Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Amplifier Turn On wire

• Discuss Custom or Factory Audio Systems
Membership Banner

Discuss Custom or Factory Audio Systems

Moderator: Moderators

#389053  by HelLRaiseR

Hi all,

I've installed an aftermarket radio. The only probñlem is that... not sound. I looked for the solution of the problem and I found it: I need to connect the Turn On Amplifier wire from the radio to the turn on amplifier wire in the car.

There are a lot of post, and pages with this solution, but I can't found images or videos.

The problem is that I don't know whichis and where is the Turn on amplifier wire in the car: location, color, and I can't found info.

Anybody can help me?

Thanks in advance.
 #389054  by bbb123

Two options
Most of the early can bus radios used a pin that sent plus 12 to am/fm antenna amplifier when radio was on
You could use that pin
Other option is place fuse in slot in Tipm that makes a power port turn on and off with key and use that 12 volt source

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #389055  by bbb123

Most aftermarket radios have a blue with white stripe in harness that has plus 12 when radio is on and is used for amp on

#389056  by HelLRaiseR

Yes, I know. My radio has the blue/white wire . My problem is that I don't know where I haveto connect it

Maybe in one wire of the harness where I connect the adaptor Chrysler / ISO. I guess that's how it is, becouse the stock radio is connected to this connector.

But, In wich wire?

Thank you all
 #389057  by bbb123

You don’t understand stock amp is turned on via can bus digital signal not a turn on wire

Stock amp receives 2 channel of paired wires from stock head unit plus battery power wires and ground wires and it has a pair of output wires for each oem speaker

Stock amp has a pair of wires for the can IHS bus that get digital signals from stock head unit via Tipm to amp with digital data to amp on vs off and volume and balance and fade

There is no stock wire to use you have to run a new wire from aftermarket head unit blue white to the aftermarket turn on wire on amp don’t keep looking for a wire that is not there

#389058  by bbb123

Never mind you car is pre can bus so it used pci bus

You can look up stock amp pin out here to find correct amp on wire here

http://connectors.dcctools.com/home.htm

You stock amp has 2 connectors 22 pin an 12 pin

The 12 pin is all speaker outs

On the 22 pin pin 3 dark green with red stripe is the radio 12 volt output that should be used for amp turn on

Other end is pin 13 still dark green with red stripe at stock radio 22 pin connector

#389059  by HelLRaiseR

Ah! OK. I understand, I thought that the stock radio used a wire to switch on the amplifier but does it by CAN BUS.

Then, I need to put a cable from the head unit to the amplifier, now, my question is: can I use the stock amplifier or I need to change it?

Thank you so much
 #389060  by HelLRaiseR

Oh I just post the message when bbb123 posted the other.

Then, I only need to connect the blue/white wire from aftermarket radio witn the dark green/red wire of the pin #3 of the 22 pins connector. Isn't it?
 #389062  by bbb123

Correct dark green red sorry about confusion 300 vs 300m

Pin 13 at radio end gets blue/white from new head unit

#389064  by LUNAT1C

LH platform cars do not have CANBUS or TIPM, they use the older PCIBUS standard.

Hopefully you're using the correct Metra stereo adapter harness. Connect the blue/white amp turn-on lead from your radio to, if I remember right, the solid blue wire on the metra harness. The Metra harness turns it into a plug and play installation. It's been a decade since I installed it for my Kenwood head units, but I recall needing to switch the blue/white wire from the radio harness to the blue wire on the Metra harness to get the amp to turn on.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120706502 ... rness.html
 #389066  by HelLRaiseR

The problem is that I can't use this connector

I'm not sure why, but when I looking for an ISO adaptor, the connector for the '2003 300M is the same of your link, but my car has a different connector.

The connector of my car is divided in two male partsand the adaptor has a female connector where fit the two parts, not one like the connector of the link,. I'm going to put a picture tomorrow (now it's too late in Spain)

I've used the adaptor of Parrot Hands Free, because I can't found the correct harness for my car.

