• Replacing all brake lines.

• Talk about changing your own brakes
John Benjamin Memorial Virtual Car Show Banner

Carlisle Chrysler Nationals

Membership Banner

Talk about changing your own brakes

Moderator: Moderators

#347210  by tafi300M

cloud 9 wrote:Any reason why I couldn't bend the lines to the MC? Sure the flex line looks nice and makes it easier to work in that area... but if I have the tubing available, I'd rather save the money.
there is one crucial thing for the flex line. You see, while doing power steering lines, or a booster, you'll run into a dead end if there was no flex. Master cylinder has to be moved out of the way.

Edit: How did you dare to take all the line out? I wouldn't, knowing me. Do you have a clue what line goes where? :o :shock:
 #347211  by adu1982

I think at some point you loose the lack of confidence...... I used ziplock bolts & parts and take pics...... Now i even forget to take pics......or separate them...

Sucks though when you have to put it back a day later and you forgot what bolt goes where..... Or you forget something to put back until 15 min later......
I wonder somedays how i dont end up with extra bolts ....and nuts ...
 #347214  by cloud 9

tafi300M wrote: there is one crucial thing for the flex line. You see, while doing power steering lines, or a booster, you'll run into a dead end if there was no flex. Master cylinder has to be moved out of the way.

Edit: How did you dare to take all the line out? I wouldn't, knowing me. Do you have a clue what line goes where? :o :shock:
The booster is new, so I shouldn't have to do it again. And the NiCopp lines are very forgiving, so I would still be able to move the mc around a little.

About the lines... It's hard to mess them up. The abs block shows which port goes where. I have pics of where the lines have to run over the frame... So I should be good!
 #350241  by cloud 9

Well, finally getting back to working on the M after working on house stuff for the baby. One month left before she's here!

Is there a way to flush the HCU? I know a lot of debris had to go into the HCU when removing the lines. Thinking that a junkyard HCU could have the same issues... Not sure if they would spend the time to make sure it's clean.
 #350246  by paintballdude05

Are you talking about the ABS pump? If so, what I did was attach the two feed lines into the block, then push some fluid through to try and drive out any dirt that entered the 4 wheel line ports. Don't be afraid to wash down the ABS pump with brake cleaner to remove dirt prior installing the new lines.
 #350265  by cloud 9

paintballdude05 wrote:Are you talking about the ABS pump? If so, what I did was attach the two feed lines into the block, then push some fluid through to try and drive out any dirt that entered the 4 wheel line ports. Don't be afraid to wash down the ABS pump with brake cleaner to remove dirt prior installing the new lines.
Yes! The block the lines connected to. I was going to try that. Glad to know someone else did too. Thanks!
 #350303  by cloud 9

Update. The 2 front lines are bent. Turns out I had the wrong sized nuts. Picking up the correct ones in the AM. Ordered a bubble flaring tool from Amazon that was delivered as I was bending the tube. Took a few tries to get the hang of it, but I think I have it down now. It's not too hard.
 #350786  by cloud 9

Update. After 2 weeks. I'm almost done. All the lines are run and connected. New hoses attached. Only had to redo 2 of the M12 flares on the ABS block because they would not seal (I actually had to have a little extra tube sticking out of the tool to make it big enough) and fix a leaking caliper. I did make the upper lines from the MC to the ABS block, BUUUTTTTT again the M12 flare is leaking. So I ordered OEM and will have it tomorrow.

It was a very small leak, so I decided to test it out on my flat 40ft driveway. Its been so long since it had brakes, I don't remember how far the pedal is supposed to go, but it does stop! Must have went back and forth 20 times. I wanted to take it out on the road, but having the entire front off stopped me from doing so.

All of the bushing up front are bad. I have new lower control arms somewhere around here, or at my parents house, or at my inlaws house... haha. Will get new tie rod ends. Looking to do the tension strut bushings too. Might actually just finish the brakes and take it to get inspected to see what all I need.

Just some pics:

Definitely not OEM!

So dirty.
 #350789  by FIREM

Lines look pretty good :D It is not easy to bend and shape them that well without crimping them.
Bleed the system, then cycle the key a few times and rebleed the system. (That will cycle the ABS)
 #350969  by cloud 9

FIREM wrote:Lines look pretty good :D It is not easy to bend and shape them that well without crimping them.
Bleed the system, then cycle the key a few times and rebleed the system. (That will cycle the ABS)
Thanks! The base of your thumb is pretty good at bending tubing.

So I installed the new lines from the MC to the ABS. Before connecting the lines to the abs block, I filled the MC with fluid. When it started to come out of the lines, I connected them to the ABS block. Then I cycled the ABS a few times and bled all 4 lines. The M stops, but it feels like the pedal is traveling too far. About how far should the brake pedal travel? It's been so long, i don't remember what normal is!
 #373648  by cin993

The diagram in the Service Manual I have for brake line routing is not exactly like my hydraulic control unit.

Mine looks like this diagram...like "cloud 9" did. Can you confirm the brake lines to the HCU are routed as in the picture here:

RIGHT front, LEFT rear, RIGHT rear, LEFT front. And the two lines in the back are to the master cylinder. Thanks a lot
hcu.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 #383581  by M-Pressive

Very similar to what I bought.

Worked well and still solid after 3 years.
 #387850  by Joesnicecars

Building off this thread another year later, I’m looking into getting the present lines from inline tube, however it only shows compatible for an lhs or 300m. I’m trying to use it on my Intrepid. Seems like a huge time saver compared to setting up lines through the whole car.

Is the abs pump located in a different spot on these cars?
Is there any reason this kit wouldn’t work on an intrepid?
 #387852  by LUNAT1C

I have never needed to mess with the brake lines on either of our cars, but my assumption is there is no reason this would not work on an Intrepid with ABS. Wheelbase should be the same, and brake components should all be the same theoretically, though I recall some chatter about there being two different master cylinders (I think Ryan talked about it recently). I wouldn't think that would effect the brake lines between two ABS models, but stranger things have happened.
Joesnicecars liked this
 #387908  by Sneke_Eyez

Joesnicecars wrote: May 9th, 2021, 12:08 am Building off this thread another year later, I’m looking into getting the present lines from inline tube, however it only shows compatible for an lhs or 300m. I’m trying to use it on my Intrepid. Seems like a huge time saver compared to setting up lines through the whole car.

Is the abs pump located in a different spot on these cars?
Is there any reason this kit wouldn’t work on an intrepid?
No reason why the kit wouldn't work on an Intrepid.

The different master cylinders don't affect the lines (nor was there any indication I've ever found that the larger bore master came OEM on any LH car).