Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Brake Pad Recommendation ?

• Talk about changing your own brakes
Membership Banner

Talk about changing your own brakes

Moderator: Moderators

#349330  by stumped
 September 1st, 2015, 6:26 pm
I currently have Bendix ceramic pads on my base 1999 300M. Front pads are Bendix #D730CT & got them from Advance Auto several years ago. It's time to replace them & Advance Auto said they no longer sell Bendix. The salesperson asked if I had 15" or 16" wheels. But of course I have 17". I gave him the Bendix # and he came up Wagner #MX730A & would have to order them. Problem is their web site states these are for 16" wheels.

I looked at the websites for all the usually auto parts stores & if they list any wheel size it's always 15" or 16". Someone listed 2 different ceramic pads, such as a standard & a heavy duty. And the Bendix website did not list #D730CT.

I searched the forum & some people said they used ceramic pads from Advance Auto or O'Reilly's, but I've never seen a part number mentioned. I don't want to end up ordering something, waiting, taking the brakes apart & then finding out what I have won't fit.

Does anyone recall what make & part number they used on a base 300M?
 #349360  by Sneke_Eyez
 September 2nd, 2015, 9:38 am
I always use Wagner Thermoquiet Ceramics on my cars:

http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-ThermoQuie ... hermoquiet

You can't buy them at the parts store in stock anymore, but they are available from amazon and I usually buy them there.

I recently tried the Advance Auto Wearever Platinum Ceramic Pads on my mom's 04 M and one of the outer clips failed in truly spectacular fashion, so I wouldn't use those again.

Also, don't get stuck on the idea of brake pads versus wheel size on there cars, every North American M used the same size brake rotor and the same size brake pad no matter the wheel size (no idea on Euro Ms).
Only the Intrepid and Concorde were available with smaller brakes (and smaller wheels), and only from 1998-2000.
 #349379  by stumped
 September 2nd, 2015, 1:08 pm
I did see the Bendix pads from Walmart but rather not have to wait in their merchandise pickup line which seems to take forever. But it is a possibility.

Yesterday I gave the Advance Auto person the Bendix # and he came up with these which are not ceramic.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/wagn ... 20609270-P

I entered the QC730C pads into the Advance Auto website search bar to get their price & it came back saying "This product doesn't fit any of your saved vehicles". What the heck...

I went to the Wagner website & it doesn't list any ceramic pads for the 300M and I did not see a search function to enter the item number.

It's been a long time since I put pads & rotors on the car so I wasn't sure about rotor size. But I recall if the car had the performance handling package that the rotors were allegedly different.

I noticed most of the front pads from the different sources seem to have the number "730" in the part number. Is that a coincidence or do brake pads use standardized numbers which refer to a specific size or design? Sort of like exhaust system part number that I've seen.
 #349396  by stumped
 September 2nd, 2015, 11:44 pm
I looked at my records & the Bendix ceramics have a little over 40K miles. I'm starting to hear what sounds like the brake pad wear sensor squeal. The original pads lasted over 80K miles which makes me wonder if it's really the pads I'm hearing.

Whenever the tires get rotated I look at the brakes since the wheels are already off the car. Maybe I'll get them rotated next week & check the brakes before I order pads.
 #349409  by JTROANOKE
 September 3rd, 2015, 11:25 am
Akebono ACT730. Never had an issue with them. Quiet and wear like iron. $59 bucks at Rock Auto. Advance charges $105 to special order them. Advances prices are thru the roof, except on their house brand (China) stuff. I use the Akebono ProACT on all my cars.
 #349413  by Sneke_Eyez
 September 3rd, 2015, 11:50 am
stumped wrote:I did see the Bendix pads from Walmart but rather not have to wait in their merchandise pickup line which seems to take forever. But it is a possibility.

Yesterday I gave the Advance Auto person the Bendix # and he came up with these which are not ceramic.
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/wagn ... 20609270-P

I entered the QC730C pads into the Advance Auto website search bar to get their price & it came back saying "This product doesn't fit any of your saved vehicles". What the heck...

I went to the Wagner website & it doesn't list any ceramic pads for the 300M and I did not see a search function to enter the item number.

It's been a long time since I put pads & rotors on the car so I wasn't sure about rotor size. But I recall if the car had the performance handling package that the rotors were allegedly different.

I noticed most of the front pads from the different sources seem to have the number "730" in the part number. Is that a coincidence or do brake pads use standardized numbers which refer to a specific size or design? Sort of like exhaust system part number that I've seen.
The linked pads on Amazon are the ones to order from Wagner. Part# QC730C. I've used them, as I said. They fit. I know it.

Now that I search Advance stores, it seems that some actually have the pads in stock.
The Advance site shows them as fitting my 2004 Special, 2001 Concorde, 2002 Intrepid ES, and even my 2001 Intrepid SE I no longer own.
However, they are far more expensive from Advance than they are from Amazon (almost double!).

The rotors on the PHP package were different, they are vented on the inside like the Special rotors. But the pads are the same.

No idea on part numbers, but it does look that way, doesn't it?
stumped wrote:I looked at my records & the Bendix ceramics have a little over 40K miles. I'm starting to hear what sounds like the brake pad wear sensor squeal. The original pads lasted over 80K miles which makes me wonder if it's really the pads I'm hearing.