In fact, I bought this kind of connector, but when I gone to install the radio doesn't fit and I had to use the connector of the old hands free
 #389067  by bbb123

Thru about 2001 300M Chrysler radios used two 7 pin connectors plus a separate ground

One connector is gray other is black

On the black connector pin 1 should be dark green with red stripe and is amp turn on wire

The other six pins on that black connector are all speaker wires

The gray 7 way had 2 speaker wires a battery wire an accessory wire and a illumination wire
Pin one is not used on the gray connector

Sue same like for 2001 300M to see pin outs for those radio connectors

HelLRaiseR liked this
 #389073  by HelLRaiseR

This is very extrange. You has described extacly my connector. I'm looking for the connector of 2001 300M an I've found the correct harness.

https://www.amazon.com/Chrysler-1999-20 ... B01AC7CT2W

The stranger thing is tha my car is sold in Jan, 2003, I've review the documentation and the car was imported in Jun, 2002 and was in the customs until Dec, 2002

Maybe was a 2001 model tha was send en 2002 and sold in 2003?

Curious, I have a time machine. I gues that I have a 2001 model, I'll find out the differences to be sure and I'll looking for the correct harness (at the moment it's out of stock in the sites that i've found it) or I will adapt the harness of the hands free that I'm using
 #389074  by bbb123

Could just put vin in online and try to get free build sheet or can decode year of vehicle based on vin

Decode the 10th character. This indicates the model year. The letter A is used for a 1980, B for a 1981, C for a 1982, D for a 1983, E for a 1984, F for a 1985, G for a 1986, H for a 1987, J for a 1988, K for a 1989, L for a 1990, M for a 1991, N for a 1992, P for a 1993, R for a 1994, S for a 1995, T for a 1996, V for a 1997, W for a 1998, X for a 1999, and Y for a 2000. The number 1 is for a 2001, 2, for 2002, 3 for 2003, 4 for 2004, 5 for 2005, 6 for 2006, 7 for 2007, 8 for 2008, and 9 for 2009.

HelLRaiseR liked this
 #389075  by LUNAT1C

2001 was the final year of production for the separate connectors. Late summer is normally when the model year changeover occurs (so, right this moment, automakers are switching over from 2021 models to 2022 for carryover models). I believe the 300M changeover from 2001 to 2002 occurred either late August 2001, or early September 2001. Bob Day's 2002 was manufactured 9/11/01 and has the 02 style radio connection.

If your car was produced anytime after August 2001 (sticker in the door jamb should show manufacture date as month and year, this is when the car received its final components and rolled through fluids and quality inspection). I'm not sure Chrysler would have kept the car from August 2001 until June 2002 before loading it to a ship bound for Europe. Euro editions do have a lot of differences from NA editions that most people would never notice, much of which struck me as parts-binning as I've seen a lot Euro cars with seats that only Specials received, and some had cloth seats while NA cars never had that as an option. They may have received the run-out stock of 2001 systems after NA cars switched to the 02-04 systems.
HelLRaiseR liked this
 #389079  by HelLRaiseR

bbb123 wrote: September 15th, 2021, 2:34 pm Decode the 10th character.
It's a "1" that corresponding to 2001 year
 #389080  by HelLRaiseR

LUNAT1C wrote: September 15th, 2021, 3:35 pm If your car was produced anytime after August 2001 (sticker in the door jamb should show manufacture date as month and year, this is when the car received its final components and rolled through fluids and quality inspection).
In the sticker say; DATE OF MFR (BUILT): 9 - 00 MDH: 092612 and the VIN Number
Below there are a table with a lot of numbers 10, 11, 12,... until 79 with a six digits numbers started by zero and the european sym E11 or E4 into a circle that indicate where the homologation has been made, 4 is for Holland and 11 it's for United Kindom. I guess that this is the list of parts that has a european homologation: glasses, ligths, tail lights, fog lights, tyres, etc.
According this, the built dat would be 9 - 00, Sep, 2000. Maybe the car is one of the firsts 2001 units made in 2000? . If this is true, this is more extrange too. Definitively I have a time machine.
LUNAT1C wrote: September 15th, 2021, 3:35 pm I'm not sure Chrysler would have kept the car from August 2001 until June 2002 before loading it to a ship bound for Europe. Euro editions do have a lot of differences from NA editions that most people would never notice, much of which struck me as parts-binning as I've seen a lot Euro cars with seats that only Specials received, and some had cloth seats while NA cars never had that as an option. They may have received the run-out stock of 2001 systems after NA cars switched to the 02-04 systems.
The documentation it's clear, in the technical document of the car there are the entry date in the Spanish custom with the Custom Unified Document number at 06-13-2002 and the declaration of pyment of custom taxes at 12-18-2002

