Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • I am Stumped.....

• Repair Questions and Answers.
Membership Banner

Repair Questions and Answers.

Moderator: Moderators

#361447  by M-Pressive

Hey everyone,

I am having an issue with the black car and I have run out of things to check.

AC compressor began making noise at the end of last year. It would work from time to time and sometimes it would make a really loud noise. I could cycle it a few times and it would kick on.
I dealt with it for a while but needed to fix it before the hot weather started this year. I swapped the compressor with one from a junkyard, added oil and put the refrigerant in. It worked for a few weeks and then it started doing the same thing. I was told it was the clutch so I put a new oem clutch in it. Started doing it again and shredded a belt.
Last month I put a refurbished unit in the car and followed the same steps as above. I did have to splice and solder the plug from the oem unit onto this one. This one never really got super cold but did work for about a month.

We were in Philly visiting the Hoppe clan and the car did not turn over twice. Nothing at all. I cycled the key and it fired up but the AC started making the noise again. I haven't used it since. I have tried it a few times and it makes the horrible noise so I leave it off.

Today I checked the ground straps and they looked fine. The terminals looked pretty corroded so I did replace both of them today and ended up putting a new battery in it as well. The fusable link seems to be OK.

Still doing the same thing.......

What else do I check? I can't use defrost since the AC has to come on.

This may be the last straw with the car. Had to do a front caliper as well today because it froze.

Ideas?
Could it have too much oil in it?
 #361462  by LUNAT1C

I'm not sure what to tell you as I've never done AC work. Other than the compressor and clutch, has anything else in the system been replaced? If/when I replace my evap, I'm going to be replacing the drier and other things while the system is open. Not sure if those other components would be related at all. It sounds like something is gumming up the compressor and causing it to have excess stress, enough to keep it from turning over and to shred the belt.
 #361464  by M-Pressive

I know the evap was replaced as well right before I bought it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #361465  by cin993

Yes, too much oil may kill your compressor.

Refurbished (new) compressors usually come with full system charge of oil, 5, 6 , 7 ounces of PAG.
Did you dump out all this oil from the refurb? Measure the old oil in the old compressor to add a like amount in the refurb?
Did you spin the clutch by hand to move the oil into the system BEFORE putting the AC belt on and turning on the AC?

This vid at the 30minute mark is timely for you. The guy is an expert technician/instructor with lots of good tips and excellent info:

This summer i added 22oz of r134a to my system, 2 cans, $12. System was completely empty, and i new i had a leak somewhere, maybe the evaporator. Now 8 weeks later the AC is still very cold and works...so my leak must be tiny.

BTW- i like that trick with the drill bit on the Cam seal to remove it. Tried using the expensive special tool on PAtricks 300m last year which totally sucked and did not work at all... threads were dull so no bite. Drill bit and couple screws will do the job IF i ever need to on my car.

Good luck with the fix. Did you go with a 4 Seasons compressor? OEM is like double the cost
 #361519  by hrmwrm

I can't use defrost since the AC has to come on.
just unplug the compressor for the time being. it won't hurt anything.
i usually unplug mine in the winter to stop it from cycling when cold.
 #361522  by adu1982

Pressure switches not working maybe? Causing to "work" even when it shouldn't so as not to damage it self.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
 #361524  by mnitetrain

How about the belt tensioner? My 04 threw a brand new belt, found the tensioner to have gone south.
 #361527  by Countachqv

Man you get no luck on this car. BTW frozen caliper avoidance => check and lube them at each pre-winter. I do that each year now. and I go thru winter with no issue and this year I have no issues as well. Being in MA with all the salt, it is a must. I found myself doing brakes with ice in the wheel well and a garage at 35F at 10PM during week days in the past. It sucks. never again.

As far as the AC. If the compressor turns freely, i would not think anything is wrong with it. Belts do shred sometimes. Make sure it is tight right. Electrical issue ? In my case I now always get the recharge done by a pro for $90/$100 even when i do the job myself on the rest of the AC.
In the concorde I had a yard compressor that was wining for 2 years but always worked fine til the end of the car. So wining may not always be indicative of serious issues.
 #361528  by remi

Might be a useless question but... Did you check for debris in the old compressors?
Water contamination maybe?
 #361531  by paintballdude05

How about the harmonic balancer/ crank pulley? Does it have a lot of run-out?
 #361642  by user97

Late to comment -- here are my thoughts:

1) shredded belt -- means stuck AC compressor or idler. If the idler is fine, most likely AC compressor went south and sent debris into the system.

2) the debris likely plugged TXV, so that your refurbished unit could not cool the system much.

3) the flying debris keeps killing the replacement compressors.

Recommendation: remove hoses at TXV and visually inspect for debris. If present, replace compressor with a 'yard unit ($10-20), blow out the hoses as much as you can with compressed air, replace/clean TXV and replace filter drier and hope for the best.

Years ago compressor in my '02 got noisy and then got stuck (belt smoke/screech). Pulled relay -- replaced filter drier, blew out junk from outside from TXV using compressed air, pulled vacuum, yard compressor, added oil -- has been fine for the past 9 years.
 #361647  by Sneke_Eyez

What is a TXV?

Keith and I may mess around with this tomorrow.
 #361650  by M-Pressive

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

The system could have too much oil in it. The system worked for the first week or so after the new compressor was installed.

Same thing the last time the used compressor was installed. It worked for a few weeks before having an issue.

I am going to need to empty the whole system out, including the oil. Can a shop pull the fluid out including oil?

Compressor was bought from Advance refurbished. I followed the instructions in terms of oil to add but I am not sure what was added in the past.
 #361651  by M-Pressive

remi wrote:Might be a useless question but... Did you check for debris in the old compressors?
Water contamination maybe?
No debris in old compressors. Not sure about water contamination.
 #361661  by FalKen

M-Pressive wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

The system could have too much oil in it. The system worked for the first week or so after the new compressor was installed.

Same thing the last time the used compressor was installed. It worked for a few weeks before having an issue.

I am going to need to empty the whole system out, including the oil. Can a shop pull the fluid out including oil?

Compressor was bought from Advance refurbished. I followed the instructions in terms of oil to add but I am not sure what was added in the past.
most common shops A/C machines will only evacuate Freon moisture and air. You may find an A/C specialty shop that has a flush machine that chemically removes oil and debris.

In short only a chemical flush or replacing parts that contain any excessive oil will remove all the oil. excessive oil will usually end up in the lowest lying areas. IE: receiver/dryer and the evaporator.

What I would try if you really believe there is too much oil is this.
1: remove compressor drain oil into a measured container to see how much is there.
2:replace dryer.
3: this is optional since you its cheap and you will need to remove for next step. (expansion valve)
4: use some compressed air to push as much excessive oil out of evaporator as possible (maybe keep a container on the other end to monitor amount)
5: replace compressor with proper amount of oil (maybe 1- 2 oz. less to be safe)
6: pull vacuum for 1/2-1 hour
7:properly recharge and monitor gauges for proper pressures and or fluctuations

If you don't feel like doing this yourself you can track down a place that has the chemical flush machine but expect to drop some money.
 #395446  by rustybronco

What is a TXV
I know this is an old post.

Thermostatic eXpansion Valve.
 #395521  by Sneke_Eyez

I'm 35 years old and been working on these cars since I was 16 and I still learn something new everyday! :D