Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Exhaust repair help needed

• Repair Questions and Answers.
Membership Banner

Repair Questions and Answers.

Moderator: Moderators

#379521  by LESchwartz
 June 25th, 2019, 8:48 am
In 2015 the far rear resonator / muffler rusted out. It's the one at the far back with one input and two tips. I replaced it with a WALKER 21397 "stainless steel" unit. Guess what? Yup, four years on and it's completely rusted out again. I've got another one coming from RockAuto under warranty, but I'm not sure if it's worth it to have it installed.

Does anyone have any ideas for a more durable unit?

thanks in advance,

Larry

#379523  by FIREM
 June 25th, 2019, 12:58 pm
Unfortunately aftermarket exhaust parts, even quality ones don't last like the original exhaust systems do on todays cars.
Product Info:
"100% Stainless Steel muffler resists rust-out three times longer than competitors' premium aluminized mufflers."
"Possibly the last replacement muffler you’ll ever need"
Warranty:
"Walker warrants qualifying exhaust products against defects and wear-out when used on private passenger cars and light trucks under normal operating conditions for as long as such original purchaser owns the vehicle on which they were originally installed."
Notice they avoid "rust out" in their statement. Be happy they are at least supplying the part.
Remember, We are a little different keeping a car so long. Most people have been thru a few cars by now, and we are not even considering replacing our M's
 #379997  by skinnyg
 July 26th, 2019, 12:57 am
You could just put a straight pipe there, maybe put a dual tip on it if you want it to look stock. If it was mine I would put a 'Camaro' style dual out muffler there and run 2 tailpipes out, or 2 pipes out with 2 little resonators, or 2 pipes out with 2 dual tips etc.. Tons of ways to do it, search around threads for pics, there are even YouTube vids, members have changed the exhaust around very easily. If you look on the other side of the car there is already a threaded hole there in the frame rail for an exhaust hanger, even if you dont have a 300m special with the dual exhaust.

P.S. most of the aftermarket exhaust diagrams are incorrect, even for the 300m special, they show a single outlet muffler cause that's all they offer, you have to play with the years and engine size to try to get a correct/incorrect diagram

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk