Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Options for Bluetooth Upgrade on Factory Radio?

• Discuss Custom or Factory Audio Systems
Membership Banner

Discuss Custom or Factory Audio Systems

Moderator: Moderators

#387561  by sdugasjr
 March 22nd, 2021, 12:03 pm
Hello all, I was wondering what my options were for a Bluetooth or an aux input would be for my '00 300. I've got the Infinity II system with the 4 disc in-dash cd changer (if that makes any difference for option variety). Currently, the changer was replaced with a pocket, so I've been using a cassette adapter, but it does not sound very good and I would like something that is "tucked away". I would look at my options for a radio upgrade but I am not really in the market to do so right now.

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!
 #387566  by dcsally97
 March 23rd, 2021, 1:00 pm
If you had an '02-'04 I would suggest the GROM BT-3. I have one in my car and it works great. The older LH's don't have the correct wiring for that unit though.
 #387567  by In-trepid
 March 23rd, 2021, 2:06 pm
Doug,
Are you still running that on the RBQ radio with no issues? I remember that a couple of years ago we traded the RBQ for your RB1 that had issues wit the GROM unit. I gave Sidney a heads up on this issue with the RB1.
 #387568  by dcsally97
 March 23rd, 2021, 2:55 pm
Yes, the RBQ and the GROM unit work together. The RB1 will not work with the GROM.
 #387598  by TrepKing95
 March 29th, 2021, 5:11 pm
https://www.discountcarstereo.com/a2d-c ... ory_id=439

I use this in my 99M with an RB1 with all its goodies. Works pretty well, aside from a minor inconvenience if you press the uconnect button while playing music!
 #387702  by bbb123
 April 13th, 2021, 7:47 am
Since the radio pci system is stand alone (except for the speed signal for the RB1) you can add a 6 dvd changer with front aux input and with the multiplex box you can have both the sirius box and the dvd changer
as long as the 6 dvd is version ac or newer it will also play mp3 CDs
You can also add the factory hands free uconnect pci module and mirror for phone bluetooth

The two best PCI oval face radios are the RB1 nav or the REV that plays DVD and MP3 CD and has front audio and video input

Or with a working sirius module you can tap into its audio input to head unit for a quality audio in

Alternatively by adding a TIPM and small ign module with 4 wires in trunk you can make one of the newer can bus radios operative and the RER my gig has the hands free module built in
opens up use of RES REQ and mygig radios with just junkyard parts
sdugasjr liked this
 #387709  by In-trepid
 April 13th, 2021, 2:03 pm
bbb123 wrote: April 13th, 2021, 7:47 am
Alternatively by adding a TIPM and small ign module with 4 wires in trunk you can make one of the newer can bus radios operative and the RER my gig has the hands free module built in
I would like to know a little more about this!
 #387711  by bbb123
 April 13th, 2021, 5:42 pm
What do you want to know
I have a low bus Chrysler my gig in my Mazda Miata and a high bus on my TV and game station

What specific radio low or high bus do you want to use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #387712  by 00R/T
 April 13th, 2021, 5:51 pm
In-trepid wrote:
bbb123 wrote: April 13th, 2021, 7:47 am
I would like to know a little more about this!
This brings up something interesting. There should be no need for a TIPM. I don’t see why I couldn’t come up with a small module that would send the required commands and interface with the PCI bus on the car. If you remember, the module I designed for my project was able to tell the CAN radio the ignition state, when the car was in reverse, when the headlights were on, steering wheel controls, etc. and was able to play music. That part of it is done. The more complicated part was getting the large screen in the dash and dealing with the fact that it has no hard keys and would have to replace the ATC head.

If we wanted to only skip ahead a few generations to the 08-12 radios instead in current day like I was doing, there shouldn’t be a need for a second or third module and it would just be a software change on the hardware I already developed.
 #387713  by bbb123
 April 13th, 2021, 5:59 pm
Well a Tipm is the can bus hub so without it there is nothing to send and receive the can bus data

Some guys try to hawk very expensive raspberry computer bench top devices but using cheep junk yard parts is quick and simple to at least make radio, radio illumination,stock amp, and one or two oem video screens work

More is needed for external uconnect module but a either early REN or newer Harmon Nav my gig has that already built in

#387716  by 00R/T
 April 13th, 2021, 7:27 pm
bbb123 wrote:Well a Tipm is the can bus hub so without it there is nothing to send and receive the can bus data

Some guys try to hawk very expensive raspberry computer bench top devices but using cheep junk yard parts is quick and simple to at least make radio, radio illumination,stock amp, and one or two oem video screens work

