• K&N intake but no hood scoop!

• LH Performance Modification Discussions
25th Anniversary LH Platform Celebration

Membership Banner

LH Performance Modification Discussions
 #230137  by myearwood
 July 2nd, 2010, 12:54 pm
Hey all

I put in a K&N cold air intake last summer, cone filter, heat shield, big pipe replacing the stock air box and all. Feels and sounds good. But!!!! At higher speeds (like what 60mph?), is it not true that a hood scoop will begin to provide more incoming air than the engine is drawing? If so, then I would want to get a functional hood scoop, which also prevents water from getting in.

I've seen dual scoops on some cars and am thinking to put a functional one over the location of the stock airbox and a fake one in the same place on the opposite side of the hood.

Do you see any problems with this plan?

Thanks

Mike
 #230140  by 85merk
 July 2nd, 2010, 1:04 pm
we have similar ideas but i'm going to be installing a pair of louvers, not hood scoops at those two locations.
i'm more interested in venting out the massive underhood hot air.

a hood scoop facing foward would draw in water.
perhaps you're thinking of cowl induction instead? (reversed hood scoop)
 #230143  by myearwood
 July 2nd, 2010, 1:15 pm
Hi 85merk!

The reversed one never made sense to me. How much positive air pressure can be added by the air at the junction of the hood and windshield? Water can be directed out. I will have to completely seal the air filter to get any positive effects too right?

Mike
 #230155  by JoeKD
 July 2nd, 2010, 3:03 pm
You are talking about making a functional ram air. I have seen in person a functional ram air with an air duct under the front end but even for that one he needed to relocate the battery to the trunk.

My honest opinion is that the $$ you will spend is not worth the gains you will see (if you see any at all)
 #230160  by 300maximilien
 July 2nd, 2010, 3:43 pm
joekd wrote:You are talking about making a functional ram air. I have seen in person a functional ram air with an air duct under the front end but even for that one he needed to relocate the battery to the trunk.

My honest opinion is that the $$ you will spend is not worth the gains you will see (if you see any at all)
x2
 #230163  by Red Baron
 July 2nd, 2010, 4:32 pm
Hood scoops are terribly misunderstood.

No hood scoop ever made on any car has ever added any horsepower due to any Ram Air effect. That is NOT their purpose. The purpose is to promote laminar flow of air.

I know there are those that will disagree even in engineering circles citing something called resonance supercharging. For that to have any effect the intake stream must be tuned perfectly to a particular size, shape, length and diameter. Even then it only makes a miniscule difference and does so ONLY when the combination of temperature, air density and vehicle speed meet the engineered parameters.

YMMV
 #230165  by 85merk
 July 2nd, 2010, 5:47 pm
imo ram air has only shown any kind of change on a carburetor.
the computer on FI would simply re-adjust itself somehow.

as for benefits, ram air is nothing more than introducing the coolest possible outside air.
combine that with sticking your AIT sensor in the ram air or out the hood and you
gain HP by cheating the computer into thinking the air is cooler.
 #230173  by 300Michael
 July 2nd, 2010, 7:55 pm
I have had a functional hood scoop, and have found the following.
The only increase in HP would be because of the air temp comming into the intake. My scoop ran about 20 deg F cooler then the K&N type (I used a JoeK type).
The Ram Air effect only starts at about 70-75mph, also dependant on the scoop design and shape.
Water in mine was easily ducted out. Never had a problem.
I did mine for a total cost of about $75 back in 01. The main advantage is cooler air. and you want a very short intake pipe (which get hot and conducts heat to the air traveling inside).
 #230176  by Red Baron
 July 2nd, 2010, 8:09 pm
Indeed cool air is the key. Cool air is denser air. More molecules of O2 per liter of air. More oxygen means more fuel can be added to maintain the stoichemetric ratio needed for proper combustion.

I disagree with trying to "fool" the computer by fooling the IAT. All you do is add more fuel WITHOUT adding more air and the mix is too rich.
 #230181  by Brando26
 July 2nd, 2010, 9:54 pm
Not to mention in the current filter position not using the filter box you are drawing air from both the factory hole/duct and the wheel well (battery cooler fins) so its not like the hole is the only thing providing air, there is plenty of air coming from numerous access points, not just the filter box input.
 #230186  by Red Baron
 July 2nd, 2010, 10:29 pm
This is the proper intake.

#230223  by Brando26
 July 3rd, 2010, 6:24 am
lmao! dont worry about the water or anything :P
 #230235  by Bill Putney
 July 3rd, 2010, 8:20 am
brando26 wrote:lmao! dont worry about the water or anything :P
On the other hand, it makes an effective snorkel for wading creeks. :)
 #230246  by 85merk
 July 3rd, 2010, 9:56 am
Red Baron wrote:I disagree with trying to "fool" the computer by fooling the IAT. All you do is add more fuel WITHOUT adding more air and the mix is too rich.
I think you're confusing supercharging with introducing cold air.

If you bring in cool air and fool the IAT, the result is more fuel, denser cool air molecules and your computer increases timing, thus power.
It's been done for generations, maybe it's just that i'm not explaining it right, more than likely lol
 #230262  by Brando26
 July 3rd, 2010, 12:42 pm
Bill Putney wrote:
brando26 wrote:lmao! dont worry about the water or anything :P
On the other hand, it makes an effective snorkel for wading creeks. :)
heck yeah! Imma get a cone filter and adapter just so I can do that! You know.. Be prepared for floods and all. Should prolly change the interior carpet to vinyl to clean easier.