• D-Day Squadron

• This is the place for off-topic discussions
25th Anniversary LH Platform Celebration

Membership Banner

This is the place for off-topic discussions

Moderator: Moderators

#378985  by 00R/T
 May 13th, 2019, 6:32 am
Is anyone else here a history, military, or aviation buff?

Being all 3, I can’t be more excited. A group is assembling to bring around a dozen American C-47s to Europe to fly over Normandy on the 75th anniversary of D-Day. They’ve picked my middle-of-nowhere hometown to be their staging point before they head out over the Atlantic.

They’re going to be assembling and doing formation practice this week, so I’m going to try to get my parents’ house at least one night this week (they’re less than 2 miles directly off the end of runway). Next weekend they’re going to be departing in formation and going down to circle the Statue of Liberty. I’ll definitely be there for that.

http://ddaysquadron.org/
M-Pressive, dcsally97 liked this
 #378989  by dcsally97
 May 13th, 2019, 9:27 am
I am a fan of all three myself. This sounds very cool. We have a local museum (Tri-State Warbirds) and they have a sweet P-51 as well as others that they restore and fly. I also live about an hour and a half from Air Force museum in Dayton. I need to get back up there to see the Memphis Belle exhibit.
 #378990  by FIREM
 May 13th, 2019, 9:29 am
Wow way cool. Will try to catch them as they get near the Statue of Liberty
 #378991  by LUNAT1C
 May 13th, 2019, 9:42 am
I wouldn't call him a buff necessarily, but I know my dad enjoys watching documentaries and reading books about past wars. At least, the ones before Vietnam and Korea (he was in the air force during Vietnam).
 #378998  by 00R/T
 May 13th, 2019, 8:37 pm
They usually have an event once or twice a year where a few planes will visit for the weekend and you can go inside and check them out. They also do P-51 rides, which must be amazing. These things hold a more special place in my heart now because one of the last things I did with my grandfather before he passed was going up there and wheeling him around the tarmac to check them out. He recounted how his first time being near an airplane was when he loaded into one of these as a 17 year old kid going to war on the other side of the world. It really puts things into perspective.

That group usually brings a B-17 named Aluminum Overcast, which I think is about the greatest name ever. It was amazing when it would fly over my house, and I can’t imagine how it felt having hundreds of them rolling in at once loaded with ordnance. That was definitely not going to be a good day if you were on the ground!
 #379003  by Sneke_Eyez
 May 14th, 2019, 7:32 am
Very cool, Steve! Take pictures!