• 4.0L Cams!!!

• LH Performance Modification Discussions
25th Anniversary LH Platform Celebration

Membership Banner

LH Performance Modification Discussions
 #302654  by mlasms08
 March 27th, 2013, 8:00 pm
Bill Putney wrote:
dmondeac wrote:You can check out my 4.0L build for pics of both the cams and the rings , I spent a fair amount time working on this issue.
So - *you're* saying to actually see what someone who's actually done it has to say!? What a concept! LOL!

http://300mclub.org/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 31&start=0

What did you do to make the cam and crank sensors work? My guess is that the easiest and cleanest route on a pre-'02 car would be to put a '02+ harness and PCM in? Or do you get into all that here?: http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/showthread.php?t=180952

????? So because I dont have pics of unmodified parts, I didnt do this? I used stock 4.0L cams, and sprockets NO MODDING!!! cam and crank sensors had no issues! Same crank tone wheel. An 02 Special has a NGC controller... guess what so does anything with a 4.0L so cam slots are same. I dont need Bil Putneys approval to say I installed 4.0L cams.
 #302665  by Bill Putney
 March 28th, 2013, 6:19 am
mlasms08 wrote:
Bill Putney wrote:
dmondeac wrote:You can check out my 4.0L build for pics of both the cams and the rings , I spent a fair amount time working on this issue.
So - *you're* saying to actually see what someone who's actually done it has to say!? What a concept! LOL!

What did you do to make the cam and crank sensors work? My guess is that the easiest and cleanest route on a pre-'02 car would be to put a '02+ harness and PCM in? Or do you get into all that here?: http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/showthread.php?t=180952

????? So because I dont have pics of unmodified parts, I didnt do this? I used stock 4.0L cams, and sprockets NO MODDING!!! cam and crank sensors had no issues! Same crank tone wheel. An 02 Special has a NGC controller... guess what so does anything with a 4.0L so cam slots are same. I dont need Bil Putneys approval to say I installed 4.0L cams.
My comments were strictly in the context of pre-'02 cars which is an important part of this conversation for people who might do this mod. If you have an '02+ car, the cams are plug-n-play. With pre'-02 they are not. My comment only had to do with that as some of us (myself as much or more than anybody else) who had *not* done it were putting our $0.02 in, and was not meant to say anything about your '02 install. It was pointed at those, including myself, who hadn't done it.

I can see how you could have misread the intent of my comments. Sorry if you took offense.
 #302678  by mlasms08
 March 28th, 2013, 9:04 am
Bill Putney wrote:
mlasms08 wrote:
Bill Putney wrote:So - *you're* saying to actually see what someone who's actually done it has to say!? What a concept! LOL!

My comments were strictly in the context of pre-'02 cars which is an important part of this conversation for people who might do this mod. If you have an '02+ car, the cams are plug-n-play. With pre'-02 they are not. My comment only had to do with that as some of us (myself as much or more than anybody else) who had *not* done it were putting our $0.02 in, and was not meant to say anything about your '02 install. It was pointed at those, including myself, who hadn't done it.

I can see how you could have misread the intent of my comments. Sorry if you took offense.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

I apologize for taking offense. Yes without some modification, this is plug and play NGC. if you have an SBEC controller I believe only slight modding is needed. Tone wheel is riveted to can sprocket. Drill rivets install old style tone wheel, good to go.
 #302686  by Bill Putney
 March 28th, 2013, 11:14 am
It's all good. Thanks
mlasms08 wrote:...Yes without some modification, this is plug and play NGC. if you have an SBEC controller I believe only slight modding is needed. Tone wheel is riveted to can sprocket. Drill rivets install old style tone wheel, good to go.
Good info.
 #302692  by paintballdude05
 March 28th, 2013, 12:45 pm
How's your gas millage with the new cams?
 #302711  by mlasms08
 March 28th, 2013, 5:34 pm
paintballdude05 wrote:How's your gas millage with the new cams?

Unfortunately for my gas mileage I live 1.1 miles from work... on the highway it seems to be about 24
 #302886  by SPAD3
 March 30th, 2013, 10:28 pm
So in simplest terms, 4.0 is plug in play for the driver side cam and Sprocket? There is no need to do both sides?
 #302894  by mlasms08
 March 31st, 2013, 9:39 am
SPAD3 wrote:So in simplest terms, 4.0 is plug in play for the driver side cam and Sprocket? There is no need to do both sides?
you have to do both sides with cam and sprocket but on older models only drivers sprocket needs tone wheel modified.
 #325057  by mlasms08
 February 7th, 2014, 10:12 pm
I just wanted to update and say that I am still going strong with the 4.0L Cams. Gas mileage is good. Good power, definitely a good project for others!
 #325172  by Countachqv
 February 9th, 2014, 11:39 am
mlasms08 wrote:I just wanted to update and say that I am still going strong with the 4.0L Cams. Gas mileage is good. Good power, definitely a good project for others!
Interesting. Improvement for easy power on these cars is scarce. Can you help out rounding up the kind of power improvement with this mod, like some type of dyno readings for thoses of us not being real hardcode mechanics? i recall reading that the factory at one point wanted the special to make 300hp but that got dropped. I wonder why the factory would not have made such an easy change.
 #325810  by mlasms08
 February 19th, 2014, 6:16 pm
no dyno for me unfortunately
 #325881  by beespecial
 February 20th, 2014, 12:10 pm
mlasms08 wrote:no dyno for me unfortunately
What does the "butt dyno" tell you? How significant is the power improvement? On the high end or low end of the power band or better throughout?
 #325983  by miska_man
 February 20th, 2014, 11:38 pm
countachqv wrote:
mlasms08 wrote:I just wanted to update and say that I am still going strong with the 4.0L Cams. Gas mileage is good. Good power, definitely a good project for others!
Interesting. Improvement for easy power on these cars is scarce. Can you help out rounding up the kind of power improvement with this mod, like some type of dyno readings for thoses of us not being real hardcode mechanics? i recall reading that the factory at one point wanted the special to make 300hp but that got dropped. I wonder why the factory would not have made such an easy change.
I believe the 42LE was the limiting factor in the 300hp goal. They figured it wouldn't last with that much power. 255 was at/close to the power limit of the transmission to begin with. Or at least that's what I recall reading :roll:
 #325988  by LUNAT1C
 February 20th, 2014, 11:49 pm
The 42LE has an upper limit of about 300 HP. Bean counters didn't want there the be warranty claims out the yin yang.
 #367133  by Reivano
 May 8th, 2017, 4:22 pm
Wonder what the whp?