators

#376140  by LUNAT1C
 October 17th, 2018, 4:33 pm
If you're buying Special axles for a Special, it's as easy as measuring the half shaft diameter. Base axles are harder to know, until they're installed. I would measure the assembly length, and count the splines. There is a thread here outlining the difference between Special and standard, including length and spline count. A1 said they have no way of knowing other than running them through their checks against OEM spec. I wish I knew what those specs were and what those checks were.

I had no way of knowing before ordering, took the risk, and thankfully I got OEM for both sides. My thought is, how many folks replace their axle assemblies more than once? Typically when the OEM fails, they have a shop throw on whatever they can get and they forget about it. Since these cars are getting quite old against the average daily driver, it's likely the car will be junked before needing an axle again. More often than not I think A1 will be getting OEM cores to re-manufacture. Of course that's only an assumption, but I do know other folks here have ordered the A1 Cardone reman units and had success.

Of course having said that, I did have three Chinese units on the car. The first driver's side unit ripped a boot after one year and was replaced with another to get me to Carlisle in 2017. Tossed that one out, and the Chinese units pulled out this month will be my core returns, since one of my factory originals is missing after the move. The shop that installed the reman's even questioned me on how I knew they were bad since there was no professional diagnosis and they had the record of doing the work last year, but they took me at my word that my experience wasn't unique.
 #376193  by StealthM
 October 19th, 2018, 10:34 pm
Thanks Robert I will check out that thread....
 #376244  by remi
 October 24th, 2018, 11:01 am
I guess I'm due for my own feedback here...

So because I could not get that freaking shaft off the transmission I went to a local shop and told the guy about that cheesy Suretrack (whatever) shaft issues. He said he'd take a look at it with the OEM one off the car.
He called me yesterday saying they had a hell of a fight with that shaft! But they got it after all. Then he said the new one looked thinner, less reliable and clunky. As the old one was feeling better... he offered to simply replace the boot (what I was intending to do anyway). I'm getting the car back tomorrow with a new boot on the old shaft (greased so it won't seize again) and a new shaft... in the trunk. And it's too late to send it back.

One more "stay away from these" advice on here!
 #376261  by adu1982
 October 24th, 2018, 7:18 pm
That what I did on my special on the boot I ripped pushing it with the tranny resting on it (engine was out)....couldn't get it off so I just put a new boot on it after I separated it.....then put it back......I have a empire brand one of Rock Auto somewhere in my new parts pile....

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

#376266  by LH Platform
 October 25th, 2018, 8:17 am
remi wrote: October 24th, 2018, 11:01 am I guess I'm due for my own feedback here...

So because I could not get that freaking shaft off the transmission I went to a local shop and told the guy about that cheesy Suretrack (whatever) shaft issues. He said he'd take a look at it with the OEM one off the car.
He called me yesterday saying they had a hell of a fight with that shaft! But they got it after all. Then he said the new one looked thinner, less reliable and clunky. As the old one was feeling better... he offered to simply replace the boot (what I was intending to do anyway). I'm getting the car back tomorrow with a new boot on the old shaft (greased so it won't seize again) and a new shaft... in the trunk. And it's too late to send it back.

One more "stay away from these" advice on here!

"That's what she said"
remi liked this
 #378915  by Sneke_Eyez
 May 3rd, 2019, 2:53 pm
Bump it up just as a reminder of how valuable this info is.

My "replace all my parts" Special looks like it may be calling for a driver's side axle (clunky vibration at speed) - so I went back to order another Empire unit from Rock Auto (which is the brand I used for the passenger side axle in November, 2016) and they no longer appear to carry them.

However, they have the A1 Cardone, so I'll be ordering a Special axle from them shortly, after I get done replacing all the front end stuff.
 #378917  by LUNAT1C
 May 3rd, 2019, 4:14 pm
Sneke_Eyez wrote: May 3rd, 2019, 2:53 pm Bump it up just as a reminder of how valuable this info is.

My "replace all my parts" Special looks like it may be calling for a driver's side axle (clunky vibration at speed) - so I went back to order another Empire unit from Rock Auto (which is the brand I used for the passenger side axle in November, 2016) and they no longer appear to carry them.

However, they have the A1 Cardone, so I'll be ordering a Special axle from them shortly, after I get done replacing all the front end stuff.
That is the way to go. I had the Empire/Surtrack on both sides of my Special and was left with a clunk every time I shifted between reverse and drive. I removed those axles after a year of service (one of them would have been two if it didn't rip a boot after only one year) and replaced them with A1 Cardone remanufactured units.

Instantly the car was noticeably better. Drives better, no vibrations, no clunk between reverse and drive.

If you have a Special, DO NOT BUY EMPIRE OR SURTRACK OR ANY FACSIMILE OF THOSE. A1 Cardone, or junkyard, is all you should be looking at.
 #378918  by Sneke_Eyez
 May 3rd, 2019, 7:59 pm
LUNAT1C wrote: May 3rd, 2019, 4:14 pm That is the way to go. I had the Empire/Surtrack on both sides of my Special and was left with a clunk every time I shifted between reverse and drive. I removed those axles after a year of service (one of them would have been two if it didn't rip a boot after only one year) and replaced them with A1 Cardone remanufactured units.

Instantly the car was noticeably better. Drives better, no vibrations, no clunk between reverse and drive.

If you have a Special, DO NOT BUY EMPIRE OR SURTRACK OR ANY FACSIMILE OF THOSE. A1 Cardone, or junkyard, is all you should be looking at.
I'm thinking you have some information that the Empire units are the same as the Surtrack, but my passenger side axle has been just fine - and Keith ordered the Empire unit as well with good results - that's what started the thread.

Empire does not seem to remanufacture them anymore, so it is all a relatively moot point - I'll be ordering the Cardone.
 #378923  by Mottman
 May 4th, 2019, 6:43 am
When sales drop because customers and retailers relate
they're products as junk. Or when Scamazon or flea-bay
stop carrying the products ( due to excessive complaints
or warrantee issues ).
A typical ploy with Chinese manufacturers is to change
names, stick a new decal on the box and just keep
cranking out the same trash !

Sadly, we cant even 100% trust the reputable brands nowadays.
 #378994  by Sneke_Eyez
 May 13th, 2019, 2:57 pm
Now here's a question - on Rockauto's site, they show a brand new Special axle from Cardone as well as a remanufactured Special axle from Cardone.

Any reason to get one over the other? (The remanufactured requires a $50 core.)