Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Starter Solenoid Kit

• Repair Questions and Answers.
Membership Banner

Repair Questions and Answers.

Moderator: Moderators

#381182  by KxWarrior
 November 1st, 2019, 11:38 am
It appears when it rains it pours. Changed out a battery unnecessarily (it was at end of life anyways who am I kidding? :lol: ) I think it’s actually my starter going out..

As for that subject. It clicks once. Sometimes turns over sometimes won’t. My question is can someone tell me or link me to a rebuild kit? I could google it but I’m afraid I’ll mess up the keywords
 #381184  by FIREM
 November 1st, 2019, 1:02 pm
 #381192  by KxWarrior
 November 2nd, 2019, 2:16 am
Thanks Bob!
 #381203  by cin993
 November 3rd, 2019, 10:12 pm
KxWarrior wrote: November 1st, 2019, 11:38 am It appears when it rains it pours. Changed out a battery unnecessarily (it was at end of life anyways who am I kidding? :lol: ) I think it’s actually my starter going out..

As for that subject. It clicks once. Sometimes turns over sometimes won’t. My question is can someone tell me or link me to a rebuild kit? I could google it but I’m afraid I’ll mess up the keywords
This happened to me just yesterday, first time.

1st Crank, click, no start.
Key off. 2nd Crank. starts normally

Happened a couple times yesterday. Other times the car started normally today.

Is that how these 300m/ Concorde starters fail? Then eventually just Crank, No Start? You rebuilding yours?

Little trick i tried years ago on another car was to tap the starter with a wrench or small hammer to get it to turn over in a pinch.
 #381207  by M-Pressive
 November 4th, 2019, 12:12 pm
That is what happened to mine.

Found a used starter on eBay with 50k on it. Been great ever since.
 #381210  by FIREM
 November 4th, 2019, 8:59 pm
cin993 wrote: November 3rd, 2019, 10:12 pm
KxWarrior wrote: November 1st, 2019, 11:38 am It appears when it rains it pours. Changed out a battery unnecessarily (it was at end of life anyways who am I kidding? :lol: ) I think it’s actually my starter going out..

This happened to me just yesterday, first time.

1st Crank, click, no start.
Key off. 2nd Crank. starts normally

Happened a couple times yesterday. Other times the car started normally today.

Is that how these 300m/ Concorde starters fail? Then eventually just Crank, No Start? You rebuilding yours?

Little trick i tried years ago on another car was to tap the starter with a wrench or small hammer to get it to turn over in a pinch.
Starter is very robust, contacts not so much. Typical symptoms of contact failing is "intermittent no crank".
Whacking with a wrench/hammer jars the contacts just enough to work.......a few more times.......
 #381213  by cin993
 November 5th, 2019, 10:59 am
This is a great piece of advice on replacing the contacts. Thanks! If our OEM starter is Nippondenso then this quick video is spot on:

Where have you gotten your kits from and do you also replace the plunger? Ebay has them for $10. Good success after the rebuilds??

Sat morning got some work pulling the starter before the car leaves me stranded with a no start...at least it's not below zero January weather,
 #381216  by FIREM
 November 5th, 2019, 7:31 pm
https://www.amazon.com/Victory-Lap-ND-3 ... B0031HMS7C
Did the one in FIREM at 90K. now has 198K and never misses a start.
 #381218  by beespecial
 November 6th, 2019, 8:00 am
FIREM wrote: November 5th, 2019, 7:31 pm https://www.amazon.com/Victory-Lap-ND-3 ... B0031HMS7C
Did the one in FIREM at 90K. now has 198K and never misses a start.
When you did this at 90K was it necessary or preventive? I'm at 186K and it hasn't given me any trouble. Should I consider repairing the solenoid as preventive maintenance?
 #381219  by FIREM
 November 6th, 2019, 8:27 am
I had a few occurrences of no crank unless I cycled the key a few times back then. Had the car apart for its first timing belt, so I did the starter.
Maybe get a kit so you have it but I wouldn't do it as a PM thing without symptoms.
beespecial liked this
 #381221  by KxWarrior
 November 6th, 2019, 8:56 pm
Ended up finding a starter on a low mileage intrepid for 20$. Fingers crossed I can get it done quickly.

I’ve looked at the knowledge base as well as watched YouTube videos on it. I think I’m ready!
 #381924  by cin993
 January 17th, 2020, 12:16 am
It's been a couple months with my rebuilt starter and all is well. It needed new contacts, a plunger, gaskets and the bendix clutch gear was shot along with its 2 bearings. The motor itself is still strong and the brushes looked very good even after 15+ years

The job is not too bad really with the right long extension and a swivel socket...and then raising the motor slightly