Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • K&N intake but no hood scoop!

  • LH Performance Modification Discussions
25th Anniversary LH Platform Celebration

Membership Banner

LH Performance Modification Discussions
User avatar
 #230267  by Maximus
 July 3rd, 2010, 1:52 pm
Don't forget to pipe the exhaust up over the roof line...
:P
 #230270  by Red Baron
 July 3rd, 2010, 2:00 pm
Maximus wrote:Don't forget to pipe the exhaust up over the roof line...
:P
Got that covered.

Old Exhaust

Image

New true duals

Image

Who needs mufflers
 #230282  by Tarheel
 July 3rd, 2010, 4:22 pm
[quote="Red Baron"]This is the proper intake.

For what? :ohwell
 #230405  by myearwood
 July 5th, 2010, 3:18 pm
Red Baron wrote:
Maximus wrote:Don't forget to pipe the exhaust up over the roof line...
:P
Got that covered.

Old Exhaust

Image

New true duals

Image

Who needs mufflers
Let me see if I can say this properly. 'Y'all sure are funny!" ;) Love the comedy, guys!

If you take a car tuned for New York altitude and go to Denver, do you have to get a tune-up? Will it misfire in Denver if tuned for New York? Does the ECM compensate?
 #230406  by Red Baron
 July 5th, 2010, 3:25 pm
tarheel wrote:
Red Baron wrote:This is the proper intake.

For what? :ohwell
For drag racing.
 #230412  by Tarheel
 July 5th, 2010, 4:04 pm
Red Baron wrote:This is the proper intake.

Image

Image

Image

Image

I'm sure that helps the aerodynamics and the aesthets as well as sucking the bugs off the windshield. :P
User avatar
 #230413  by Maximus
 July 5th, 2010, 4:34 pm
Hey Don, if you take that thing and extend the tubing into the firewall, you can run your A/C and angle the filter to the vents and really get going.
 #230414  by 85merk
 July 5th, 2010, 4:57 pm
tarheel wrote:I'm sure that helps the aerodynamics and the aesthets as well as sucking the bugs off the windshield. :P
i argued hood aerodynamics with the track owner all the time, but he just wouldn't have it, regardless how many times i proved him wrong.
i would remove my hood so i could get rid of the heat.
doing so IMO resulted in better times from the gain obtained via the cooler air.
he argued removing a hood has been repeatedly proven to cost you 3-4 tenths from the aerodynamic turbulence.

so i showed him my time slips and explained my math :

removal of hood = +7 tenths faster
aero drag = -4 tenths

7 - 4 = 3

end result = i'm still +3 tenths faster minimum no matter how you look at it.
 #230708  by myearwood
 July 8th, 2010, 1:26 pm
Anybody wanna guess if the altitude is a factor? :)

I am really interested in scientific testing. If I take a car to get dyno'd and want to know if a functional hood scoop is working, wouldn't the shop have to provide a 70mph + wind at some realistic point in the dyno run?

A supercharger would be better, I guess, but is there one for the 3.5 engine?
 #230724  by 85merk
 July 8th, 2010, 4:52 pm
myearwood wrote:A supercharger would be better, I guess, but is there one for the 3.5 engine?
we were the first ones to do it on our Pacifica 3.5 for SEMA 2003 8)

Image

but at the time nobody could tune the computer so it stayed show-only after melting pistons twice at just 4-6 psi.
 #232363  by myearwood
 July 28th, 2010, 5:48 pm
brando26 wrote:Not to mention in the current filter position not using the filter box you are drawing air from both the factory hole/duct and the wheel well (battery cooler fins) so its not like the hole is the only thing providing air, there is plenty of air coming from numerous access points, not just the filter box input.
That's true. I think I'd need a scoop, get plenty of cold air, a sealed insulated box and no melting-pistons superchargers. :)

http://www.racecarbook.com/pdfs/16.pdf
 #242380  by anton008
 December 19th, 2010, 5:08 pm
Has anybody got pics of their C.A.I. I can view? I have just removed the box and put a cone on the factory tube. How much of a difference in performance would there be changing out the stock exhaust? Does the gain justify the cost?
User avatar
 #242386  by JoeKD
 December 19th, 2010, 7:05 pm
anton008 wrote:Has anybody got pics of their C.A.I. I can view? I have just removed the box and put a cone on the factory tube.
Plenty of pics on my site www.j-intakes.com
 #242461  by anton008
 December 21st, 2010, 3:31 pm
joekd wrote:
anton008 wrote:Has anybody got pics of their C.A.I. I can view? I have just removed the box and put a cone on the factory tube.
Plenty of pics on my site http://www.j-intakes.com
Wow, thats a huge filter and pipe!! What kind of gains do you get ? And it's probably manditory to swap exhaust to run one of those?
 #242467  by Tarheel
 December 21st, 2010, 5:04 pm
anton008 wrote:
joekd wrote:
anton008 wrote:Has anybody got pics of their C.A.I. I can view? I have just removed the box and put a cone on the factory tube.
Plenty of pics on my site http://www.j-intakes.com
Wow, thats a huge filter and pipe!! What kind of gains do you get ? And it's probably manditory to swap exhaust to run one of those?
No, you don't need to "swap" exhausts, but a dual exhaust will give you a HP gain. I have a J-intake on my 300M Special and I know my M has more power :D , how much, I don't know. A J-intake is a good investment if you are looking for an inexpensive power gain and a gutteral sound.