• Purge Valve

• Repair Questions and Answers.
Ocean City 2019 Banner

Membership Banner

Repair Questions and Answers.

Moderator: Moderators

#236557  by JTROANOKE
 September 29th, 2010, 6:07 pm
Iwant2playNOW wrote:quick question here...hope I didnt misread the results, but...

Why would you have to pay the dealer $100 if the problem was caused by a recall that they failed to notify you of prior to any work being done. When the service advisor checks your car in he/she must enter the VIN and any recalls would then "pop up". Even is their (being the dealer) did not have access to the recall when your VIN was entered, it was indeed the recall that was causing the problem.

?????????
A service bulletin is not a recall. A service bulletin is a repair procedure for a certain condition. Kind of an addendum to the service manual. Many times they are issued as guidelines for warranty repair, but once out of warranty the dealer is in no way contractually obligated to perform a service bulletin, like they are a recall notice.
 #236566  by jrichter73
 September 29th, 2010, 6:42 pm
I've got P0441 going off ... I know it's not listed as a code on the bulletin but maybe I should get a firmware update anyway. Would they seriously charge $100 for this at a chrysler dealer?
 #236570  by Bill Putney
 September 29th, 2010, 7:33 pm
jrichter73 wrote:I've got P0441 going off ... I know it's not listed as a code on the bulletin but maybe I should get a firmware update anyway. Would they seriously charge $100 for this at a chrysler dealer?
Oh you betcha. Depending on location and the dealer, diagnostics and reflashing firmware typically cost between $50 and $120 (price can vary that much on the exact same procedure).
 #236612  by jrichter73
 September 29th, 2010, 10:20 pm
Thanks for the heads up, Bill. Just to be a nerd, where would someone get their hands on the actual software to flash the system with? I'm sure the hardware would run more than the cost from having the dealer just update it but I'm just wondering if anyone here has access to any software updates .. :mrgreen:
 #236650  by Iwant2playNOW
 September 30th, 2010, 9:45 am
gotcha..I understand the difference between a bulletin and recall, but still feel that he should not have to pay $100 for a known chrysler problem. I guess, being the nice guy that i am NOT, I would have just taken my keys and given them the finger and told them to sue me for it...
 #236658  by JTROANOKE
 September 30th, 2010, 11:16 am
jrichter73 wrote:Thanks for the heads up, Bill. Just to be a nerd, where would someone get their hands on the actual software to flash the system with? I'm sure the hardware would run more than the cost from having the dealer just update it but I'm just wondering if anyone here has access to any software updates .. :mrgreen:
The software updates require a DRBIII scan tool to install - Doubt anyone has recompiled any of them for PC. If you had an 03-04 you would be due a free reflash for the J-18 recall.
 #236670  by jrichter73
 September 30th, 2010, 1:15 pm
ahhhh ok good to know! I've got an '02... I'll start calling around to some dealers to price shop a flash... I was hoping that I'd get to hack around a bit lol..
 #379018  by LESchwartz
 May 18th, 2019, 4:30 pm
SlydinClyde wrote: March 8th, 2010, 10:08 pm The solenoid attaches to a bracket near the air
cleaner.
Ummm . . . no.

At least not on my 2002 300m. On mine the purge valve was tucked up by the power brake booster. Even my Mopar shop manual says it's by the air cleaner . . . but then the manual is all the 2002 LH sedans.

Larry