Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Which way to go, What are My Options?? Decision on this Baby knock

• LH Performance Modification Discussions
Membership Banner

LH Performance Modification Discussions
 #376832  by IMSpecialX2
 December 10th, 2018, 12:27 am
Still on the quest to address this what I positively believe to be a top end knock in My swapped 02 Silver Special..... I strongly believe that it's not bottom end knock, because the knock doesn't get louder or "Clackier" like a typical rod knock it's just a rhythmic bop-bop-bop mostly noticable at idle... I have checked My oil for deposits or shavings OR just plain anything abnormal with the oil, even Sludge, But that baby seems clean and Healthy (I don't play with oil changes at all).. I've driven it for couple of thousand miles along side oil changes, but everything seems consistently clean so I know the bottom end is not the culprit here... Also, I have GREAT Oil pressure as someone asked Me before, so no problems there I think I'm confident... Let Me also, add that the car has good strong Power when I step on the gas.
I did a lot of search and found out that even the nex gen LX 3.5's do have the same top end bop-bop-bop knock, which there's happened to be the Rocker Arms. So, I figured it'll be the same with Mine. I took the Valve Covers off trying to see if I can find any abnormalities or anything out of place in the Rocker Arms and/or their lash adjusters, since that's problem in the Newer 3.5's, Cos they tend to break or get loose. But, all of Mine appeared in good condition. And it looks REAL Clean and In there, No Sludge or particles in there.. The Right side bank and Rockers looks BRAND NEW, Only thing is the Left Bank looks "Burnt" but with Not sludge, I know Y'all are familiar with what I'm describing..???? But I think almost all the 3.5 left banks looks like that, it' looks Burnt like that on the Left Bank of the Original Bad Engine that I took out too. So, Has anyone that have took their Valve covers off noticed this burnt oil stain in their drivers side bank??? Could it be Normal??.

Movie forward, So, w/o readily finding anything abnormal in the Rocker Arms with the valve covers off, what am I doing wrong or what I do next? .. Let Me add that the Knock seem to be more pronounced on the Left Bank (at least that where I hear it more)

I thought about just Replacing the Left Bank Rocker Arms as It is often the cure with the Newer 3.5's, But I don't wanna be doing a Blind Repair of just throwing parts at it, Needless to say Dem Thangs are expensive, cost $500-$600+... So, please I need some help here folks, because My next last resort option is to swap in this 44K Mile Base M Engine deal that I bought as a spare.. And I also plan on swapping the Special transmission with My Dead 01 Intrepid Transmission, Cos I don't like the Response, It's sluggish off the jump, the Intrepid Transmission is Quicker, Smother and More punchy/responsive, I read that the gearing is different and that it'll fit any LH car..???

I know it's a lot that I've said already, so let Me park here for Now. Please give Me Your help and thoughts guys.
Thanks.
 #376836  by TrueBlue
 December 10th, 2018, 8:15 am
Take a video and post it but if it's more of a "tic-tic-tic" it's likely the rocker arms.
Sneke_Eyez liked this
 #376838  by IMSpecialX2
 December 10th, 2018, 11:02 am
Oh I didn't even know that I can link videos.. Since the site doesn't allow photos I thought It Won't allow videos too..
But, here are the videos as requested...

Different Videos of the Knock

Looking at it in retrospect: Using this as a comparison video of when I installed the Engine, sounded like the knock was there too... ??
 #376848  by M-Pressive
 December 10th, 2018, 7:43 pm
The site allows photos just fine.

