• Indy 2012

• Discuss Club Meetings and Functions
Ocean City 2019 Banner

Membership Banner

Discuss Club Meetings and Functions

Moderator: Moderators

#265844  by beespecial
 September 1st, 2011, 11:09 am
FIREM wrote:Hope to attend 2012 but need to convince the wife....
...to come along?
 #265845  by FIREM
 September 1st, 2011, 11:13 am
No, Let me go out to the 101st race 8)
 #265847  by beespecial
 September 1st, 2011, 11:21 am
You know she'll never really appreciate the race if she doesn't see it LIVE! :wink:
 #266155  by BigMike60
 September 5th, 2011, 6:51 pm
Don't think it is the 101st race. They missed a couple of years during WW II. The track did celebrate its 100th Anniversary last year though.
 #266315  by BigMike60
 September 7th, 2011, 5:14 pm
John gets all the breaks. Here is the latest posting off the IMS site. Wish I could get another vacation day.

GRAND-AM drivers and teams prepared for the inaugural Super Weekend at the Brickyard in July 2012 by testing Wednesday, Sept. 7 on the Grand Prix road course at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

Testing also is scheduled from 9 a.m.-noon and 1-5 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 8, with Daytona Prototypes and GT cars from the Rolex Sports Car Series and Grand Sport and Street Tuner cars from the Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge. Fans are welcome to watch GRAND-AM testing Thursday for free from the South Terrace grandstands adjacent to the IMS Hall of Fame Museum.
 #266358  by beespecial
 September 8th, 2011, 10:36 am
BigMike60 wrote:John gets all the breaks. Here is the latest posting off the IMS site. Wish I could get another vacation day.

GRAND-AM drivers and teams prepared for the inaugural Super Weekend at the Brickyard in July 2012 by testing Wednesday, Sept. 7 on the Grand Prix road course at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

Testing also is scheduled from 9 a.m.-noon and 1-5 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 8, with Daytona Prototypes and GT cars from the Rolex Sports Car Series and Grand Sport and Street Tuner cars from the Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge. Fans are welcome to watch GRAND-AM testing Thursday for free from the South Terrace grandstands adjacent to the IMS Hall of Fame Museum.
Windy, misty weather today may cut down on some of the testing as well as attendance. On the other hand, the weather would feel an awful lot like mid-May. High temp today expected to be mid to high 60s at best. I can't make it anyway. Too much work to get done.
 #266362  by BigMike60
 September 8th, 2011, 11:37 am
Yeah, it has been crappy, misty, cooler and occasionally rainy here for the last two days, and we may get more tomorrow. Thanks go to tropical storm Lee, although we can definitely use the rain. Hate to see it impact IMS doings though, unless it were to push the testing back to Saturday. If you see that happening let me know John and I will haul butt up there on Saturday.
 #266388  by BigMike60
 September 9th, 2011, 8:38 am
Darn it. I checked with Indy this a.m. and the gal said that they were doing testing right now as the weather was holding at present. I was hoping it would get pushed back until tomorrow, but unless it gets cancelled later, I will not be able to make a run up there and see anything tomorrow. John, if you hear anything, or see any rain later in the day that might cause a further cancellation of p.m. testing please let me know. Guess I could also call the Speedway tomorrow morning just to be sure they got it all done today. It would take me 2+ hours to get up there if anything is going on tomorrow. Bummer.
 #266396  by beespecial
 September 9th, 2011, 9:42 am
Been dry so far all this morning. Radar doesn't show any rain anywhere close. Got all the clouds and nothing to show for it. Still unseasonably cool too. Not expected to even reach 70 today but fortunately the wind has died down considerably. My guess is that they'll probably get all their testing done today. In fact, today was added on because the previous 2 days were shortened due to the weather.
 #266543  by BigMike60
 September 11th, 2011, 6:00 pm
Saw this as part of a story on the IMS site today: Ron McQueeney, 66, retired Sept. 9 after a legendary, 40-year career behind the lens at IMS, including serving as director of photography since 1977. He will continue to shoot races and selected other events, and participate in various historical photography projects at IMS.

Ron was our photog who took the photos of our cars crossing the Yard of Bricks each time we did the Mayor's Breakfast lap on the track. With his retirement I do not know if we will be able to have that photo shoot next time. I will try to stay in touch with him between now and race day. A really great guy and he went out of his way to help our Club whenever we asked.
 #267002  by SilverHawk35
 September 19th, 2011, 5:25 pm
I am a shoe in for the meet....i love cars and racing but dont like being around that many ppl......i will make an exception.....and hang around you guys all week end.
 #267234  by BigMike60
 September 23rd, 2011, 12:04 pm
John gets lucky again. On the track people, on the track. Geez.

The following from Autoweek today: The first test of IndyCar's 2012 car at Indianapolis Motor Speedway will be Tuesday through Thursday at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

The car driven by Indianapolis 500 winner Dan Wheldon can be seen from the bleachers in front of the Hall of Fame Museum. Testing generally begins about 9 a.m. and runs through the day.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2011092 ... z1YnPxTGj3
 #267620  by FIREM
 September 30th, 2011, 3:22 pm
Guess "Little Al" won't be putting in an appearance......
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/2 ... 3%7C100415
 #268369  by tinman
 October 11th, 2011, 12:03 pm
Cribbed from today's Autoweek daily drive:

The Indianapolis Motor Speedway will begin selling tickets for the 2012 Indianapolis 500 on Tuesday, Oct. 11.

Fans can get tickets for the May 27, 2012, race by visiting the official IMS Web site or by calling or visiting the Speedway's ticket office. Race Day tickets start at $30.

Here is more information on the three ways to get tickets:

-- Online: Visit the Tickets section of www.indianapolismotorspeedway.com.

-- Phone: Call the IMS ticket office between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Eastern at (317) 492-6700 or (800) 822-INDY outside the Indianapolis area.

-- In person: Visit the ticket office at the IMS Administration Building at the corner of Georgetown Road and 16th Street between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Eastern.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2011101 ... z1aUf4sXO9
 #268845  by BigMike60
 October 20th, 2011, 8:13 pm
Yeah, mine were ordered the week after the 2011 race finished. Keep upgrading each year for better area but still like to be under the roof for obvious reasons. I note that they cost only about $90 a seat for the race. I priced some Bruins - Red Wings tickets for when I am home around T-giving and they were between $150 and $450 a ticket for good seats depending on the level in the Garden. Give me a break. For one game? Can't see paying $500 for a pair of seats, guess it will be NESN while I am home.