Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Starting to Research a Big Brake Kit

  • LH Performance Modification Discussions
25th Anniversary LH Platform Celebration

Membership Banner

LH Performance Modification Discussions
User avatar
 #339327  by M-Pressive
 November 10th, 2014, 10:45 pm
I am starting to look at some brake kits and have found some companies that make generic kits that I can piece together. I need to have some measurements to give them though and was wondering if we have this info somewhere.
I need the distance between mounting bolts on the spindle, and distance from the hub. I think I can find a kit if I can get some basic measurements but my car is tucked away at this point.

Anyone have this info or know where to get it?

Thanks
User avatar
 #354535  by tafi300M
 February 13th, 2016, 10:20 am
How did this ever turn out? Did you get the info?
User avatar
 #354545  by M-Pressive
 February 13th, 2016, 1:31 pm
I did do a lot of research but the brackets would have had to be made custom and then I would have to source the parts. Diminished returns on about 4K total price.
I ended up powder coating a set of rebuilt OEM calipers in candy red. Will be doing the same with my valve covers.

I may revisit in a couple years when I run out of other mods.
User avatar
 #354546  by tafi300M
 February 13th, 2016, 1:46 pm
I roamed through Rockauto and did not find Big Brakes that are exact fit. No wonder.
At least rears are damn small, but fronts will have to be updated as well, to preserve the brake balance. 2nd hand Subaru STI 330mm brakes with six pot Brembo calibers would be interesting. Center hole would have to be milled, tho.
User avatar
 #354570  by M-Pressive
 February 13th, 2016, 9:37 pm
tafi300M wrote:I roamed through Rockauto and did not find Big Brakes that are exact fit. No wonder.
At least rears are damn small, but fronts will have to be updated as well, to preserve the brake balance. 2nd hand Subaru STI 330mm brakes with six pot Brembo calibers would be interesting. Center hole would have to be milled, tho.
Years ago someone put Porsche calipers on an M. Not too many details out there about it though and the parts are still expensive.

Maybe someday
User avatar
 #354575  by tafi300M
 February 14th, 2016, 1:08 am
I vaquely remember that. Bolt pattern 5 x 130mm and center hole 98mm calls for spacer. That means challenge to caliber bracket as well. And in here ALL that is a no no for inspection... Maybe someday, indeed.
User avatar
 #361246  by M-Pressive
 September 6th, 2016, 8:13 am
I can going to pick this back up during the winter months.

Stay tuned!
sparky99 liked this
User avatar
 #361247  by LUNAT1C
 September 6th, 2016, 9:08 am
I've been curious about this. Once I work on my driving skill, things like tires, brakes, and suspension upgrades will be on my radar to improve my autocross times.
User avatar
 #361325  by sparky99
 September 7th, 2016, 9:11 pm
M-Pressive wrote:I can going to pick this back up during the winter months.

Stay tuned!
Not that i'm in a hurry with this, but I've been thinking about the LX SRT 8 calipers that were on my dad's car. I bet somewhere there could be a mounting point fab'd up and get those running. Plus the rotors (any machine shop should be able to drill our lug pattern into some rotors) could be a starting point on this. I know advance has replacement Calipers (07 300 SRT) for 114 each for the front. (don't know about back yet)
these come unpainted and could be done in any color you'd want. they are the exact same as the brembo 4 piston calipers that came on the car.
M-Pressive liked this
User avatar
 #361326  by M-Pressive
 September 7th, 2016, 9:13 pm
sparky99 wrote:
M-Pressive wrote:I can going to pick this back up during the winter months.

Stay tuned!
Not that i'm in a hurry with this, but I've been thinking about the LX SRT 8 calipers that were on my dad's car. I bet somewhere there could be a mounting point fab'd up and get those running. Plus the rotors (any machine shop should be able to drill our lug pattern into some rotors) could be a starting point on this. I know advance has replacement Calipers (07 300 SRT) for 114 each for the front. (don't know about back yet)
these come unpainted and could be done in any color you'd want. they are the exact same as the brembo 4 piston calipers that came on the car.
This is good info. I may go pick one up to see how things align. I can return it if it is not close at all.

Thanks!
User avatar
 #361336  by Sonicrob
 September 8th, 2016, 9:12 am
I'm thinking the big brake kits from a neon SRT4 might work on our M's with some minor modifications. During a recent trip to the pull yard, I found out that second gen neons use the same exact calipers as the second gen LH cars. So I assume the calipers shouldn't be all that different on a SRT4.

https://www.modernperformance.com/produ ... t-4-brakes
M-Pressive liked this
User avatar
 #361338  by M-Pressive
 September 8th, 2016, 9:34 am
sonicrob wrote:I'm thinking the big brake kits from a neon SRT4 might work on our M's with some minor modifications. During a recent trip to the pull yard, I found out that second gen neons use the same exact calipers as the second gen LH cars. So I assume the calipers shouldn't be all that different on a SRT4.

https://www.modernperformance.com/produ ... t-4-brakes
More good info! I am determined to find a way to make a kit for our cars.
 #361340  by snstr_auto
 September 8th, 2016, 10:07 am
Depending how quickly you need to know, I may be able to check fitment of calipers over the winter. One of the 3 SRT4's is down for winter for an engine rebuild so I can maybe sneak away a caliper to see how it lines up not a big brake caliper but an OEM one
User avatar
 #361341  by LUNAT1C
 September 8th, 2016, 10:18 am
sonicrob wrote:I'm thinking the big brake kits from a neon SRT4 might work on our M's with some minor modifications. During a recent trip to the pull yard, I found out that second gen neons use the same exact calipers as the second gen LH cars. So I assume the calipers shouldn't be all that different on a SRT4.

https://www.modernperformance.com/produ ... t-4-brakes
Interesting observation. I just postulated the question to members of DAMM on the Facebook page. Several folks there have built up NSRTs and hopefully might weigh in.

Two questions come to mind. Do the OEM NSRT front brakes swap over to the base Neon without much modification? If they do, then it's possible the NSRT big brakes do as well, likely with other NSRT components. The question then is what are those NSRT parts and do they work with the 2G LH. I suspect the knuckle will come in to play, which affects wheels bearings, hubs, axles, struts. Could be an issue there.

Second question is whether or not there is a need to upgrade the master cylinder and brake booster. Jeep offers two big brake upgrade kits for the JK and JKU Wrangler. One with and one without a booster upgrade. Folks who have installed the kit sans booster have noted the pedal feel got noticeably spongy until they also upgraded the booster. That makes sense, as you're increasing fluid volume with larger calipers.

Some things to think about.
User avatar
 #361342  by LUNAT1C
 September 8th, 2016, 10:25 am
M-Pressive wrote: This is good info. I may go pick one up to see how things align. I can return it if it is not close at all.

Thanks!
LX front brakes don't mount the same. They mount to a bracket, which then mounts to the knuckle. Ours mount to the knuckle.

The next time someone is in a yard, it might be worthwhile to pull the bracket from an LX and see how it compares to the LH knuckle. I'd be leery of custom fabrication where it concerns the front brakes.