Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Is A Magnet Safe To Use in the Steering Column?

• LH Performance Modification Discussions
Ocean City 2019 Banner

Membership Banner

LH Performance Modification Discussions
 #343085  by Chrysler1924
 February 26th, 2015, 4:20 pm
Long story short- I am going to be installing a Bluetooth microphone into my car for my cell phone. The microphone unit comes with a separate magnetic plate which adheres to a surface with a sticky pad, the microphone then sticks to the magnet and is thus removable.

I'm thinking that the ideal placement for the microphone is beside the hazard light switch on the top steering column cover behind the steering wheel. Instead of having to adhere the magnet plate to the top of that cover for the microphone to stick to, I was thinking I might mount the magnet to the underside of the steering column cover so it isn't visible and have the microphone still sit beside the hazard switch held by the magnetic pull of the plate installed under the cover.

I know that magnets can be very dangerous to have around electronics, credit cards, et cetera. My question is... is installing a small magnet on the underside of the steering column cover safe?

I know at the very least the clock spring and SentryKey systems are located very close to that area and I wasn't sure if installing a magnet may pose a danger to any of that equipment. (I'd hate for my airbag to not deploy when I need it due to some malfunction related to having a magnet in the vicinity.

It very well may not be a relevant question, but I thought I'd pose it just to be safe. Your input is appreciated!
 #343087  by LUNAT1C
 February 26th, 2015, 4:31 pm
Stick it to the top-left corner of the windshield. That's where I had the microphone for my Kenwood head unit, and calls through it were fine.
 #343093  by adu1982
 February 26th, 2015, 9:25 pm
×1 same here and quality is pretty awesome. Nobody can tell I am in a car and not on the phone.
 #343107  by Chrysler1924
 February 27th, 2015, 2:05 pm
I just feel like the top corner of the windshield is further away and not really in the direct line of your voice. But I guess if you all have had good luck with placement there, I'll give it a shot. I just figured having it on the steering column would probably be best.
 #343113  by LUNAT1C
 February 27th, 2015, 4:13 pm
What is best is line-of-sight (or voice?), not necessarily position. The microphones used by the Uconnect in my Journey are on the mirror, facing down. In my M I had it up in the top left corner, where it was invisible unless you looked for it. It could be aimed at multiple angles, so I picked one that aimed it more or less at my head. If I ever have need of mounting another one, that's where it will go.
 #343117  by mabraham
 February 27th, 2015, 8:02 pm
If you are worried about the magnet interfering with the SKIM and prefer it to be removeable why not use some strong velcro?