Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • '99 LHS Timing Belt do I or not?

• Repair Questions and Answers.
Membership Banner

Repair Questions and Answers.

Moderator: Moderators

#395057  by GoofySenior

My son drives a '99 LHS that used to belong to his grandfather. His grandfather took great care of all is vehicles and kept fairly good records. My son called and said he had a big water leak and brought it to me to diagnose (lol) and fix (bigger lol). Anyway turned out to be the crimp on the radiator. So while I had the radiator out, I figured timing belt and water pump. I looked through grandpa's records and the only one I can find that shows WP and TB was changed at 102K miles. It has 180K on it now so I pulled the harmonic BW and the covers and I got to tell ya everything under the covers looks factory fresh and new. So I wonder if the TB and WP has been done again at a later date and we just don't have the paperwork. We asked Grandpa but @ 98 he just doesn't remember. BIG QUESTION Do I change it or put it all back together!!??
GoofySenior(Dave)
 #395059  by StealthM

Well you got it all ripped apart, might as well do it and have the piece if mind that's its good to go...
 #395061  by LUNAT1C

You're already in there and you don't have concrete evidence that's been done in the last 7 years. Do it now. It's cheap insurance and doesn't cost you anything more than the belt and pump at this point.

The belt usually looks brand new even if it was installed at the Trenton Engine plant all those eons ago. Doesn't mean it's OK. Imagine going to the trouble of replacing the radiator, investigating the belt, leaving the belt as-is, and then the belt rips within the next month or year. Guarantee you'll be mighty upset with yourself if you skipped it. Doing it now, that won't be an issue.
TrepKing95 liked this
 #395066  by M-Pressive

I agree with the above statements. I would just change it.
 #395067  by cin993

interference engine here, not a camry. change out the tb, it's easy. why roll the dice?
 #395076  by In-trepid

With no records to support a change, I would error on the side of safety and change it.
 #395108  by hrmwrm

unlike an oil bathed chain, belts are subject to oxidation and hardening over time, not just wear.
if time is unknown, it's a replacement.
 #395125  by GoofySenior

Thanks to all!! So after I put the TB on and rotate the engine by hand a couple times and recheck the timing marks, should I start the engine for a short run prior to reassembly to see how it runs? Or is that a no no?
 #395135  by In-trepid

I have started the engine before, but maybe only once or twice in 5 or six times of changing the timing belt. The risk is running the water pump without water (coolant) to act as a lubricant. I would refrain from starting it if possible, but if you need to for the sake of knowing you did it right, make it brief.
 #395136  by 135sohc

one timing belt replacement I did not get the system purged enough and had a huge air bubble. My helper did not inform me they spilled 3 quarts of coolant when draining the system so when pouring it back in (I use Peak Final-Charge which is good almost forever, not the zerex G-05) I did not notice how empty the system was as it took everything and the degas bottle was full...

near as I could tell the pump ran 'dry' for about 5 minutes until I realized it. That pump was smoked, it was nice enough to start dripping almost instantly before putting the timing belt sheet metal cover back on. After that I revised my filling method and make extra certain the engine block is full of coolant before hitting the key.
 #395137  by FIREM

Do NOT START THE ENGINE WITHOUT COOLANT. 30 seconds is enough to damage if not destroy the pump seal. May not leak immediately but will shortly thereafter.
 #395138  by LUNAT1C

GoofySenior wrote: February 26th, 2024, 7:35 am Thanks to all!! So after I put the TB on and rotate the engine by hand a couple times and recheck the timing marks, should I start the engine for a short run prior to reassembly to see how it runs? Or is that a no no?
Massive no-no if the cooling system is empty. Reconnect and refill that first. I've run my engine a few times with the timing covers and accessory belts off, hoses connected and system filled. As has been said already, the water pump will otherwise dry and cook the internal seal very quickly.