Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Oil Capacity - What is it?

• Everything you need to know about changing the oil on your LH.
Membership Banner

Everything you need to know about changing the oil on your LH.

Moderator: Moderators

#58845  by Whitey300
 July 18th, 2003, 11:42 am
According to the manual on my 2002 M, in liters, in states that you should put in 4.7 with filter change and 4.3 w/o. I buy the Mobil One 5w30 in four liter jugs when on sale plus a one liter bottle to make up five liters. Is this classified as a tad overfilled? In addition, Mobil One has now come up with a 4.4 liter jug. This confuses the issue since it would be short by .3 liters according to the manual. Ideas anyone?
 #58846  by Red Baron
 July 18th, 2003, 2:18 pm
For me it was about 4.5 quarts with filter.Don
 #58847  by Whitey300
 July 20th, 2003, 7:26 am
Don, if yours is 4.5 liters with filter change, then it would seem to me that the variance between 4.3 to 5 liters is not critical. Does anyone else have comments on this?
 #58848  by 99300mricva
 July 20th, 2003, 7:48 am
I usually put in 5-1/2 quarts, or close to it, and I'm using a longer filter (Amsoil SDF-15 equivalent to Ford FL-1A in size). I initially put in 5, then top it off to the full mark after I drive the car somewhere and come home.
 #58849  by Whitey300
 July 21st, 2003, 10:24 am
You guys are refering to quarts - not liters (litres?). I'm looking at a chart and it states that 1 imperial quart = l.l37 liters and 1 U.S. quart = 0.946 liters. I'm not sure if my manual refers to imperial or U.S. measures. The car is for the canadian market. In any case, there appears to be a fair spread between what people are using.

#90396  by swalker
 October 30th, 2005, 6:04 pm
what the (*^*%$ is that

#90406  by Carfan77
 October 30th, 2005, 8:19 pm
The mysterious hand of Message Board protection...

#122640  by Hilton
 November 18th, 2006, 2:50 pm
I'm surprised this isn't stickied. Seems like it'd be a pretty common question asked in the "changing oil" section. This along with "what filter"

#122642  by grayslater
 November 18th, 2006, 3:06 pm
Hilton wrote:I'm surprised this isn't stickied. Seems like it'd be a pretty common question asked in the "changing oil" section. This along with "what filter"
Both of these items (capacities and common filters) are listed in the "knowledgebase" section! Posted by yours truely! :)

Per my thread and 2004 FSM
Engine Oil* 4.7 L (5.0 qts.)

*(includes filter)

#122645  by grayslater
 November 18th, 2006, 3:21 pm
Standard Procedure
Engine Oil Level Check
2004 FSM
The best time to check engine oil level is after it has sat overnight, or if the engine has been running, allow the engine to be shutt off for at least 5 minutes before checking oil level.

Checking the oil while the vehicle is on level ground will improve the accuracy of the oil level reading.
Now the following I did not realize. I'd always want to top off my oil so that it was full.
Add only when the level is at or below the ADD mark.

#122647  by Bill Putney
 November 18th, 2006, 5:16 pm
grayslater wrote:Now the following I did not realize. I'd always want to top off my oil so that it was full.
Add only when the level is at or below the ADD mark.
I agree with you, Cory. I don't know where they came up with that or why. I add when it is generally around 1/2 between 'Full' and 'Add' or lower. If I check it at a fuel fill up and it reads, say, 1/4 or 3/8 up from 'Add', it makes no sense to intentionally wait until it's *at* the 'Add' mark - at that point it may not be convenient for me to add it - like if I'm on the road away from home. Generally next time I pull into the driveway after such a reading, I'll pop into the garage and add the appropriate amount of oil to bring it to the full mark.

Maybe they're assuming people add a complete quart whenever they add any at all. In any case, the engine is definitely safe with it anywhere between 'Add' and 'Full', so each person has to come up with a 'top-off' philosophy that makes sense to them.

#122656  by Ruffy
 November 18th, 2006, 9:54 pm
5.5 quarts usually for me

Last oil change 5 quarts brought it to full after filter+ fluid
 #376513  by coatsy
 November 13th, 2018, 7:56 am
One 5L jug for me and top up if needed after a short run, but never hVe had to. Always filter swapped when doing change
 #376587  by hrmwrm
 November 17th, 2018, 3:43 am
just a few days short of a 12 year ressurection. :D
i always use 5 litres. i also use the larger of the 2 filters that fit. makes it easier to get at.
 #376591  by In-trepid
 November 17th, 2018, 5:40 pm
I always use the 090 Mopar filter and a 5 quart jug of oil. It comes up about 3/4 of the way on the hash marked part of the dip stick. I've been known to top it off if I need a bit of oil in one of the other cars, otherwise I just run with it until it gets a little lower. The rings and valve guide seals don't seal so well in these over 100K miles cars, so I always find myself adding a quart or two of oil between changes. Based on this, I would say that 5 liters will bring the oil level to the top of the hashed area on the dip stick.