Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • The little aftermarket we have is starting to disappear!

• Discuss Aftermarket and Custom Parts
25th Anniversary LH Platform Celebration

Membership Banner

Discuss Aftermarket and Custom Parts

Moderator: Moderators

#378751  by Sonicrob
 April 22nd, 2019, 3:56 pm
Have you guys tried searching for clear turn signals and chrome spider headlights for our cars? (Not that I would get spider headlights, but I digress ). It seems just a few months ago whenever I searched for these items on ebay, it yielded tons of results. Nowadays, it seems to be dwindling down. I can't find a set of clear or smoked turn signals for the life of me. This is depressing. Maybe we'll need to look into 3D printing in the near future. Does this concern you guys?
 #378752  by LUNAT1C
 April 22nd, 2019, 4:14 pm
It's inevitable. ROI on tooling for upgrade parts on these cars is bound to be small and not worth the effort needed, versus the same type of part on a much more popular vehicle.

Clear turn signals have been gone from eBay for a long time, only the smoked ones remained and were few and far between. Spyder lights --> could not care less.

For me, custom has always been the way to go anyhow. What I find more distressing is the number of Mopar replacement parts that has been dwindling year after year and forcing us to turn to the aftermarket for replacement wear items. It's almost always been inferior to OEM.
Sonicrob, StealthM liked this
 #378754  by In-trepid
 April 22nd, 2019, 5:00 pm
The other place that is slowing down is the junkyards. While my supply has been plentiful compared to some places, I can tell that there just aren't as many options available. My closest yard currently has no M's. Has a number of Intrepids and a boatload of vans. My go to yard (about 25 miles away) has 4 m's today, also maybe 10 Intrepids, 1 LHS, 3 Concords, and 4 first gen LH. I probably have 10 yards within and hour and a half, but I hate to make the trek for only 1 m in the yard.
 #378756  by Sonicrob
 April 22nd, 2019, 5:54 pm
In-trepid wrote: April 22nd, 2019, 5:00 pm The other place that is slowing down is the junkyards. While my supply has been plentiful compared to some places, I can tell that there just aren't as many options available. My closest yard currently has no M's. Has a number of Intrepids and a boatload of vans. My go to yard (about 25 miles away) has 4 m's today, also maybe 10 Intrepids, 1 LHS, 3 Concords, and 4 first gen LH. I probably have 10 yards within and hour and a half, but I hate to make the trek for only 1 m in the yard.
I’m noticing the trend as well. Makes me want to start hoarding parts...
 #378757  by First Lady
 April 22nd, 2019, 6:14 pm
Key concept - HOARDING PARTS!

Since my accident I told Keith (NEVER did he think I'd ever say this!!) that we need to stock pile parts!!! We've started to do so and once we un-pack from our almost move, we will organize our hoard into bins (what fits that is) and tuck them away save. As we see Ms in the yards we visit we will be sure to take parts that we might want/need for the future. Even that is getting hard to do...our yards aren't getting many at all anymore!
 #378758  by FIREM
 April 22nd, 2019, 7:18 pm
As we approach 20 YEARS OLD nobody (but us ) cares anymore, as little as they did in the past.
Yards are drying up as we have already picked up "the good stuff". Got my eye on an M in the police impound that has been there a while, guess I should inquire.....
 #378760  by adu1982
 April 22nd, 2019, 7:26 pm
FIREM wrote:As we approach 20 YEARS OLD nobody (but us ) cares anymore, as little as they did in the past.
Yards are drying up as we have already picked up "the good stuff". Got my eye on an M in the police impound that has been there a while, guess I should inquire.....
I second that. A dealer transporter guy I know told me about a low miles M that a dealer bought for a few hundred. So I've been checking the dealer auction site for Ms. Been thinking about grabbing a low miles with good pics if I see one.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

#378781  by 00R/T
 April 23rd, 2019, 1:50 pm
At this point we can totally forget about aftermarket “upgrade” parts. We’re now at the point where aftermarket replacement parts are starting to disappear.
 #378784  by Sneke_Eyez
 April 23rd, 2019, 2:14 pm
Yeah, with the oldest 300M at 20 years old and the oldest 2G LH at 21 with none ever being a collector's item (except for to us), they're tough to justify giving aftermarket support.

Lots of custom work now needed to make these cars different. It is a shame, but it is what it is... like others, I'm just concerned about the lack of OEM parts eventually catching up to us.
 #378785  by LUNAT1C
 April 23rd, 2019, 2:36 pm
It makes me want to start yarding again and grabbing the little bits and bobs that I previously never cared about, as a "just in case mine breaks, as unlikely as that is", but before I do that I need to figure out how to sort and store the parts I already have. Especially worrying is I will likely be selling some parts soon (anyone want a LT Special backseat? Some console assemblies? :D) to lighten the load for the move we're planning on later this year or next year. We used a large uhaul truck and a 5x8 trailer to move last year from house to the next in the same town... took 6 trailers and 2 trucks, though admittedly we didn't bother with tieing things down or maximizing space. We'll need to now... but I digress.