More is needed for external uconnect module but a either early REN or newer Harmon Nav my gig has that already built in

I’m very familiar with how all that stuff works. I developed a custom module that translates the PCI messages from the car to CAN messages to allow the use of a current Gen 8.4 radio and integrate with a backup cam, steering wheel controls, etc. I could use the same thing with the older CAN radios. I would just need to reverse engineer the relevant packets on the CAN bus and modify the software to send those instead of the ones the 8.4 uses.
 #387717  by bbb123
 April 13th, 2021, 7:39 pm
The pci is a stand alone bus with no central hub

Hence on a bench top you can connect a pci amp like a Pacifica to a pci Pacifica radio and a pci Pacifica uconnect and a pci multiplex box with a pci dvd changer and pci sat module and all work happily together
But sat radio song artist data comes on separate sat bus

The early can bus radios like RAK and RAQ needed the cluster as their hub and with that cluster to send on messages and connect sat module and DVD player and uconnect they cad cofunction and use the can bus only to turn each on and send satellite song artist data

The later can bus radios like RES REQ mygig including RER REN RBZ RHB and RHR can all work as long a TIPM as CAN bus hub turns them on and communicates with AMP and video screens

A can bus has lots of needed data not found on pci bus

But you don’t need to decode the signals or buy a custom module as the TIPM is alle to do it with just a handful of wires connected

Also in all the above low and high bus can radios except the gps nav mygig the radio time is kept in the ignition skim node not the radio so you do need that module

#387718  by bbb123
 April 13th, 2021, 7:55 pm
For low speed can bus all you need is a avenger/Sebring/200 TIPM with 4 wires power (here key switched power is ideal) ground and can plus and minus

A ignition/skim module with 5 wires battery,ground plus can plus and minus
And last one hooked to grounded resistor to represent accessory key switch position resistance

Then just also run can plus and minus to radio pigtail

High bus has 2 more TIPMwires as skim/ignition module is on different can bus to TIPM then radio is

#387720  by 00R/T
 April 14th, 2021, 1:12 am
bbb123 wrote:The pci is a stand alone bus with no central hub

Hence on a bench top you can connect a pci amp like a Pacifica to a pci Pacifica radio and a pci Pacifica uconnect and a pci multiplex box with a pci dvd changer and pci sat module and all work happily together
But sat radio song artist data comes on separate sat bus

The early can bus radios like RAK and RAQ needed the cluster as their hub and with that cluster to send on messages and connect sat module and DVD player and uconnect they cad cofunction and use the can bus only to turn each on and send satellite song artist data

The later can bus radios like RES REQ mygig including RER REN RBZ RHB and RHR can all work as long a TIPM as CAN bus hub turns them on and communicates with AMP and video screens

A can bus has lots of needed data not found on pci bus

But you don’t need to decode the signals or buy a custom module as the TIPM is alle to do it with just a handful of wires connected

Also in all the above low and high bus can radios except the gps nav mygig the radio time is kept in the ignition skim node not the radio so you do need that module

I know all of this. You’re missing my point. Using a TIPM, aside from requiring a relatively large module to be wired in, doesn’t integrate the radio with the car in any way. All it allows it to do is power on. My module, aside from being tiny and able to just be integrated into a harness behind the radio, is actually a bridge between the PCI bus in the car and the radio. It lets the two actually communicate. When you turn on the headlights, the radio dims. When you shift into reverse, it switches to the backup cam input automatically. The steering wheel radio controls work.
 #387721  by bbb123
 April 14th, 2021, 1:29 am
As I have understand it
Yours lacks time and limits the use to a minimum number of programmed features and specific vehicles while mine only requires junkyard parts at minimal cost and does include time and integration of can bus amps and can bus dual video screens and can work with any vehicle or without a vehicle

Your solution as I can understand it is not even completed for the commonly available and thus inexpensive high and low can bus radios of 2007-2014

I am not trying to sell anything just share a simple solution for those who may be interested

#387722  by bbb123
 April 14th, 2021, 7:10 am
Again I have a limited understanding of your module but what I think there might be more interest in is a small module that could send a park or a reverse signal to a high or low bus mygig controlled by user wired switches as that would allow user controlled viewing of multiple user selected cameras for traffic on sides and jeep trails and backup

and park can enable screen of mygig for dvd playback
If simple small and inexpensive such a module might have a small market in many vehicles not just pci bus vehicles

And as it is only 2 can bus messages it might be fairly simple certainly much simpler then all the messages needed to control a external uconnect module or a can bus amp