Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Long Time No Talk

• LH Performance Modification Discussions
Ocean City 2019 Banner

Membership Banner

LH Performance Modification Discussions
 #366431  by ddurr92
 April 8th, 2017, 8:49 pm
So to all that know me (Dylan Durr) (plastidipped 300m) i would like to say hey to everyone and i have missed you all!!
however i am here 2day to say the 99 hasnt been so well... the heater core is y 1st issue, but im sure ill tackle that b4 the winter months hit.. however the biggest issue is the car stumbles, sometimes will not run after a 30minute trip..i can hear the fuel pump go into prime when the key is turned to the ON postion.. the only codes i have is 1684 (battery) and p1289 (MTV)..i do not see the MTV being my issue since the car starts and runs fine till it get to operating temp.. i can feel it trying to stumble at red lights, but its hard to feel if you dont know the car..
i can literally drive 30mins...get gas..and car stumbles on startup...sometimes the car will not run at all..(it cranks like a champ)
i can feather the pedal and itll run more roughly but tries to stay running.. sometimes itll stall, may not even run at all...UNTIL____u let it cool for bout 20mins after the stumbling.. the it runs fine again....only to act up once more....
so, i took it to chrysler and they wont look at it cause there is no CEL on the dash.. only on key dance..
apparently the crysler dealerships are stupid around here... im out of ideas and thought bout this group... as said the car is a 99..its got the 3.5HO ..258xxx miles...
spark plugs new
timing belt replace @ 186xxx
egr seals whistle like a teapot haha
 #366435  by sparky99
 April 8th, 2017, 10:21 pm
1st question:
did you ever fix the possible fuel leak down issues you had? i'm guessing this will be related.
2nd.
heater core:

not that bad in my opinion, pull dash, replace, and reinstall. More time consuming than anything.
 #366436  by ddurr92
 April 8th, 2017, 10:46 pm
nope. fuel pressure was good ..did a fuel pressure test last week..
 #366438  by skinnyg
 April 8th, 2017, 11:08 pm
The p1289 could very well be the culprit, oil can collect there in the intake, I would take it out and see if there is any oil build up there, clean it up and put the valve back in with a new O-ring, IIRC you cannot buy the valve or O-ring separate from the intake from Chrysler, ill have to check on that, just get an O-ring from the auto parts store or hardware store

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
 #366444  by ddurr92
 April 8th, 2017, 11:56 pm
but wouldnt that cause it to stumble on every startup? is there way a way i can post a video on here?
would it be easier to send you all to a youtube video? ill have to take one in the morning...cause its 12:00am here.. would you all be interested in youtube video?
 #366445  by skinnyg
 April 9th, 2017, 12:04 am
I suppose that could cause it to stumble if it's doing something its not supposed to cause oil buildup is making it do something weird, OR the O-ring is bad and it's creating a vacuum leak, vacuum leaks can cause all kind of weird problems. I had a slight stumble issue but no codes, and also my cruise didn't work, turned out the hard plastic vacuum line going to the cruise control actuator broke, a little price of vacuum line fixed the plastic line and solved both issues. I would start buy fixing whatever codes you have and go from there. Could just be a dirty throttle body but I would fix whatever codes I have then start with narrowing it down if that doesn't fix it.
Oh and I would just upload the vid on YouTube

#366448  by ddurr92
 April 9th, 2017, 12:16 am
my cruise control line broke to a while back.. ill check up on that MTV.. it just seems like more than that.. im literally stuck wondering bout it
 #366449  by skinnyg
 April 9th, 2017, 12:23 am
If it's still broke the FIRST thing you should do is fix that and ANY vacuum leaks then go from there, vacuum leaks can cause all kinds of weird problems that will have you scratching your head

#366453  by ddurr92
 April 9th, 2017, 1:07 am
nah.. i fixed it when my CC quit working haha.. i do know by EGR seals are leaking.. they are brand new also.. they whistle like a teapot 4 some reason not unless they are upside down?
 #366454  by skinnyg
 April 9th, 2017, 1:17 am
That deff could cause some problems, I would fix your codes first, do the obvious like fix your egr, clean the throttle body and AIS, maybe new plugs, spray break clean over anywhere there could be a vacuum leak and see if you find a leak, start with the basics

#366455  by skinnyg
 April 9th, 2017, 1:19 am
Did you drive with a fuel pressure gauge on it and see what it looked like when it stumbles?

#366467  by hrmwrm
 April 9th, 2017, 12:20 pm
they whistle like a teapot 4 some reason not unless they are upside down?
you've got an air leak that bad and haven't related it to rough running?
(and nobody caught that in your first post)
oh, and DON"T USE BRAKE CLEAN to look for leaks. use carb or throttle body cleaner.
some brake cleaners are chlorinated and will produce deadly gas when burnt. think syrian chemical attack.
 #366484  by skinnyg
 April 9th, 2017, 5:52 pm
Unless he finds some 20 year old break clean it won't be chlorinated, it was banned a LONG time ago, but yea carb cleaner or any of that kind of stuff will work

#366488  by ddurr92
 April 9th, 2017, 6:13 pm
update:
i think i resolved my MTV 1289 code... the wires under the valve were probable touching. i guess the coating of the wires got stripped back a few millimeters and i think they were touching... im not too for sure tho yet.. im not near my scan tool so i can erase the (hidden) codes. ill find out tomorrow seeing as i lended my tool to a friend. Sorry i didnt get a chance to upload a video to youtube today. was trying to enjoy some of this gorgeous day.
i was able to bend the timing cover and remove the left side timing cover portion and check the timing (just in case) and the timing is right on the money still..
if the sun si still up tomorrow when i get off work, ill pull the plenum and try to fix the EGR seal..they shouldnt have but 500 mile on them...i had an older friend do the egr seals, but i think he put them in upside down...is there a correct way to install them?
this issue of the stalling has been going on wayyyy before the egr seals.. {could egr cause this} egr delete?
i do not have a fuel pressure tester near me as i left my older job.. but at idle should it be like 5psi or something to extent?
i cannot remember..(been tinkering with a cummins since then)
figured id jump back on the 300m since it aint been driven lately..