Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Do rotors have to be replaced with pads or can they be turned?

• Talk about changing your own brakes
ROM Banner

Membership Banner

Talk about changing your own brakes

Moderator: Moderators

#376944  by khobar
 December 17th, 2018, 7:39 pm
I'm about to replace the front pads on my '04 300m with ceramic pads and am wondering if I have to replace the rotors, too, or if I can have them turned. If I have to replaced, do I need to get anything special?
 #376946  by beespecial
 December 17th, 2018, 8:02 pm
As long as they are not turned below minimum thickness, then yes, you can have them turned. However, the thinner they are, the greater the possibility of warping and/or cracking depending on the quality of the steel.

Get the vented rotors specified for the 300M Special.
 #376950  by Steve From MA
 December 18th, 2018, 12:15 am
Cost to get rotors turned is usually at least half the price of a new set so usually doesn't make much financial sense. If you put new pads on old rotors without turning them you'll tear them up quickly.
 #376951  by hrmwrm
 December 18th, 2018, 5:08 am
wow. amazing the difference of opinions. so, i'll give mine. :D
as long as they are in good shape(rotors), and you had no shuddering or jerking meaning they are warped, then there is no reason to do anything but replace the pads and burnish them in if they feel like they aren't grabbing well enough.

i do this by doing 3 fast stops from 50-0 without fully stopping. in succession. no resting but acceleration time.
this will bed them in properly to the rotors.
 #376952  by FIREM
 December 18th, 2018, 7:20 am
hrmwrm wrote: December 18th, 2018, 5:08 am wow. amazing the difference of opinions. so, i'll give mine. :D
as long as they are in good shape(rotors), and you had no shuddering or jerking meaning they are warped, then there is no reason to do anything but replace the pads and burnish them in if they feel like they aren't grabbing well enough.

i do this by doing 3 fast stops from 50-0 without fully stopping. in succession. no resting but acceleration time.
this will bed them in properly to the rotors.
X2 on the reuse rather than turning rotors.
Cost to turn not worth it in my opinion. If not warped or scored I repad at least once with decent rotors. Note "Decent Rotors" for PHG not cheapo base rotors.
 #376954  by khobar
 December 18th, 2018, 1:47 pm
Wow - many thanks for the input!

I wasn't sure if the 300m rotors could be turned at all regardless of condition or if they were replaced with pad change as standard.

The front driver-side rotor has two scores in it. Not deep but there nonetheless.

I just got back from driving the car. There is no shudder, no vibration. Car comes to a stop smoothly and quietly - BUT - it feels like I have to push really hard on the pedal, like the pads aren't grabbing like they should. That's why I want to replace them. Since the front driver-side rotor has two little scores in it, figured I'd either turn them or replace them.

I do NOT have a Special.

Amazon says there are two different rotor sizes, 281.9mm and 297mm, but this seems to indicate w/o performance pkg and w/performance pkg. I read another thread (and the advice above) to go with the performance rotors - they are interchangeable, yes?

The pads I bought for the front are Wagner QuickStop ZD730C Ceramic Disc Pad Set.

Anyway, thanks again!
 #376955  by FIREM
 December 18th, 2018, 2:27 pm
Rotors are direct interchange. "Performance Package" are vented on outside for better cooling. Non are vented inside and tend to warp easily. Torqueing wheels when installing also minimizes warping of rotors.
Ceramic Pads do tend to take a little more pedal effort especially when cold. My red car FIREM had ceramic and tends to need a little more push than the Pro-Am that has Semi Metallic pads.
 #376957  by khobar
 December 18th, 2018, 7:02 pm
Thanks!

I don't currently have ceramic pads on the car - they're whatever came standard back in '04 (car has only 41k miles, and I'm the original owner).

Looks like I'll go with coated performance rotors. Not very expensive.
 #376958  by LUNAT1C
 December 18th, 2018, 7:26 pm
I always replace rotors with pads. Turning the rotors means having to remove them, take them somewhere to be turned, waiting, then taking them back, and that assumes you have another vehicle to use to transport them. I'd rather just save time and swap on a fresh rotor, and toss the old one at the recycling center. Plain ones with a good anti-corrosion coating are not terribly expensive, plus it also gets rid of any rust you might have. I could have taken the rear rotors on my Jeep to be turned and continued using them, but the amount of rust inside the hat was terrible. First time I had to adjust the parking brake to loosen it just to get the rotor off, so I was more than happy to swap on an upgrade e-coated rotor.

I also noticed the groaning while slowly reversing my Jeep has made since it was factory fresh went away with the upgrade rotors and ceramic pads. Not really sure why, but I'm not complaining.
 #376959  by LUNAT1C
 December 18th, 2018, 7:27 pm
khobar wrote: December 18th, 2018, 7:02 pm Thanks!

I don't currently have ceramic pads on the car - they're whatever came standard back in '04 (car has only 41k miles, and I'm the original owner).

Looks like I'll go with coated performance rotors. Not very expensive.
Very nice on the miles! Off topic, but out of curiosity, have you changed the timing belt yet? That's something we always remind people of when they have under 100k, with so many years of age. 7 years is the limit, though I've stretched it to 8 on two separate cars.