Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Schrader EZ Sensor

• Let's talk about maintaining tires and wheels
Membership Banner

Let's talk about maintaining tires and wheels

Moderator: Moderators

#370144  by monte4
 November 1st, 2017, 10:34 am
Has anyone used these yet? They're relatively new and are basically one sensor that is used for almost any application. It is programmed with a programming tool though so our retraining with a magnet is out (possible downside?). I'm in need of at least 2 sensors for my winter wheels (Dorman's quit) and my tire dealer that I deal with wants me to go with these over a 20028 specific fit Schrader sensor. He would have to order the 20028's as all he is stocking is the new EZ sensors. Pricing is the same for either.
 #370146  by monte4
 November 1st, 2017, 11:00 am
Doing some more reading about these on the net, I'm thinking that maybe once these have been programmed to our car by the installer, then we can use our magnet to set up after a tire rotation, etc.
 #370147  by Sneke_Eyez
 November 1st, 2017, 11:57 am
Dunno why you'd bother when you know Schrader 20028s will work perfectly.

But - I've never heard of these at all - maybe they're the best thing ever, but I just keep buying 20028s.
 #370148  by FIREM
 November 1st, 2017, 1:33 pm
Look more expensive than regular replacements. Rubber snap in stem? Can it be serviced/replaced seperatly? 20028 can get service kits for them. Must be programmed still unsure of retrain at rotate with magnet? I’ll stick with 20028 for now
 #370150  by LUNAT1C
 November 1st, 2017, 5:21 pm
Unless they're very well reviewed, or your tire installer will replace them with no labor charge if they fail (mine doesn't even if I bring in the sensors, Discount Tire), I would stick to the tried and true. So many vehicles have so many different systems, I wouldn't trust it to work correctly.
 #370202  by monte4
 November 3rd, 2017, 5:32 pm
So I've talked with 3 other tire dealers (other than mine) and they are all telling me the same thing. Pre-programmed sensors will soon be a thing of the past because of the different amounts of sensors needed for vehicles (currently their are 114 different vehicle specific sensors). Schrader and a couple of other companies have come out with these newer sensors. The schrader is programmed by the installer to any of the 3 frequencies used and then it is the same as a vehicle specific sensor (so will train with our magnet). It is mix and matchable if you are using another brand of sensor in your other wheels. They use a rubber stem that is replaceable whereas the 20028 is not. My dealer has been using these for 2 years now and hasn't had any returns. The only place I can get the 2008's is on amazon or ebay here in Canada and they're almost $60 each plus shipping (you'se in the U.S. are lucky as I've seen them online for around $40 but with exchange and duty not worth it for me). Then I would have to pay my installer to install them since I wouldn't be buying from him. So I've decided that I'll be the guinea pig for us and I'm going to buy 2 of the new ones for my winter wheels. $60 each installed (still not cheap). He says he'll stand behind them for 2 years.
 #370204  by FalKen
 November 3rd, 2017, 5:47 pm
being the guinea pig for anything on our cars is a good thing. you may have found the next best thing on our (getting older) cars. technology,knowledge (and of course money) is going to win for our cars to survive today. let us know how how it goes.
 #370212  by adu1982
 November 4th, 2017, 12:26 pm
Yup *2
I need new tires for the special ... All 4 so I'll be in for 4 sensors (maybe 5) . My oem spare still works ok...and the tire is brand new (never been used or even taken out I think).

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
 #370216  by skinnyg
 November 4th, 2017, 3:11 pm
We do them at work all the time, I just put 4 in my car (hyundai), they are fine, all you have to do is match the frequency you need. The hard plastic/metal sensors suck, they leak, break, etc. We have swapped a few cars over to the rubber ones, GM actually superseded their sensors over to the rubber ones years ago. They have a replaceable valve stem that costs like $1.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
 #373079  by mnitetrain
 April 15th, 2018, 9:35 am
Are they able to read/show actual tire pressure as 20028 or do they just advise low tire pressure?? I feel ability to know exact tire pressure at any time is best feature of our M's.
 #373082  by monte4
 April 15th, 2018, 10:11 am
They show actual tire pressure just like the 20028's. Last week I put my summer rims and tires back on and replaced all four with the EZ sensors. 2 of the Doorman's that were on the tires were dead last fall when I took the wheels off.
 #373236  by mnitetrain
 April 21st, 2018, 8:41 am
Guess that's good to hhear!
 #382929  by M-Pressive
 March 18th, 2020, 8:01 pm
Hey Ellis,

What is the verdict on these?

Where did you go to get them set up for the car?
 #382974  by monte4
 March 20th, 2020, 3:58 pm
Sorry, I just posted in the above thread. I've had no problem with them yet (I have 9 installed - summer wheels, winter wheels and spare). Been coming up on 2 years on the summers and no problems. The only drawback is your tire dealer has to program them for you. Our magnets won't work to program them even though when I originally bought them they said I could still program them myself. Any tire dealer should be able to program them for you if you buy them online. You just have to make sure that their hand held programmer will do all 5 sensors (if you have 1 in your spare). Some of the programmers will only do 4 not your spare.