Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • VTSS Light Fast Blink

• Repair Questions and Answers.
Membership Banner

Repair Questions and Answers.

Moderator: Moderators

#381350  by In-trepid
 November 25th, 2019, 6:05 pm
The following thread defines my problem to a tee, but a fix doesn't appear to be found. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I have read everything I can find, including the Factory Service Manual.

https://www.300mclub.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17865

Basically what happens is this. When I shut all of the doors and the trunk lid and then activate the lock mechanism to arm the VTTS from the fob, the light flashes fast for about 15 seconds. It then goes to the normal slow flash. Everything is good to this point. When I come back sometime later the light is fast blinking again. We first noticed this at Carlisle and I've noticed it off and on a number of times since. The car alarm is still activated evidenced by leaving the window down and reaching through to open the door and the alarm sounds. I'm kind of down to either a SKIM module issue (but this would probably cause a key recognition problem) or a BCM issue. I guess that it's possible that I could have a trunk switch issue, but that should show a different light issue based on what I read in the FSM.

If you have had this issue, what resolved it? Am I overlooking something?
 #381360  by Sneke_Eyez
 November 26th, 2019, 3:46 pm
I have seen a VTSS light fast blink caused by leaving my bluetooth OBD dongle connected.
When I remove it, it stops.

Scott had an auxiliary in adapter for the radio in his 2001 LHS that caused the same issue.
 #381379  by In-trepid
 November 28th, 2019, 11:17 am
I leave the OBDII dongle connected most of the time. I will remove it and see what happens. Thanks for the info.
 #381602  by In-trepid
 December 17th, 2019, 6:36 pm
I've tried a few things to pin down this fast blink situation. I removed the OBDII dongle with no change to the problem. I tried a few different ways of locking the car - all with no change. I finally found something that makes a difference. It may take the some time for the light to go to fast blink. It doesn't do it right away. Sometimes that may be an hour and sometimes it may be a day. What I stumbled upon is that if it is in fast blink and I open only the trunk and not unlock the doors, the light goes out. When I close the trunk, the light comes on in slow blink mode and has stayed in slow blink mode for a couple of days - longer than it ordinarily does. This leads me to believe that it is related to the trunk. Keith had mentioned something like that at Carlisle, but didn't remember the exact details. Does anyone know if there is a switch that is activated for trunk closed or if there is some sort of contacts that may need cleaning of are bad? The alarm sets initially and even if you open a door when in fast blink mode it sounds the alarm. This has me a bit confused, but it seems we are making progress.
 #381621  by Sneke_Eyez
 December 18th, 2019, 4:50 pm
I'm honestly not sure, but I am curious now.

It has always been my understanding that the trunk is tied into the VTSS system, but I don't know in exactly what way.
I assumed that if you "popped" the lock you'd have the alarm sound.
 #381622  by hrmwrm
 December 18th, 2019, 5:16 pm
probably sensed by the bcm through the trunk light switch.
maybe not shutting off properly.
 #381625  by FIREM
 December 18th, 2019, 9:49 pm
There is a plunger type switch in the lock cylinder mounting. If the lock cylinder were pulled to gain access, alarm will trip. Check to see if the lock is loose on its mount or wire issue at the hinge area.
 #381632  by In-trepid
 December 19th, 2019, 5:56 pm
I got a complete setup with cable and all from the yard today. Should have everything I need to fix the problem if it is trunk lid related.

#381636  by EasyRider300M
 December 20th, 2019, 12:22 am
watching this thread with interest as I have a similar issue with the fast blinking SL
 #382203  by EasyRider300M
 February 5th, 2020, 5:42 pm
John....so did changing those parts solve the "fast blink' issue?
'
 #382213  by In-trepid
 February 6th, 2020, 10:48 pm
I haven't changed the parts yet as I have the car semi-stored for winter, meaning it can be used if needed but will stay in the garage if not. What found is if I lock the car with the remote until it blinks normal and then pop the trunk lid and shut it again, it never goes into fast blink mode. I will be changing these parts out at some point and will post results when I do.
 #382291  by 02SilverSpecial
 February 12th, 2020, 4:57 pm
My theory on this since all of my LHs at some point have experienced this fast blink is something on the PCI bus is causing an issue. Like Ryan said the PAC module and the OBD dongle (both of which have a connection to PCI) seemed to correct my fast blink. Since the VTSS utilizes the bus to monitor all the switches a signal on the bus is causing it to not let specific modules sleep and putting the VTSS into whatever mode this is. I was able to catch this blink and verify that the VTSS was still working as the alarm went off when I manually opened a door while it was hyper blinking.
 #382298  by In-trepid
 February 13th, 2020, 9:02 pm
02SilverSpecial wrote: February 12th, 2020, 4:57 pm My theory on this since all of my LHs at some point have experienced this fast blink is something on the PCI bus is causing an issue. Like Ryan said the PAC module and the OBD dongle (both of which have a connection to PCI) seemed to correct my fast blink. Since the VTSS utilizes the bus to monitor all the switches a signal on the bus is causing it to not let specific modules sleep and putting the VTSS into whatever mode this is. I was able to catch this blink and verify that the VTSS was still working as the alarm went off when I manually opened a door while it was hyper blinking.
I have also verified the same thing. Alarm is still set and working. Unfortunately when stored for the winter in the heated garage at my condo, the battery tends to go dead when in fast blink if I don't start and drive it every 3 weeks or so. Now that I have found the work around, I'm not seeing the dead battery scenario. I wish I had a means to hook up something to keep the battery topped off, but the closest outlet is 6 spaces away and my parking neighbors probably wouldn't appreciate the power cord running past their parking space.
 #382299  by beespecial
 February 13th, 2020, 9:47 pm
Is there a light in your garage? if so, can you converit it to an outlet that you could plug a battery tender into to keep the battery topped off? I've seen plug outlets that you can screw into a light fixture to convert it to an outlet. Would that work for you? Hard for me to believe that you have a heated garage that has no electrical outlet.
 #382303  by In-trepid
 February 14th, 2020, 9:27 pm
John, I live in a condo with a 100 car garage. It has perimeter hot water heat in the floor (constant 65 degrees in the winter). The lighting is all LED 3 bulb fixtures. There are outlets around the garage, but not by my car. If you remember, the condo association gave me a hard time a year ago for having too many cars on site. I have to tread a bit carefully not to draw attention now.