Use the attachment option below the text box when making a post.
IMSpecialX2 liked this
 #376852  by IMSpecialX2
 December 10th, 2018, 11:52 pm
Oh I see, I Didn't even see/notice that, Maybe this is something new You guys just changed it, cos when I Initially signed up it would not allow base members to upload photos and it was kind of a big issue then everybody was pissed about it.... But I'm glad We can now Post Pics again. 👍
 #376853  by IMSpecialX2
 December 11th, 2018, 4:37 am
Look what I'm talking about the Rocker Arms With The valve covers off....
20181129_160334.jpg
Driver's Side
20181129_160433.jpg
Left And Right Difference
20181129_160255.jpg
Drivers Side
20181129_160323.jpg
Passenger's Side: Clean
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 #376854  by FIREM
 December 11th, 2018, 8:16 am
How long have you heard this noise? Miles? Did the noise start after the engine swap? I do not believe you have a rod knock. That would sound like the noise in this link : https://300mclub.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=33821
Torque Converter bolts have been known to touch the back of the block causing a similar noise. Drop the collar and look at each of the 4 bolts for shiny spots would be a clue.

Another topic to look at: https://300mclub.org/forums/viewtopic.p ... d+Bearings
This topic also addresses your normal observations of darker deposits on the left bank rockers vs the right bank. Crankcase Ventilation system draws fresh clean air in the right bank that travels to the left bank to the PCV valve. That draws the vapors to the intake leaving deposits on the left side.

Rocker "Tapping" at start up for a few seconds is relatively "normal" for the 3.5 engine. Constant tapping may be related to this link : https://300mclub.org/forums/viewtopic.p ... Rocker+pin

We have seen a few cases of "unusual noises" being relatively "simple" issues such as loose spark plug or exhaust leaks.
I almost hate to say this but sometimes we "perceive" noises to be bad. FIREM has a similar sound of what I call a "heavy cylinder" since 95k mainly in the same area as your video. Now has 195K on it and still going strong.
I suspect with the main bearing thrust bearing at #2 main and the "harmonics" of the engine may cause this noise.
IMSpecialX2, TrueBlue liked this
 #376863  by IMSpecialX2
 December 11th, 2018, 11:13 am
Do You have any videos of Your "Heavy Cylinder" sound anywhere? To give Me an idea..?

I'm going to check the torque converter bolts, this is the 2nd time I'm being recommend that.

And just as a bonus treat, And Ode to the saying when it Rains It Pours, the Starter in My Black 03' Special Just went out Yesterday w/o any kind of Warning. I got dressed to go out, car won't start, I thought I had left something on the night before that drained My battery (Although I had a solid dash light) I attempted a jump, I still wouldn't start, IT WON'T EVEN TURN OVER!, It just does a "Kick" and that's it... Now, at this point I'm panicking, heart racing dropping down My pants and Sweating (Out in the Cold) thinking My Engine has locked up... I checked all the jump connections and tried and tried again until after trying about about 5mins, It started, Yaayy!! I was Like Wheew!!! What was that!?! At least that confirmed that My Engine didn't get blocked up (I wouldn't see why, My oil looks good, only about 2000 Miles into My last oil change)... So, now, I'm Thinking Everything is fine now, Didn't know that Was Supposed To Be My Clue right there.. So I left the house, stopped a nearby post office, shut car off, started it, it started right up as usual, went home, came back out went to a nearby store, shut car off, came back started it started right up again. So I left, confident that it was just something minor that I couldn't explain (not knowing that nothing happens in vain.... Thinking In retrospect) So after My transaction next place I went, far from My house, I now went to start car, The heart sinking "Kick" came back, Got 2 poeple to jump, still nothing, took battery head off N put it back, tried everything, still got the "Kick". At this Point I was just praying for one more luck to start so I can Zoom back home, but I guess I Ran out of Luck, Or should I say "Ran out of Starts"..... So, I guess I gotta go through the torment of changing the Starter, Cos I know that SOB ain't easy, from it's Location, even though I've done it plenty times before.