Whenever the tires get rotated I look at the brakes since the wheels are already off the car. Maybe I'll get them rotated next week & check the brakes before I order pads.
If the pads are making lots of noise, check the rotors to make sure they aren't scored. If the rotors are scored, do pads and rotors at once or you're chew up your new pads.
 #349415  by Craig300
 September 3rd, 2015, 1:18 pm
Check out ATE pads and rotors, used them for the last 5 years, pads on front have lasted about 40k miles in mostly city driving. very quiet and no dust.
http://www.ate-na.com/www/ate_us_en/

be sure to heed the breakin procedures.
 #349439  by stumped
 September 3rd, 2015, 11:31 pm
One of the Advance Auto stores near me does stock the Wagner QC730C. However as mentioned above, Amazon is about half the price.

It sill puzzled me why websites do not list ceramic pads for my car. I do have them on the car so I know they work. Doing a bunch of searching ceramic pads show up in listings for 2001-2004 model years. Maybe those years the 300M did use ceramic pads therefore those are the only years listed by the aftermarket sources. I dunno. I still want to inspect my pads before I order new ones. Hopefully I'll get that done next week.
 #349446  by remi
 September 4th, 2015, 3:56 am
What do you guys think about Raybestos brake pads? I'm talking about their "progessional grade" products, not the cheap ones.
I was looking at these lately "Enhanced Hybrid Technology" semi metallic... I don't wanna use ceramics because they usually need to be hot to brake fine.
Rear pads EHT782H
Front pads EHT730H
 #349451  by JTROANOKE
 September 4th, 2015, 7:18 am
Akebonos I mentioned above have about 30k and about 2/3 life remaining. I had a horrible experience with the Wagner ThermoQuiets combined with the Advance Wearever rotors. Squealed to the point of being embarrassing. Got the pads and rotors warranteed, and same deal within a few months. The Thermoquiets formula just does not agree with the wearever rotors. Bought the better quality Raybestos rotors with Ecoat on the hubs and the Akebono pads. 30k later, no noise, no shudder and loads of life left. Will never buy cheap rotors again. I hear a lot of good things about the Thermoquiets, but don't pair them with cheap rotors. I have been running Akebonos on my wifes Toyota since new (OEM for Toyota) and no issues. Much longer life than the OEM formulation, not too bad on dust, and smooth and silent. Replaced originals on that car at 50k ish, just did them again at 165k. First time was a pad slap, replaced rotors this time.
 #350431  by stumped
 October 1st, 2015, 6:58 am
I looked at the pads when the tires were off while being rotated but really couldn't tell if a squealer sensor was touching a rotor.

I came across this thread where Bendix sent the poster warranty pads because there were no dealers where he lived. That's my situation also. I emailed them copies of my receipts & they are sending out front & rear pads.
http://www.300mclub.org/forums/viewtopi ... lit=Bendix

Free warranty pads are good, but I wish they would have lasted longer.
 #350696  by stumped
 October 8th, 2015, 10:39 pm
The squealing noise turned out to be the backing plate touching the rotor. I read about this but wonder what would make the backing plate change it's position? I don't see how it could get bent closer to the rotor because you'd probably have to "over bend" it in order make any difference. Perhaps the aftermarket rotors have warped just enough to touch the backing plate.

The brake pads look pretty good. The Chrysler manual says they should be replaced when "worn to a thickness of approximately 7.95mm (5/16 inch)". My pads are probably right about there. However the squealer sensor has a long way to go before it touches the rotor.

I tried to measure how much warning the sensors on the new pads would give & they probably would not touch the rotor until the pads are worn to about 1/16". And that's about how the sensors look on the pads that are on the car. That's quite a difference from what the manual says. Maybe the manufacturer of the ceramic pads (Bendix) figures that's enough of a warning because the pads last a long time & you'd still have plenty of time to get them replaced. Or the manual is being real conservative & Chrysler doesn't want customers to hear a brake squeal. Who knows.
 #382633  by sdugasjr
 March 7th, 2020, 12:39 am
Sneke_Eyez wrote: September 2nd, 2015, 9:38 am I always use Wagner Thermoquiet Ceramics on my cars:

You can't buy them at the parts store in stock anymore, but they are available from amazon and I usually buy them there.

I recently tried the Advance Auto Wearever Platinum Ceramic Pads on my mom's 04 M and one of the outer clips failed in truly spectacular fashion, so I wouldn't use those again.

Also, don't get stuck on the idea of brake pads versus wheel size on there cars, every North American M used the same size brake rotor and the same size brake pad no matter the wheel size (no idea on Euro Ms).
Only the Intrepid and Concorde were available with smaller brakes (and smaller wheels), and only from 1998-2000.
do you have a link for rear pads too?
 #382640  by Sneke_Eyez
 March 7th, 2020, 10:24 am
sdugasjr wrote: March 7th, 2020, 12:39 am
Sneke_Eyez wrote: September 2nd, 2015, 9:38 am I always use Wagner Thermoquiet Ceramics on my cars:

Also, don't get stuck on the idea of brake pads versus wheel size on these cars, every North American M used the same size brake rotor and the same size brake pad no matter the wheel size (no idea on Euro Ms).
do you have a link for rear pads too?
Sure, these are also the Wagner Thermoquiet: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001O ... UTF8&psc=1