Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • '02 300M rev issue

• Repair Questions and Answers.
2022 Calendar Banner

Membership Banner

Repair Questions and Answers.

Moderator: Moderators

#389989  by Regnent

Been working on daughters car, 2002 300M, and have yet to resolve two issues.

Will not rev over 2900 rpm, parked or driving. You can ease up to 2800-2900, then it will surge back and forth 50-100 rpm. Giving it more, I can hear the exhaust sound change, but the RPM still hangs around 2900 rpm.
Stepping on it from idle you can tell it's a bit gutless.

2nd issue, that may or may not be related to #1, missfire on 4 and 5 (coil D, E). Comes and goes, used to be just one of them, I think D is the usual culprit, with E joining after ticking it off hitting 2900 rpm.

We replaced the one head, as cyl 1 had no compression, all cyls had 125-150 after, new gaskets, etc. Did plugs, Cam/Crank sensor, checked timing, did all o2 sensors, timing belt.

Just finished going over the engine harness, and I couldn't find anything wrong with it.

Any advise would be wonderful

Tried swapping coils, code stays put, can't find any vacum leaks
 #389990  by FIREM

Welcome David I'm sure we can help. A few notes and questions.
Miles and why did you have to swap a head other than no compression, what happened ? (# 1 Passenger side)
CEL/MIL Any Codes?
Governor kick in @ 2900 in neutral and on the road?
Trans shift OK , speedo work? (PCM needs to sense D + road speed to disable N Limit)
Cam sensor ? OEM or Aftermarket ? Aftermarket for cam/crank sensors always suspect, OEM Only for these.
Did you leave the paper spacer on the sensor? must do as it sets the gap.

Misfire comes and goes should usually trip either a coil code or an injector code ?
Compression for all within 10% of each other??
(125 to 150 appears lower than what I have found but there are variables. At least 5 strokes per cyl and wide open throttle usually results closer to 200)
O2 Sensors: NO Bosch correct?? Only OEM/NGK/NTK
 #389991  by Regnent

FIREM wrote:Miles and why did you have to swap a head other than no compression, what happened ? (# 1 Passenger side)
161k I think, under 200.
Chowdered camshaft, almost no compression, Lobe on #1 was chewed up, near impossible to find a shaft, so salvaged a head.
We bought it like that.
FIREM wrote:CEL/MIL Any Codes?
Currently, Coil D, E

We've had all sorts of codes, hence alot of sensors replaced.
FIREM wrote:Governor kick in @ 2900 in neutral and on the road?
If its a governor, yes. Park, nuetral, eased in otherwise.
FIREM wrote:Trans shift OK , speedo work? (PCM needs to sense D + road speed to disable N Limit)
Trans shifts, though we did have a trans code (solenoid) that is no longer thrown, and it's always shifted, both in auto and manual.
FIREM wrote:Cam sensor ? OEM or Aftermarket ? Aftermarket for cam/crank sensors always suspect, OEM Only for these.
Did you leave the paper spacer on the sensor? must do as it sets the gap.
uhm...BWD, aftermarket I'm assuming. I will check for the spacer later, I coulda sworn I read to leave it on, but now I'm not sure if I did or not. *edit* Upon checking, Cam sensor has no spacer (though I don't see how that would help as the mount is 90. The Crank sensor mounts in the same direction as the sensor, I will check that one later.
FIREM wrote:Misfire comes and goes should usually trip either a coil code or an injector code ?
Just coil D, E, we used to have a constant misfire on cyl 1, but that has gone away (almost replaced a number of engine grounds)
FIREM wrote:Compression for all within 10% of each other??
I only did 3 strokes, one was low, the other 5 were within 10%
FIREM wrote:O2 Sensors: NO Bosch correct?? Only OEM/NGK/NTK
uhmmm.... I'm thinking NT or NGK,, would have to see if I have any of the boxes left around.
 #389994  by FIREM

More notes::
These engines have a built in REV Limiter when in Neutral and or limp mode, that's why I asked about the trans.
Cam Sensor Spacer (approx .030"/two match book covers) sets a gap between the tone ring and sensor. If it contacts the tone ring it can be damaged and do weird things. (Usually would be a P0320- P0344 code)
Did you do a Compression test after the head/cam swap?
Not sure I understand " Coil C,D,E. Passenger side bank is 1 Cyl1,3,5 Driver side Bank 2 Cyl2,4,6
Does the misfire and code follow the coil?
What are the codes? Just because you have a code does not mean you have to change a sensor or part. Could be a wiring or connection issue.
 #389995  by In-trepid

I would start with a cam sensor. OEM Mopar only. I've had the issue twice with a bad cam sensor and it revs fine to about 2500 or so, then starts misfiring. I usually got a P0340 error along with multiple misfire errors. Putting in a new cam sensor fixed the problem and when I reset the errors, none came back. Bob has given good advice on what to look for and how to set the can sensor correctly.
 #390047  by Regnent

Might be stuck trying a new cam sensor.

Neither sensor has spacers (checked a 2nd in the box for the crank), and the cam sensor, well here's a pic, I suppose a person could use a spacer, that I am at a loss why (attached).

P0354 Ignition Coil D Primary/Secondary Circuit
Shows up once you rev up to about 1800, you feel the occasional stutter before the code shows.

P0355 Ignition Coil E Primary/Secondary Circuit
Generally only shows up once you hit about 2700-3000 rpm, idles quite rough after.

Clearing codes, car idles pretty good, but once they've both coded, idles pretty poorly till you clear codes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 #390053  by FIREM

Only the CAM sensor uses a spacer, crank does not. Sets the gap at installation and the paper "falls off harmlessly" into the front cover area.
Your misfire codes are for Cyl 4 & 5 (Rear pass side and center drivers side cyl)
Pull the plugs and verify proper gap.
Swap the coils to Cyl 1 &2, clear the codes, run the engine. see what codes set.
If it is again P0354& P0355 there is a wiring issue or PCM issue.
PCM's are very reliable, wiring must be tested first
If the codes become P0351& P0352 you have a coil issue. (Highly suspected)