Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • end to end exhaust replacement with mods

• Talk about the most common LH mod, and why Chrysler didn't do it.
2020 Calendar Banner

Membership Banner

Talk about the most common LH mod, and why Chrysler didn't do it.

Moderator: Moderators

#316045  by Countachqv
 August 25th, 2013, 9:35 am
Ok. I just spent more time I could afford going thru the myriad of very good posts here to help me choose a complete exhaust setup.

After reading on many setup, I built a draft of what I want that still needs to be completed. However, I found some part numbers, price etc, to be obsolete and I could not really find a post addressing a system from end to end and that prompted me to start this new thread.

My requirements are:
1) A system more efficient than stock
2) Less expensive that stock
3) Better sound but not too loud
4) System will last
5) Better looking from the rear

Here is what I got so far. I stayed with the tried and conventional.
I would use pretty much all clamps to tie all parts of the new system. I figure 8 clamps. I may have welding done on some parts if more pipe length is needed to adjust (thinking of the mandrel/tips).

Laborwise, the hard part will be the removal of the old CAT, driver side (I keep the passenger side). Breaking the old exhaust is not going to be a concern once I get the new one ready on the floor.
I welcome comments, up to date info, and fine tuning of the list.

========================
1 Catalytic & flex - driver side: Not sure what will go here it. MagnaFlow 23258?? ($250) but some claimed it is not as exact fit as advertised

1 Resonator/Collector: MagnaFlow 12258 - Stainless steel ($100)

1 Intermediate pipe: buy stock 2 1/2 ?

1 Muffler: DynoMax 177 - Stainless steel? (not found ?)

2 Mandrel bent elbows: JC Whitney Part Number 81AS2968Y (??no longer found)

2 TIPS: Magnaflow dual Rolled-Round-Angle Cut 10"length - DOUBLE-WALL TIPS 35168 - Polish stainless ($70x2)

Cutout for dual: http://public.fotki.com/rogor2k/300m_dual_exhaust/

Note: Pricing are approximate and for some shops, which I make sure I will avoid, internet price are based on the state you are in (we are not all equals)
 #316046  by M-Pressive
 August 25th, 2013, 9:38 am
I do have a set of stock special tips for sale if you are interested in the factory look like Tyler has on his M.
 #326039  by Countachqv
 February 21st, 2014, 5:08 pm
reviving this.

So far , I have not gotten time to move on this but the noise aint getting better.

doing more search Something striked me: you guys are replacing what is said to be the Resonator behind the CATS with what is advertised as a muffler: MagnaFlow 12258 - Stainless steel ($100).In addition it seems it is installed in reversed (dual to single whereas it is sold as single to dual). I am quite confused. I know nothing about resonator vs muffler vs inflow and outflow. Is this OK? does not a muffler restricts?

As a substitute does any of you know of universal Y pipe that could replace that thing or would it had to be made? I am not sure why I would need a resonator that rots at over $125 there.All I know is a resonator is supposed to be a "sound modificator".
 #326051  by Mottman
 February 21st, 2014, 7:13 pm
Magnaflow says on theyr website that this muffler can be reversed. Also it is made
in the USA and comes with a lifetime warranty. I got one on The EVIL Sickness now.
Rest of the exhaust is 100% stock. It is just a tiny bit throatier than stock. Eventually
I wanna go the HUJO setup as budget allows. It is almost a bolt-up and go swap. Only
thing I noticed is the band clamps didnt hold very tight
( Use old style horseshoe clamps or have it welded ) Otherwise, mark your tailpipe in
relation to the floor-pan and measure twice before removing the OEM resonator
( I think the Magnaflow's main body is about 1 3/4 " longer ) I had to cut and grind off
the steel loop support thats welded on the OEM resonator to the tailpipe to make it fit
at correct measurement / position.

Looking inside of the two I really cant see much difference internally, the Magnaflow
looks a little bit more open, less restricted. Resonator, muffler,collector I dont know
the difference. Car really dosent feel any different. Some sites call the OEM part a
collector. Either way, I think you will be pleased with it.

Like a terrible addictive drug

Yhe EVIL Sickness
 #326070  by Countachqv
 February 22nd, 2014, 9:56 am
thks for the explaination.
Went again to a shop today for replacing just the flex on the driver side:$700 estimate. Better than the $1000 from the chain before. that is the price given assuming they save the CAT weld a flex . They quoted 4-5hours to remove the cat and weld (taking the axle off to do that too). To do a long lasting job cat has to come out and that I do beleive.
Do you have toget the axle off to remove the CAT? no matter how islice this I just cant justify that kind of price. Or I am totally ignorant of what it really takes?
 #326096  by Mottman
 February 22nd, 2014, 5:43 pm
I would shop around for a better price. 4 - to - 5 Hours to repair a flexpipe seems
awful high to me. Drivers side cat can be worked out without disturbing the drivshaft
( at least on mine ) It is tight but do-able. Passangers side is worse. But can be done
by removing the rear ( trans ) mount and tilting the engine back. I think you should
try getting the drivers side cat with flexpipe and downpipe to resonator from a
u-pull yard. Then you can see how its not that difficult. In the very least, have someone
here look up the flat rate estimate for this. I would be supprised if it were over 2 hours.
But I could be wrong.
 #326124  by Countachqv
 February 23rd, 2014, 7:56 am
I went yet to another shop at the end of the day. This time I was told may be $200 to take off the cat and get flex on it but they have to look at it (they were closing). Sounds better. If they hit me over $250, I'll do the darn thing myself out of furstration. I am just not looking forward exhaust repairs. not my thing.
Mottman wrote:I would shop around for a better price. 4 - to - 5 Hours to repair a flexpipe seems
awful high to me. Drivers side cat can be worked out without disturbing the drivshaft
( at least on mine ) It is tight but do-able. Passangers side is worse. But can be done
by removing the rear ( trans ) mount and tilting the engine back. I think you should
try getting the drivers side cat with flexpipe and downpipe to resonator from a
u-pull yard. Then you can see how its not that difficult. In the very least, have someone
here look up the flat rate estimate for this. I would be supprised if it were over 2 hours.
But I could be wrong.
 #326169  by Mottman
 February 23rd, 2014, 7:35 pm
Me neither but getting slowly gassed to death aint much fun. When I replaced the
trans. I saw the resonator / collector was rotted out. And realized why I was getting
terrible headaches by the time I got home from work each day.
Going to work = no traffic = no stops = no headaches / Going home
from work = lots of traffic = lots of stop n go driving = roaring headaches.

Needless to say, since I put the Magnaflow on = no more headaches.

Glad you shopped around and found a more resonable price.
I would still price up a cat and pipe from a local salvage yard.
This is not hard to replace. As long as you can get under the car safely.