Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Rwd 300m V8

• LH Performance Modification Discussions
25th Anniversary LH Platform Celebration

Membership Banner

LH Performance Modification Discussions
 #371051  by Hirschdogg
 December 24th, 2017, 5:37 pm
Anyone ever heard of a rear wheel drive 300m? I think I remember an Intrepid back in the day done up . Seen a Chrysler minivan done up rear wheel drive. Im trying to keep this one going as long as i can, but when i cant, i have a small block Chevy powertrain im considrering..
 #371052  by M-Pressive
 December 24th, 2017, 5:53 pm
Never been done in an M.
Intrepid was done some time back, it is on my list for the future.
I would love to see someone do it right.
 #371154  by Hirschdogg
 December 30th, 2017, 1:31 am
Lets make the first one man.
 #371155  by Hirschdogg
 December 30th, 2017, 1:33 am
I agree with doing it right. Or don't do it. Step away from the torch.
 #371192  by carlrs
 December 31st, 2017, 8:20 pm
Hell, if you manage to do it, let me know!

I don't know of any V8 rwd 300M builds, but there have been a couple of Intrepids. The main problem is that they've been relatively ancient builds. Less bhp and shittier handling just to get a V8 and RWD is not worth it IMHO.

So basically, if you get >255 hp out of it and your car still handles as well as a bone stock M (or better), you've struck gold and I'm sure most of us would love to hear how you've done it.
 #371316  by snstr_auto
 January 6th, 2018, 12:50 pm
IF someone were to do it, the best bet to start would be to retain the original engine. That way it would really only be focusing on the rear area of the car.

Relocating the fuel tank, adding in a rear differential and making everything line up and work. Would probably work well with an independent rear axle out of an Explorer from a yard, adapter plate off the engine and match it to any desired transmission (automatic to start and keeping things simple) then getting a driveshaft made up, be it . And keeping in mind to keep serviceable items, stuff like universal joints, listed down somewhere and a commonly used part, that way maintenance is easy.

After that it can be enjoyed and a few things can be sorted out to adjust the feel of the car, sway bar sizing, changing of shocks / struts to suit your desires for what you want from the car.

Then you can go crazy with changing the engine for something larger or swapping to a manual transmission. Stages. Projects can quickly become overwhelming when they lack focus. And a large project such as a rear wheel drive conversion requires a lot of attention, so it would be best to focus on the main focal point THEN branch off to the next step.

That's just my two cents tho.
 #371321  by FIREM
 January 6th, 2018, 3:41 pm
There is an underlying reason, when I retire, (2 years) Darlene can have all the kitchen upgrades desired, and I get a 3 bay garage ..........
Talked about many times, yet to be done on an M.........
remi, beespecial liked this
 #371840  by Mottman
 February 6th, 2018, 2:36 pm
I honestly think that in order to do this RIGHT its going to require modifying the floor-pan and fire-wall and revise the steering system to locate the engine & trans. further back to achieve correct front-rear balance. This will then require a revised hvac system to clear everything, and then more as issues will become apparent. The 300M is nose heavy as it now is, but that works in it's favor because it's front wheel drive. A nose heavy rear wheel drive car ? We really need to do a lot of research on some very good handling rear wheel drive cars to get the weight bias correct and design up a correct working suspension and figure out where to add any needed structure improvements.

This is one of the reasons I was planning to bring what was left of SILVER DEVIL home for " research " purposes. I even convinced my brother to help me build a rotisserie stand to study the underside - structure and component placement / design on a 300M.
I then came to believe it might make more sense to build a V8 rear wheel drive" space frame " that can be skinned with 300M body panels.

But the question occurred to me. At what point is it still a 300M ?

Yes, if I had the means I would build something like this. And I would love to have it look like a 300M inside and out ( maybe a 2 door coupe version ? )

But, for now I chose to abandon the project, and the shell that was once SILVER DEVIL.

pics