Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Will shut off after reaching operating temp

• Repair Questions and Answers.
Membership Banner

Repair Questions and Answers.

Moderator: Moderators

#385415  by Banjoman1
 August 10th, 2020, 2:04 pm
So I recently came into ownership of a 1999 300m that will start normally when cold, but around 20 minutes of operation, the car will shut of and not start. It will crank, but not give any indication that it will fire off. It does not misfire or sputter before it shuts off, nor does the check engine light come on. When using a scan tool and going into the enhaced dtc, i get a p0320 code. The crankshaft and camshaft sensors were replaced at one point, as well as the pcm most recently. the problem has both my father and I stumped.
 #385418  by Sneke_Eyez
 August 10th, 2020, 4:13 pm
These engines like OEM sensors only. Many a mystifying problem related to stalling/starting has been solved by simply installing OEM cam/crank sensors.

That would be where I would start.
 #385419  by StealthM
 August 10th, 2020, 11:49 pm
Yes as Ryan said OEM only on stuff like that. Save yourself the time and frustration.....
 #385421  by LUNAT1C
 August 11th, 2020, 9:01 am
There are certain parameters and frequencies that the PCM looks for from each sensor to confirm operation. When it doesn't see that, things go awry. Aftermarket sensors don't use those frequencies, so OEM is the only option. Aftermarket might work OK for a few months, but they always end up causing more issues.
 #385422  by hrmwrm
 August 11th, 2020, 11:54 pm
Banjoman1 wrote: August 10th, 2020, 3:31 pm from what I've found out, the sensors were not oem. so far i haven't followed the crank wires, but will do so.
then i'd try the sensors before you spend time chasing bad wires. that it runs means they are probably fine.
if not, then it might be a chafing wire that flexes just right at a certain temp.