Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Compounding Over spray

• Maybe we should have called this the Zaino forum
Membership Banner

Maybe we should have called this the Zaino forum

Moderator: Moderators

#369495  by In-trepid
 September 21st, 2017, 1:48 pm
While doing some scratch repair on my blue Special with Meguiar's M105 Ultra Cut Compound, I hit the rubber around the windows and the gray plastic for the Special ground effects. Each now seems to have a white haze that nothing seems to remove. I've tried Back to Black Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner, a tooth brush with Dawn, and alcohol all to no avail. Also tried Back to Black and Addams VRT. While they make the rubber look better, the white spots remain. Any ideas?
 #369499  by cos1776
 September 21st, 2017, 6:41 pm
Try some wax and grease remover, a product body shops use to remove all traces of wax, grease and silicone before paint work. Try it in an inconspicuous spot first to make sure it doesn't hurt the surface, and only on the areas that need the compound removed. You will probably have to treat the cleaned areas with some 303 Penetrant or similar product to restore the original look.

John
 #369500  by FIREM
 September 21st, 2017, 6:54 pm
If Back to Black cleaner didn't work, an auto body "preps all" like NAPA FT200 may do it. Maybe try a "gel" type bug & tar remover. Let is soak a while. Worst case may need to "weather" a while. Sun will evaporate the oils and then the white residue should come off with Back to Black cleaner.