Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Any issues putting 02 Special PCM into a 03 Special? Will be programed with 03's Vin, miles & Skim.

• LH Performance Modification Discussions
ROM Banner

Membership Banner

LH Performance Modification Discussions
 #388092  by Mopar1

Greetings...PCM gurus!

Any issues you see in what I am trying to do or guidance is much appreciated!

I want the 02 Specials quick shift tranny programming on my 03 Special, so I purchased a 02 Special PCM PN 04896554 and am having it programed to my vin with my mileage, and skim reset.
Just Plug-n-Play or is this a fail? :roll:
 #388096  by LUNAT1C

To do this mod I had to spend many thousands of dollars... but it came with an 02 Special wrapped around it in the packaging :lol:

I can't answer the question about your 03 VIN but my understanding is the BCM carries the mileage, not the PCM. Someone else can correct me if I am wrong. I believe others have simply swapped in the PCM along with the SKIM from the donor car and either had their keys programmed to the new SKIM or taped the gray key from the donor car to the new SKIM. Dealer should be able to program it to your SKIM though to avoid that headache (and maintain the engine immobilizer in the event of a theft).
 #388102  by FIREM

If you only have the PCM then you needed to confirm you can find a dealer/someone that can reprogram SKIM/VIN (mileage optional)
Dealer support for our "old cars" is dyeing fast
If you have the SKIM & Key that match the PCM plug & Play
 #388111  by In-trepid

I have a PCM, SKIM, and ignition cylinder with key from an 02 Special. It has been used on more than one occasion in an o3 and an 04 for test purposes. Works every time!
 #388114  by Mopar1

FIREM wrote: June 3rd, 2021, 5:48 pm If you only have the PCM then you needed to confirm you can find a dealer/someone that can reprogram SKIM/VIN (mileage optional)
Dealer support for our "old cars" is dyeing fast
If you have the SKIM & Key that match the PCM plug & Play
Thanks everyone for the replies!
Yes its being programed with my vin, mileage and skim reset.
I've red but not seen it confirmed that there could be airbag issue, if they are not matched to with or without side AB.
I've also read that this info is from the AB module and should not be a problem.
Hoping!!!
 #388118  by LUNAT1C

It's been a while, but I remember posts about that regarding the instrument cluster. If you install an instrument cluster from a non-side airbag car into a car that has them, it recalibrates and everything is copesetic. The other way around, however, requires dealer reprogramming of the cluster.

I don't believe this impacts the PCM, though I could be wrong. I do know that 02 Special PCMs are swapped into Intrepids all day long and many of them do not have side air bags.

If you're having a dealer reprogram for you (and make sure they are NOT reprogramming it with the 03 Special programming correct to the car, if the 02 Special software is what you're after), then they should be able to detect and correct any airbag issues if necessary.
Mopar1 liked this
 #388119  by FIREM

No worries Air Bag is BCM controlled thus the instrument cluster issues.
Should check that the latest J18 recall update is done. First version caused issues that were later resolved.
Mopar1 liked this
 #388337  by Mopar1

FIREM wrote: June 4th, 2021, 2:26 pm No worries Air Bag is BCM controlled thus the instrument cluster issues.
Should check that the latest J18 recall update is done. First version caused issues that were later resolved.
So I'll also need to change the instrument cluster from a non side AB car if I add non side AB seats to my side AB equipped car besides the BCM?
And thanks so much for the replies!
 #388338  by FIREM

If you are changing only the PCM then no cluster or BCM changes are needed.