Te european market is very different to american market, in example: It's very habitual that the seats are made wirh cloth, because there are a lot of countries very hottest and the most of houses are condominiums and a lot doesn't has garage, the leather can be a issue in summer, not all people wants leather seats.

The streets are very narrow, the gas cost (in Spain) more than double that in USA, the people doesn't want cars like Cadillacs, here there are ruinous and difficult to use and of course, difficult to park if you hasn't a garage.

Only some crazy people like me has three american car with size greater that five meter

My Chrysler has cloth seats. In Europe, the leather seats there are usually an option, but every country is totally different, only the premium models has leather seat, including premium cars, like BMW series 7 or Mercedes Class E or S was made with cloth seats. In the case of 300M, only the 3.5 liters version has leather seats with memory and sun roof, the 2.7 version does not had the option, but this kind of things depend of the importer.

For example: Canary Island are a part of Spain, but has an independent tax status and the cars importers are different and they decides what options the car has and this options are differents that in the rest of Spain. Curious, isn't it?

Europe isn't like USA. In USA there are a lot of states with differences, but at the end is the same country for this kind of things and others more.

Europe not. Europe is a united of very, very different countries, with some common things, principally some economic, custom, work and some other laws, but we don't even have a common language.

I think that there are about 25 official languages, you can imagine how the preferences and needs of cars vary.

I gave a bigspeech, I hope it was not boring :D :D :D
 #389082  by LUNAT1C

Your car is an early 2001 then. Very bizarre that it the customs paperwork didn't start until June of 2002, sounds like it sat either in Chrysler's holding lot or the port's lot for close to two years, wow! My April 2002 build Special was already on the dealer lot by the time your early 01 even left our shores bound for yours. If it was in custom's hands, that would make sense... custom's works on their own time. :lol:

But that explains the early style connector.

Not boring at all. Europe always intrigues me with how different things are "across the pond". The 300M was designed to be shorter than its LH platform mates so it could be offered in Europe, because yes European streets demand shorter cars. Still very wide of course, I wouldn't drive one through the narrow streets of an old city in Italy. I remember when I travelled to Helsinki almost 10 years ago, the Mercedes E-Class was essentially the Ford Crown Victoria of Europe... very commonly used in Taxi fleets.
 #389366  by HelLRaiseR

Sorry for the delay in answer. I don't enter in the forum for more than three weeks. I had works in the garage and it was an horrible experience (in Spain, the work with masons is very, very stressant, because they ever makes the things that they want, not the things that you ask)

But there are finished at the end ! :P :P :P

Finally I installed the new radio in the car, I buyed a new 2001 harness and connect the antenna power cable to the cable of the harness (my radio doesn't has this connection in the ISO cable) and now works fine.

I only need to install the rear camera that I was received the last week and investigate if I need an interface to use the steering wheel controls or I can use a harness like in the 2002 model.

I continue with the install ... And I spect start the second phase soon: tyre presure sensors, OBD info, etc.
 #389370  by LUNAT1C

I never had the chance to investigate when I had my 2001 Intrepid (same exact design, different styling and ride), but I would think something like a PAC-SWI or Axxess steering wheel interface compatible with your radio should work. I have an Axxess unit that I bought from Crutchfield way back in 2011 that has worked flawlessly with two different Kenwood double din DVD/Nav units.

If you're trying to get OBD information to your radio, you're in for some very custom electronics work. I'm able to get TPMS, door closure status, OBD, etc on the Kenwood in my Jeep Wrangler because it has a CAN-BUS system and the harness adapter (can't remember the name of it) for that is designed to pull in that information that normally would have gone to a factory radio. LH cars use a PCI-BUS system, and I'm not aware of anyone who has gotten that information to an aftermarket radio yet.