But moving on, I don't believe I have a any type of bearing knock, I've rev'd the Engine to 4/5K RPM on Several Occasions, Hoping for it to blow so I can have a reason to junk it, But Nope. But, Yes the Problem started right after the Engine swap as soon as the Engine warmed up the knock sound emerged, it's been the same way till today, not worse, not better,,,, just there... The car has about 107K miles and the Engine should be about 92K miles now, it was 88K Miles when I bought it.. It's a 01' M Engine, I Originally installed the Engine in My Intrepid after the 2.7 Engine Rocked Knocked away... Then later on, the Intrepid got in a left front wreck... Meanwhile I've always wanted A M Special 🙃, I finally got an opportunity to own one, I found and bought a Engine Dead 02 Special, I was able to convert the 01' Engine to 02' Specs and Installed it..
 #376866  by FIREM
 December 11th, 2018, 1:42 pm
Classic Starter Contact Issue ; There are posts on how to fix and R&R tips on the site.
No video of mine at this time, will see when I get a chance to make one. So you have had the noise for a while with no change?
 #376868  by IMSpecialX2
 December 11th, 2018, 2:59 pm
Where is the Starter Contact Located? is it something You have to remove the starter to do? If so, I'd think its better just to replace the thing? Cos I'm one click away from ordering a new Starter.
Yea as I said, Knock been there Since swap, No change.
 #376874  by In-trepid
 December 11th, 2018, 9:07 pm
You have to remove the starter. There is a kit for about $12 to fix it. You are right in that it is a pain to remove and replace. Installing the kit is easy!
 #376878  by IMSpecialX2
 December 11th, 2018, 10:16 pm
In-trepid wrote: December 11th, 2018, 9:07 pm You have to remove the starter. There is a kit for about $12 to fix it. You are right in that it is a pain to remove and replace. Installing the kit is easy!
Oh I didn't know there's a "fix" to the starter, I saw A $12 "Rebuild kits", But since I don't know how to do rebuild, I didn't buy, and that'll damn sure be Alot less than $82 for a new starter.... But, Just saying Installing the kit is easy doesn't tell Me how it's done... 🤔😮🤔
 #376879  by M-Pressive
 December 12th, 2018, 7:42 am
IMSpecialX2 wrote: December 11th, 2018, 10:16 pm
In-trepid wrote: December 11th, 2018, 9:07 pm You have to remove the starter. There is a kit for about $12 to fix it. You are right in that it is a pain to remove and replace. Installing the kit is easy!
Oh I didn't know there's a "fix" to the starter, I saw A $12 "Rebuild kits", But since I don't know how to do rebuild, I didn't buy, and that'll damn sure be Alot less than $82 for a new starter.... But, Just saying Installing the kit is easy doesn't tell Me how it's done... 🤔😮🤔
Just looked and there are instructions on replacing the pieces in the kit that is a part of our knowledgebase. Which is available to paid members of the club.
Might be time to join......
 #376880  by Sneke_Eyez
 December 12th, 2018, 8:32 am
IMSpecialX2 wrote: December 10th, 2018, 11:52 pm Oh I see, I Didn't even see/notice that, Maybe this is something new You guys just changed it, cos when I Initially signed up it would not allow base members to upload photos and it was kind of a big issue then everybody was pissed about it.... But I'm glad We can now Post Pics again. 👍
You have always been able to upload photos to this site.
No one has made any changes to the site since you've joined.

Fotki, our free photo hosting option, has always been a part of the benefits offered to paid Club Members, just like the Knowledgebase.
 #376886  by IMSpecialX2
 December 12th, 2018, 3:25 pm
Ahh, Ok, good to know, it think the Problem was posting pics from browser on A Mobile device... And I guess You're right time to join... But, I dropped the Collar and I've checked the Flywheel/Torque Converter bolts, they don't seem/look shiny which would suggest hitting the back of the block. But, I did notice oil/wetness around/back there and I don't think it's a usual occurrence, Idk if this is normal.. ? But If I'm to guess, it's not... Rear Main Seal Going/Gone Already??... Honestly, it's starting to look like I'm chasing a ghost with this knock issue..
Screenshot_20181212-142518.png
Screenshot_20181212-141801.png
Screenshot_20181212-141914.png
Screenshot_20181212-141953.png
Test Photos
Screenshot_20181212-141834.png
Screenshot_20181212-142139.png
Screenshot_20181212-142254.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.