• Replacement Rear Door Speakers

• Discuss Custom or Factory Audio Systems
Ocean City 2019 Banner

Membership Banner

Discuss Custom or Factory Audio Systems

Moderator: Moderators

#377458  by mrnrod
 January 20th, 2019, 4:14 am
Hello I am look for good aftermarket replacements for the rear door mid/full range speaker and was wondering if these would work.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-InCyqsCC7 ... PRX27.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 #377527  by LUNAT1C
 January 31st, 2019, 10:42 am
I think they might physically fit, but you need to check the Ohm rating. The factory system is 2-Ohm, while most speakers are 4-Ohm.
 #378639  by Alex Funkhouser
 April 15th, 2019, 5:57 pm

I actually just replaced my rear door speaker with a Bose speaker that I pulled out of an old Bose SoundDock that happened to be the right size. Directly comparing it to the infinity speaker I can say it sounds better, but hooked up to the infinity amp a lot of the performance is throttled back.

pictured is the infinity speaker on the left compared to the new Bose. The Bose was a really tight fit, but as you can see the magnet drivers are much more capable.ImageImage

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

#378642  by In-trepid
 April 15th, 2019, 8:56 pm
I hate to tell you, but you can't check impedance with a multimeter. It will only measure resistance. Impedance is the cumulative resistance, capacitance, and inductance in the speaker. This is probably the reason that it seems to be throttled back.
 #378643  by Alex Funkhouser
 April 15th, 2019, 9:05 pm
Is that right? Good to know! I'll have to edit my op!
I've read conflicting things about that back and forth, that would make sense. Thanks for the input!

I think the infinity amp crossover really cuts out a lot of information from those locations to begin with though, really wish they were more full range. I don't feel like re-doing the whole audio system for a bit

#378644  by In-trepid
 April 15th, 2019, 9:19 pm
The hot setup right now seems to be the JBL amp. There is a lot chatter about it in the Audio area. We get them from the Hyundai Azera. I have been using them in my 300m's for a couple of years now. They are a little hard to find, but well worth it. I agree that the stock Infinity amps leave a little to be desired as far as how clean the signal is to each speaker. The 688AC is the best of the stock amps, but the JBL blows it away. Give it a try. You will have to build an adapter cable to use it though. I've built a few. It isn't hard, just a bit tedious and time consuming.
 #378645  by Alex Funkhouser
 April 15th, 2019, 9:32 pm
I've heard a few members refer to "the JBL amp" but never knew what exactly it referred to. Good to know. Looks like the JBL 96370-3L400 is selling on eBay for about 100 bucks

Is there a thread somewhere that breaks down how to create an adapter cable? And does it send signal to all locations, or does it drop the tweeters?

#378646  by In-trepid
 April 15th, 2019, 9:51 pm
This is a good place to start.
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=35274
Most people replace the sail tweeters with back door speakers as they are a more full range speaker.
As far a adapter cables go, I've used a pigtail from the JBL amp coupled to a receptacle cut from a stock Infinity amp.