Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Is auto car wash with underside spray OK?

• Yes some people clean their engine, some don't. You know who you are. :)
John Benjamin Memorial Virtual Car Show Banner

Membership Banner

Yes some people clean their engine, some don't. You know who you are. :)

Moderator: Moderators

#382707  by J&C
 March 9th, 2020, 5:08 am
Is it ok to power wash the motors to clean them? If so should I do it with motor running or can is it ok to do it with it off?
 #382708  by adu1982
 March 9th, 2020, 6:01 am
Don't know if I would call it power wash, but I've cleaned my cars engine with the water turned to Max on a hose with a spray nozzle , and all has been good but with the car turned off and then air blowed....

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

#382711  by M-Pressive
 March 9th, 2020, 7:21 am
I have done it many times with no issues. Usually with the car off.
 #382716  by beespecial
 March 9th, 2020, 2:18 pm
I have never been comfortable with spraying my engine while it was running. It is not likely that it would suck in water but why chance it? Also, be very careful spraying electrical components with high pressure.
 #382717  by First Lady
 March 9th, 2020, 3:58 pm
Have seen engine bays sprayed many times...I'd suggest maybe just start with a regular hose and see if it accomplished what you're looking to do. Work up from there and just be mindful about where you're spraying! Also be careful if you're using any cleaning chemical as water sprays everywhere!!
 #382718  by LUNAT1C
 March 9th, 2020, 4:05 pm
Be careful not to get water into the air filter, or into any electrical connectors. Hose pressure might be fine, but a pressure washer would force the water into the electrical contacts and accelerate corrosion. I typically avoid the filter, alternator, PCM, coils, and other connectors when I pressure wash my engines, and use a long bristle brush with degreaser or APC to agitate the rest and hose off.