Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • IndyMeet 2013 wrap-up

• Discuss Club Meetings and Functions
Membership Banner

Discuss Club Meetings and Functions

Moderator: Moderators

#308016  by First Lady
 May 23rd, 2013, 7:54 am
FIREM wrote:Lindsey: Please add your spin on "Secret agent Bill" as we entered the speedway Sunday :wink:
How could I forget!! Thanks for the reminder Bob....it's added!
 #308387  by FIREM
 May 26th, 2013, 9:08 pm
Finally watched the Great Race. Of courst the year I don't stay My Guy Wins !!! Go Tony !!! Finally an Indy Win!!
 #308393  by M-Pressive
 May 26th, 2013, 9:56 pm
FIREM wrote:Finally watched the Great Race. Of courst the year I don't stay My Guy Wins !!! Go Tony !!! Finally an Indy Win!!
It was an awesome race!!!!

I knew you would be excited that your guy won.

I gained a whole new appreciation for the race after being on the track.
 #308547  by YardleyBill
 May 28th, 2013, 8:58 am
What the heck is this winning under a yellow flag thing?

If a guy on your team was in the lead, and you were in 33rd place, couldn't you "accidentally" bump a wall to get the yellow flag and ensure a win?
 #308577  by FIREM
 May 28th, 2013, 10:46 am
YardleyBill wrote:What the heck is this winning under a yellow flag thing?

If a guy on your team was in the lead, and you were in 33rd place, couldn't you "accidentally" bump a wall to get the yellow flag and ensure a win?
One of the "flaws" in this type of race is the finish under yellow as opposed to the NASCAR Green/White/ Checkered Flag finishes.
Not really sure why this has not changed in Indy Car but it is what it is...
And yes in theory a team mate could wreck to bring out the yellow, but to put a million dollar car and driver at risk....questionable at best...
 #308599  by YardleyBill
 May 28th, 2013, 12:14 pm
FIREM wrote:And yes in theory a team mate could wreck to bring out the yellow, but to put a million dollar car and driver at risk....questionable at best...
You wouldn't even have to do that. You could just slow down and graze the wall, or whatever. Have someone accidentally throw something onto the track. The possibilities are endless.

I know it's a "gentleman's" game, but man there are a lot of loopholes there.
 #308678  by FIREM
 May 28th, 2013, 5:49 pm
 #308731  by BigMike60
 May 29th, 2013, 6:19 am
I am not in favor of a change. These teams figure fuel to the drop and suddenly having to go 3 more laps at the end favors only the guy who had to stop [Danica and Marco last year] because his/her team screwed up the calculation earlier. The final lap, absent the exhibition a few years ago when no one could come close to catching Franchitti is always going to be prone to crashes. Any race with Sato and Rahal in it tempts that fate, but having said that, I am against a change, even when things get a little hairy [3 wide and passing] on the final lap. And 2 years ago, had Hildebrand not been blocked on the final turn by Kimball who was out of gas, but still in the slot, he would not have had to go wide and slide into the wall allowing Wheldon to unfortunately win the race. Had Wheldon not won [he had only a one ride ticket] he would not have been at his death race in that car trying to win $5M for a double. Sad but true.
 #308733  by FIREM
 May 29th, 2013, 6:32 am
I agree and do not favor a change in the rule as it is. As exciting as a finish under green is there is so much more to the 500 that plays out at the finish. Position thru the race, keeping the car tuned to the track conditions that constantly change, pit stop precision, team work along with single entry owners vs big name teams, and on and on.
 #308890  by beespecial
 May 30th, 2013, 10:18 am
It's a 500 mile race. Period. Not 502.5 or 505 or whatever it would take to get a green flag finish. I seriously doubt that Franchitti put into the wall because he wanted his friend, not teammate, to win.
 #308900  by FIREM
 May 30th, 2013, 11:20 am
beespecial wrote:It's a 500 mile race. Period. Not 502.5 or 505 or whatever it would take to get a green flag finish. I seriously doubt that Franchitti put into the wall because he wanted his friend, not teammate, to win.
Bet Kyle has an opinion on this :lol:
He was rather upset at the extention of time for the shoot out....
 #308901  by YardleyBill
 May 30th, 2013, 11:28 am
FIREM wrote:Bet Kyle has an opinion on this :lol:
Yeah he kept saying "the track closes at SIX! at SIX!" :)
 #308909  by beespecial
 May 30th, 2013, 6:42 pm
Ha. Yeah, Kyle never lacks for an opinion. Especially when it comes to the race.
 #308956  by YardleyBill
 May 31st, 2013, 8:56 am
beespecial wrote:
Ha. Yeah, Kyle never lacks for an opinion. Especially when it comes to the race.
He was a really cool guy to meet. I could bet if I lived in Indy I've be hanging out with him and his crew race day.

We even talked about the HofBrau House in Munich!
 #308991  by beespecial
 May 31st, 2013, 1:07 pm
Kyle's all business on race day. Won't drink any beer on race day so that he doesn't spend time away from the race for restroom breaks. But the rest of the month is fair game. He's a good guy. Glad he married my daughter. Too bad you couldn't have met her too but she's usually busy in the pagoda. She's my 'connection' for track perks.