• 2002 300m Special Computer - Review of Mod

• LH Performance Modification Discussions
Ocean City 2019 Banner

Membership Banner

LH Performance Modification Discussions
 #317252  by Gorm
 September 10th, 2013, 9:28 am
paintballdude05 wrote:
EGR and non-EGR cars would have different PCM programming. Early 02's still came with EGR even though it is somewhat rare to see.
Interesting...I have never seen any EGRs in 2002 although it seems possible. I have seen several early build 2002 Plenums with plugs in the bottoms instead of the EGRs. Of course the later plenums would have molded plastic caps.
 #317255  by paintballdude05
 September 10th, 2013, 10:12 am
Ryan (snakeeyes) has EGR on his '02 ES IRC.
 #317256  by 300maximilien
 September 10th, 2013, 10:23 am
That is what I was saying about the emissions change requiring a diff PCM. I had a Special plenum that I sold years ago that had to come off an EGR engine.
 #317271  by Shadowvox6
 September 10th, 2013, 1:30 pm
300maximilien wrote:That is what I was saying about the emissions change requiring a diff PCM. I had a Special plenum that I sold years ago that had to come off an EGR engine.
There were some "hybrid" motors that came out late in 01, and early in 02 before the EGR was deleted, and after the SBEC were introduced. So they would have the new engine controllers, and EGR.
 #318321  by Gorm
 September 26th, 2013, 10:40 pm
Might just have to give this another try. Found out the local gas station had been selling 87E10 under the 89 sticker for the last month and a half...Iowa AG looking into the issue. Apparently someone switched the pipeline and they didn't bother to change the stickers at half the stations they serve. Started using 91 non-ethanol as the only other option now is 87E10. Now I can chirp the tires with my current 2003 Special computer WITHOUT removing traction control.
 #318327  by FIREM
 September 27th, 2013, 5:45 am
FIREM is an early 02 with EGR. 02 Pro-Am is a later build No EGR and the Special I had was No EGR
 #318355  by Sneke_Eyez
 September 27th, 2013, 3:43 pm
paintballdude05 wrote:Ryan (sneke_eyez) has EGR on his '02 ES IRC.
Close, but while my car came with EGR, I deleted it because I could not find a 2002 Special PCM with EGR with side airbags for sale for a reasonable price. The one yard I found with a 2002 Special PCM that supposedly had EGR was from a car that did not have side airbags and having side airbags was more important to me than EGR.

Other than finding the one EGR PCM at a yard when I was looking, I was told by several dealers that 2002 Specials with EGR did exist. TFC also confirmed this back when I spoke to him, but he didn't have any to sell me.
As a result, I've never seen an EGR 02 PCM in person. But, that's not something I generally check for when I see a 2002 Special in the yard, nor is it something I am seeking. My non-EGR ES runs great.
Gorm wrote:Might just have to give this another try. Found out the local gas station had been selling 87E10 under the 89 sticker for the last month and a half...Iowa AG looking into the issue. Apparently someone switched the pipeline and they didn't bother to change the stickers at half the stations they serve. Started using 91 non-ethanol as the only other option now is 87E10. Now I can chirp the tires with my current 2003 Special computer WITHOUT removing traction control.
As far as your comments, Gorm, I have never done the swap from a 2003/4 Special PCM to a 2002 Special PCM, but I have certainly driven my 02 ES with the 2002 Special PCM, engine harness, and plenum, back-to-back with my 04 Special and the difference is night and day. Much firmer shifts, much later shifts, and a heck of a lot more power on tap, including the ability to spin the sticky Exclaims on my 20'' SRTs with it punched wide open as it shifts. My butt dyno tells me its a different motor entirely even though I know its lying!
Now granted, the ES has an intake spacer and the Special does not, but I don't think that's enough to change the feel of the car entirely...

I also drove a 99 PHP car briefly and had an opportunity to hotrod it a bit and in thinking about that ride, it doesn't seem like it was quite as quick or quite as punchy as my ES. But, that was years ago when my ES's 3.5 was still non-HO, so take that for what you will.
 #320362  by Mc3ain
 October 30th, 2013, 10:53 pm
I just bought a 300M non special from my father, and have been looking for some extra performance, is it safe to assume that if i could manage to find a 2002 special PCM that i would notice a greater difference in performance? or are there other differences between the cars, besides exhaust??

Also. my experience with different fuel grades, 87 octane, no wheel spin, and a loss of 4mpg over 91 octane, which i can get some pretty good wheel spin from even with TC on.
 #320390  by Gorm
 October 31st, 2013, 11:49 am
Mc3ain wrote:I just bought a 300M non special from my father, and have been looking for some extra performance, is it safe to assume that if i could manage to find a 2002 special PCM that i would notice a greater difference in performance? or are there other differences between the cars, besides exhaust??

Also. my experience with different fuel grades, 87 octane, no wheel spin, and a loss of 4mpg over 91 octane, which i can get some pretty good wheel spin from even with TC on.
That is odd...I used 87 all the way to Carlisle and got nearly 25.5 MPG all the way there and back. Took a long trip the other day 4+ hours both directions with 91...and got 22.3 :(

Now all the stations around here have premium at like 60+ cents above what the 87 is...can't afford to not use 87 now.
 #320393  by LUNAT1C
 October 31st, 2013, 12:07 pm
Is 89 not an option? My Special and Hemi throw fits on 89 and run smooth on 89. I use that exclusively.
 #320395  by Gorm
 October 31st, 2013, 2:41 pm
LUNAT1C wrote:Is 89 not an option? My Special and Hemi throw fits on 89 and run smooth on 89. I use that exclusively.
Nope, the options around here are now 87 with eth, 87 non-eth, and 91. :roll:
 #320398  by LUNAT1C
 October 31st, 2013, 3:00 pm
My condolences... I could never live with either of my cars.
 #348976  by Sonicrob
 August 16th, 2015, 8:50 am
So I'm about to tackle this mod. Assuming that I have the PCM, key, all lock cylinders and the immobilizer ring. this should be a plug and play affair correct? No dealership programming required?
 #348993  by paintballdude05
 August 17th, 2015, 9:46 am
Correct, no dealer if everything matches. If your dealer wants to play ball though, you could get them to install it. Most times you can get a Special PCM for cheap vs. one with the matching keys and SKIM. I've got a few PCM's that I could cut you a deal on.
 #349004  by Sonicrob
 August 17th, 2015, 1:35 pm
I already purchased a complete set with all the tumblers. I appreciate the offer though.