Maybe we should have called this the Zaino forum

Moderator: Moderators

#304671  by Null
 April 16th, 2013, 9:57 pm
This guy loves his job

#304689  by Bill Putney
 April 17th, 2013, 6:09 am
null26 wrote:This guy loves his job...
Hah! You're right. Contagious enthusiasm.

Lots of goood tips for Matt's business idea in there.

I see several people here trying something new with their Porter-Cable polishers!

There have been threads over the years with people complaining about acid-like etching of the glass on their cars. I bet that process would thoroughly take care of that.

I wish they would invent some kind of polymer coating that would fill in the micro-pitting (sand-blasting) on older windshields.
 #304690  by Null
 April 17th, 2013, 6:12 am
I am totally getting a porter cable in the summer! Seems like a pretty safe tool
 #304699  by FIREM
 April 17th, 2013, 9:00 am
Zaino Z-12 Clear-View Glass Polish + Mr. Porter Cable = :D Stoner Invisible Glass for the final touch 8)
Description: Make your glass disappear! Z-12 isn't a glass cleaner, it's a glass polish. With mild abrasives, Z-12 deep cleans and polishes glass surfaces with ease. Use Z-12 to remove acid rain spots, hard water spots, road film, and bird stains. Z-12 is so effective that it even removes fine to medium scratches. *Not for use on aftermarket window tint, coated glass, painted, or plastic surfaces.
One of these for the inside, good to go...
That guy in the video must have a spy cam in my garage :lol:
 #304707  by Null
 April 17th, 2013, 11:15 am
Well clearly you both know what your doing :D
 #304710  by Bill Putney
 April 17th, 2013, 11:22 am
FIREM wrote:Zaino Z-12 Clear-View Glass Polish + Mr. Porter Cable = :D Stoner Invisible Glass for the final touch 8)
It's MISTER Porter cable to you! LOL!
Description: Make your glass disappear! Z-12 isn't a glass cleaner, it's a glass polish. With mild abrasives, Z-12 deep cleans and polishes glass surfaces with ease. Use Z-12 to remove acid rain spots, hard water spots, road film, and bird stains. Z-12 is so effective that it even removes fine to medium scratches...
Bob - Would it be correct to say that no reasonable amount of polishing would remove sand blasting (maybe reduce it a tiny bit, but nothing really noticeable?). Maybe I need to see if my ins. co. would replace the windshields "for safety reasons" on their nickel (my '98 also has moderate to severe distortions along the upper and lower 4 to 6 inches.
 #304712  by Null
 April 17th, 2013, 11:25 am
so when they painted your car they accidentally sand blasted the window also?
 #304714  by FIREM
 April 17th, 2013, 11:33 am
"Bob - Would it be correct to say that no reasonable amount of polishing would remove sand blasting (maybe reduce it a tiny bit, but nothing really noticeable?). Maybe I need to see if my ins. co. would replace the windshields "for safety reasons" on their nickel (my '98 also has moderate to severe distortions along the upper and lower 4 to 6 inches."

Correct Bill, I have tried but it is time for 2 windshields for me :(
Pro-Am split over the winter
FIREM sandblasted to death now 2 tiny star bursts.
 #304715  by JTROANOKE
 April 17th, 2013, 11:40 am
I wonder if the sandblasting/pitting is somewhat regional and dependent on local asphalt formulations. I lived in Atlanta for many years before moving to Virginia. I never had this problem before but it seems that it has happened to some degree to all my vehicles since I moved here. And when I get a broken windshield that insurance will replace it always seems to be one of the better ones. My wifes windshield has some pitting but nowhere near the M's. So naturally that is the one that cracked 2 weeks ago. I am going to contact the glass company after the appointment is made for her car and see if they will discount for a twofer and get the M's done on my dime. I drive east to work in the morning and west coming home in the evening, so naturally a pitted windshield really stinks when you are always driving into the sun.
 #304752  by Bill Putney
 April 17th, 2013, 5:44 pm
null26 wrote:so when they painted your car they accidentally sand blasted the window also?
No - not at all. The one I had painted is the '98 - not much pitting on that one - just manufacturing defects (glass is wavy at top and bottom giving visual distortion). It's the '98 (the one not painted - has over 255k miles on it) that the windsheild is seriously pitted on.
FIREM wrote:"Bob - Would it be correct to say that no reasonable amount of polishing would remove sand blasting (maybe reduce it a tiny bit, but nothing really noticeable?). Maybe I need to see if my ins. co. would replace the windshields "for safety reasons" on their nickel (my '98 also has moderate to severe distortions along the upper and lower 4 to 6 inches."

Correct Bill, I have tried but it is time for 2 windshields for me :( ...
Thanks for confirming.
JTROANOKE wrote:I wonder if the sandblasting/pitting is somewhat regional and dependent on local asphalt formulations. I lived in Atlanta for many years before moving to Virginia. I never had this problem before but it seems that it has happened to some degree to all my vehicles since I moved here...
It is definitely regional. I lived in Colorado for a few years, and it was the worst I've seen. There were people I knew who travled a lot (outside sales etc.) that routinely/automatically had their windshields replaced every two years if not every year. I had mentioned LOF brand of glass before - and they had a lifetime guarantee even for that. I had a windshield replaced for a crack and questioned them heavily about that, and they were adamant that they stood behind their guarantee (their glass also withstood the sandblasting the best also).