Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Squeaking From the Clockspring Area

• Repair Questions and Answers.
Membership Banner

Repair Questions and Answers.

Moderator: Moderators

#379390  by In-trepid
 June 17th, 2019, 10:25 pm
My 04 Special has developed a squeaking noise best described as a rubber on rubber squeak from the clock spring area. All functions of the clock spring seem to work and it only happens when I turn the steering wheel. I remember hearing about this before, but I don't remember what the resolution was. While it is not causing any problems, it is extremely annoying while driving around town. It is just barely audible. I'm just looking for any insight before tearing into it.
 #379392  by FIREM
 June 18th, 2019, 5:27 am
That is usually the starting cry of a clockspring preparing to die. Happened on both of my M’s. A few weeks after the noise systems started to fail as it self destructed.
 #379398  by adu1982
 June 18th, 2019, 9:46 am
My lhs did it for a while , went away, came back, now it's been gone a few weeks..... I think I posted here to asking about it.

What happens when it goes bad, like what functions get affected first?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

#379399  by FIREM
 June 18th, 2019, 10:09 am
Cruise Control stops working, Air Bag light comes on, radio controls (if present) stop working.
One other note, at the base of the steering column check the rubber boot near the u joint, had one squeaking. Dry silicon lube quieted it down.
Null liked this
 #379400  by Null
 June 18th, 2019, 10:10 am
In-trepid wrote: June 17th, 2019, 10:25 pm My 04 Special has developed a squeaking noise best described as a rubber on rubber squeak from the clock spring area. All functions of the clock spring seem to work and it only happens when I turn the steering wheel. I remember hearing about this before, but I don't remember what the resolution was. While it is not causing any problems, it is extremely annoying while driving around town. It is just barely audible. I'm just looking for any insight before tearing into it.
I had something similar awhile ago..I think I posted about it but anyway for me the sound was like running your fingernails lightly over a record. I don't hear it anymore tho.