Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • So You Want To Get Your Leather Seats Clean???

• Get a vacuum and some Armor-All Leather Wipes. What else do you need?
Membership Banner

Get a vacuum and some Armor-All Leather Wipes. What else do you need?

Moderator: Moderators

#197220  by 300maximilien
 June 18th, 2009, 6:29 pm
I have been complaining about my leather lately and my GF suggested I try a certain type of cleaner. Well about a month goes by and I finally decided to give it a try. You wont believe this....I used WATER!!! And a Mr Clean Magic Eraser!!!! Thats it. And then fiinished off with some Lexol Leather Conditioner. THEY LOOK BRAND NEW!!!

Here are some pics

top of picture is after, bottom is before cleaning

Close up

Wide Shot...now I have to scrub the seat belts!!
Katzchen78 liked this

#197225  by grayslater
 June 18th, 2009, 6:50 pm
Note that when using the magic eraser for anything you need to go over it with an absorbent towel or rag. It definitely works but it is not a sponge and will not absorb or wipe up.

I've used the eraser to remove markings on the seat but not to clean the whole thing. Thanks for the tip, Craig. I need to do this on both Ms.

#197231  by Carfan77
 June 18th, 2009, 7:37 pm
Wow, results look impressive! I've never wanted a light interior because of the dirt, and the lack of ability to clean it effectively. They do look good new, and if there is a way to clean it...hmmmm. 8)
Katzchen78 liked this

#197234  by 300maximilien
 June 18th, 2009, 7:45 pm
grayslater wrote:Note that when using the magic eraser for anything you need to go over it with an absorbent towel or rag. It definitely works but it is not a sponge and will not absorb or wipe up.
Good point to make Cory. After a light scrubbing with the Magic Eraser and I mean light (It doesn't take much effort). Wipe it clean with a clean cloth (I used paper towels). Make sure to clean the eraser often as well. It even gets the threads clean!

Don't forget to hydrate with a high quality leather conditioner.
Katzchen78 liked this

#197240  by Avenger
 June 18th, 2009, 8:35 pm
GREAT tip Craig :)

#197241  by 300M_Brat
 June 18th, 2009, 8:43 pm
Wow.... :shock: Would have never thought to use a magic eraser. Thanks for the daring 1st efferts.

#197250  by Timbo
 June 18th, 2009, 9:27 pm
Wow, just as a few have said. I never would have thought about the magic eraser.

#197254  by swalker
 June 18th, 2009, 10:08 pm
Bob and I have a question. How did it get that dirty :lol: Just kidding looks great.

#197256  by 300maximilien
 June 18th, 2009, 10:18 pm
swalker wrote:Bob and I have a question. How did it get that dirty :lol: Just kidding looks great.
Windows open all the time and Dirty Rugrats!

I used leather wipes all the time just never got them clean I guess.

This is like clay bar for your leather!
Katzchen78 liked this

#197280  by FIREM
 June 19th, 2009, 5:41 am
Beat my to the question Stan LOL j/k looks great. Magic Eraser, haven't tried one yet, has potential.......

#197286  by 300maximilien
 June 19th, 2009, 7:21 am
FIREM wrote:Beat my to the question Stan LOL j/k looks great. Magic Eraser, haven't tried one yet, has potential.......
You guys are killing me!!

The Magic Eraser works very well on the plastic interior parts as well. I just installed a new/used pair of C-pillar trim (mine had broken tabs) and after hitting them with the Eraser they looked like new again.

#197289  by 300maximilien
 June 19th, 2009, 7:46 am
dudley wrote: I wonder what the chemicals in that thing do to the leather though. Cant argue with the pics though.

Maybe a PH neutral leather conditioner would negate the bad effects of the eraser if there is one?
Couple of articles. No residual chemicals. It's only a mild abrasive. Clay Bar for Leather. I think I am going to market this!!! :sifone:
Magic Eraser is a cleaning stick made of melamine foam. Melamine is a resin used in construction and the automotive industry as a sound barrier and flame retardant. It also imparts strength and is used in such products as dinnerware and laminate counter tops.
The eraser is moistened with water so it adheres slightly to the surface to be cleaned. (Mr. Clean likens this to licking your finger when you turn a page.) Then it is rubbed over the spot or stain. The water breaks down the product into a microscopic polymer abrasive that grabs dirts in the spaces that a regular sponge or brush can't get to.
Melamine foam is a foam-like material consisting of a formaldehyde-melamine-sodium bisulfite copolymer.
The foam is manufactured in Germany by BASF under the name "Basotect". It has been used for over 20 years as insulation for pipes and ductwork, and has a long history as a soundproofing material for studios, sounds stages, auditoriums, and the like. The low smoke and flame properties of melamine foam prevent it from being a fire hazard[citation needed].
In the early 21st century it was discovered that melamine foam was an effective abrasive cleaner. The open cell foam is microporous and its polymeric substance is extremely hard, so that when used for cleaning it works like extremely fine sandpaper, getting into tiny grooves and pits in the object being cleaned. On a larger scale the material feels soft. Because the bubbles interconnect, its structure is more like a maze of fibreglass strands than like the array of separate bubbles in, for example, styrofoam.
Rubbing with slightly moistened foam may remove otherwise "uncleanable" external markings from surfaces. For example, it can remove crayon, magic marker, and grease from painted walls, wood finishings, plastic-adhering paints from treated wooden tables, adhesive residue, and grime from hub caps[citation needed]. The surface being cleaned may be finely scratched if not hard. The foam wears away, rather like a pencil eraser, and leaves a slight residue behind which can be rinsed away.
Melamine foam for cleaning uses is supplied by several companies under brand names such as "Nano Sponge" Betsys Coralite Ultimate Sponge, or as a generic product sometimes described as a "dirt eraser". The Procter & Gamble version, Mr. Clean "Magic Eraser", was awarded the Electrical Audio Intern's Corner "Key Buy" award in 2003.

#197295  by grayslater
 June 19th, 2009, 8:57 am
300maximilien wrote:The Magic Eraser works very well on the plastic interior parts as well. I just installed a new/used pair of C-pillar trim (mine had broken tabs) and after hitting them with the Eraser they looked like new again.
Most definitely works really well on the plastic interior. Just have to remember to wipe the area with a clean towel once again. Removes scuff marks from shoes too.

#197537  by 300M_Brat
 June 21st, 2009, 8:52 pm
So thanks to this great thread idea :roll: , I bet you'll never guess how I spent the first three hours of my fathers day :wink: .... But man it turned out great. I first used the magic eraser and then used some Lexol leather cleaner, then the meguiar's Gold leather conditioner to finish it off.

#197538  by 300maximilien
 June 21st, 2009, 8:57 pm
300M_Brat wrote:So thanks to this great thread idea :roll: , I bet you'll never guess how I spent the first three hours of my fathers day :wink: .... But man it turned out great. I first used the magic eraser and then used some Lexol leather cleaner, then the meguiar's Gold leather conditioner to finish it off.