Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Transmission Cooler Leak?

Membership Banner

Moderator: Moderators

#385423  by mrnrod
 August 12th, 2020, 2:32 am
Hey guy's,

I recently replaced my Radiator and when I was opening up the box I realized the cooler fittings weren't tightened all the way. I tightened them up snug as they could go and there was still about half of the tread left out.

Is this Normal? I looked. Past it and thought they are as tight as they will get. After putting it all back together and running the car I see a little leak coming from the general are under the fittings. I let it linger a little longer than I should have and now its a bigger leak not real big just a drip still, but.

Thing is I'm not sure if it's because the extra threading not screwed in or if I should add some thread tape to tighten it up. What do you guys think? Should I cut the extra tread off the fittings and then use thread tape?

Thanks guys!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6010 using Tapatalk

#385427  by FIREM
 August 12th, 2020, 8:33 am
What was loose and what is leaking?
Cooler nuts to radiator tank ? That would leak coolant. There are seals internal where the cooler seats on the inside of the rad tank. The large nuts only hold it in place and do not seal. If you have a coolant leak, I would get a replacement radiator under warranty. Image
 #385429  by mrnrod
 August 12th, 2020, 1:00 pm
FIREM wrote:What was loose and what is leaking?
Cooler nuts to radiator tank ? That would leak coolant. There are seals internal where the cooler seats on the inside of the rad tank. The large nuts only hold it in place and do not seal. If you have a coolant leak, I would get a replacement radiator under warranty. Image
It's not the big nut itself that was loose it's the fitting itself where it screws into the same area. In this pic you can see some threads sticking out

It's not coolant leaking it is ATF+4 Image

#385430  by mrnrod
 August 12th, 2020, 1:03 pm
My replacement radiator looked like it had a tube when those fittings where unscrewed didn't look much like the inside of yours but I'm not sure

#385432  by FIREM
 August 12th, 2020, 3:10 pm
You can remove the fittings, use a pipe thread sealer,paste type, to seal the threads. Snug plus, NOT Super tight. Pipe is tapered thread so some will show even when tight. Do not use Teflon tape on brass pipe threads.