• Brake Squeal

• Talk about changing your own brakes
Ocean City 2019 Banner

Membership Banner

Talk about changing your own brakes

Moderator: Moderators

#380709  by EasyRider300M
 September 13th, 2019, 3:27 pm
I had my front rotors and pads replaced about 3 years and 4000 miles ago. My right front brake squeals on mild braking (metal to metal sound). The car stops fine and if I remove my hands from the steering wheel while braking, the car doesn't veer off to one side.

Does anyone know what the cause of this squealing could be? It's irritating but not a safety issue at least for now. I only drive about 1500 miles a year. Could the car sitting so long between drives contribute to this issue?
 #380711  by hrmwrm
 September 13th, 2019, 4:06 pm
my car sits sometimes a few weeks at a time. i occasionally get a squealing that goes away after a couple hard brake uses.
you'll have to check your actual pads to make sure they aren't on the sqealers for wear first.
but yes, lack of use can cause a squeal from light corrosion contaminating the pad a bit.
 #380712  by LUNAT1C
 September 13th, 2019, 4:36 pm
My Special usually sits for weeks at a time, and squeals all the way from the garage to the nearby intersection in my neighborhood. It always goes away. Just a symptom of cars not liking being left to sit, but I've had no reduction in braking performance, and the current set of rotors and pads have been on the car for the past 6 years and 20,000 miles.
 #380716  by In-trepid
 September 14th, 2019, 8:31 pm
In my opinion, this is more of an issue with ceramic pads than semi metallic pads. When my wife had a 98 Intrepid, we tried three different sets, all different brands of ceramic pads. No matter what we did, we couldn't get rid of the squealing. We finally put a set of semi metallic pads on and the squeal went away. I'm sure it was just luck. I've heard all kinds of reasons for the squeal from the pad composition to the quality of the iron in the rotors.
 #380717  by LUNAT1C
 September 15th, 2019, 4:10 pm
I’ve been using ceramic pads for about 15 years on several vehicles (Grand Prix, Special, Charger, Wrangler). Other than that minor squeal going down the driveway after a period of sitting, I’ve never had an issue with brake squeal. Now, Hawk pads I’ve heard are notorious for making noise. I’m not sure what material they are or why they do it and other brands do not.