Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Engine Swap

• LH Performance Modification Discussions
25th Anniversary LH Platform Celebration

Membership Banner

LH Performance Modification Discussions
 #377747  by robjam
 February 11th, 2019, 9:42 am
Hello, I have a 2003 300M Special. Unfortunately it is a car that will just be used for parts. I wish to take the engine and transmission and use them into a hotrod. I have questions about how much of the computer and harness need to be reused, and what things could be eliminated. I expect that all of the engine management/Ecu etc will be needed, as well as anything controlling the transmission such as wheel speed sensors etc. I am wondering how much can be removed and not used, and still keep full functionality of the drive train.
Thanks.
 #377751  by FIREM
 February 11th, 2019, 12:06 pm
Could be quite a task. Not to discourage you but over the years we have seen some issues. I am not sure that my first choice for a Hot Rod would be this combo. There are no aftermarket performance parts for this 250 hp engine. Trans design is not as efficient and some and also appears to have some limitations. Engine rod bearings are not "happy" at high RPM's and have been known to fail so regular "spirited driving" might have an impact.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27345
Unsure as to exactly what has to be used however there are some things to consider. The Electronics of these cars are integrated to both the PCM (powertrain control module) and BCM (body control module) Starting and ignition is protected by a SKIM (sentry key immobilizer module) I do not know exactly what has to be present so more research would be needed. 02 and up engine & trans are incorporated into a single module (pre 02 had separate)
There was a guy that swapped a 3.5 into a Fiero : viewtopic.php?f=38&t=30992
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=31308
There was an electrics guru that used to help us here, now spends time here :https://www.dodgeintrepid.net/ under the name of "peva" that may be more knowledgeable as to the electronics needed to do the job.
Please do let us know if you move forward with the project.
robjam liked this
 #377756  by robjam
 February 11th, 2019, 12:30 pm
Thank you. Hopefully I am up for the challenge. I am using the motor in a mid engine configuration in a lightweight tube chassis. Probably end up between 1600-1800 lbs, which hopefully will relieve some of the stresses. I will probably pull all the harnesses, and then try to learn what I can do without.
 #377873  by TrueBlue
 February 21st, 2019, 2:55 pm
That is an absolutely awesome project, in every sense of the word. Got any images?
 #377897  by XboXC
 February 23rd, 2019, 8:43 am
I know, some guy has swapped it to 5.7 V8 from 300C. After few days his axles has cracked and broken