• That 1000 Watt amplifier upgrade

• Discuss Custom or Factory Audio Systems
Membership Banner

Discuss Custom or Factory Audio Systems

Moderator: Moderators

#387755  by bbb123
 April 16th, 2021, 2:49 pm
I picked up the high end Azera amp today at you pull it for $8

Appreciate all the info and looking forward to trying it however a couple things make me wonder
Claim is 12 channels but only 11 pairs of output wires
Claim 55 watts x 12 for 660 watts
However Azera wiring diagram from post one shows powered by three wires all from same 30 amp fuse

12 volts 30 amps is at most ( no loss to inefficiency) 360 watts

All that matters is how it sounds but in figuring how many amps it needs is it 55amps to cover 660 watts or just 30 amps total input needed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #387756  by In-trepid
 April 16th, 2021, 6:07 pm
Byron, you must be assuming that this is a class A amplifier. Given it is automobile audio, I would assume that it probably is not, especially on the subwoofer channel. Probably a class C or Class D amp.
 #387757  by bbb123
 April 16th, 2021, 8:30 pm
A D has less wasted power but even with no wasted power (no heat generated) ohms law still applies and watts of power cannot ever be more than amps x volts

No such thing as a free lunch in the world of physics

So even if we assume a non existent 100% efficient amplifier (maybe a magical class z) that needs no cooling fins as it generates no heat and all power in goes only to sound
And we decide with alternator running voltage jumps from 12 volts to 15
If it is running thru a 30 amp fuse it’s max total power output is 15x30 which is only 450 watts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #387825  by LUNAT1C
 May 3rd, 2021, 12:27 pm
It wouldn't shock me if that 660W has some advertising fudging going on. Real world would be far less, just as it is with all audio systems. For example, my system is 1000W RMS, with a peak much higher (around 2000W IIRC) that it will never achieve because peak values are meaningless. I wouldn't be surprised if that is the difference you're inquiring about. The factory Chrysler 360W system has an RMS far less than that I believe.

Not saying that's exactly what it is, just an outside thought.