Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • what would you suggest in this situation

• This is the place for off-topic discussions
Membership Banner

This is the place for off-topic discussions

Moderator: Moderators

#379618  by EasyRider300M
 July 1st, 2019, 8:36 pm
I've got 2 young nephews stuck in Indianapolis when their 1999 Audi blew a timing belt and they don't want to have it repaired as it has too many other issues... I offered to pay their bus trip home but they want to consider buying a very used and cheap car to drive the rest of the way to Wisconsin and then back to their home to MA. They were heading to Wisconsin for a get together with some friends. I don't think they should be buying an old used car on the fly around 1300 miles from home.

What would you suggest in this situation? Anybody have a cheap reliable car for sale?
 #379619  by Mottman
 July 1st, 2019, 8:43 pm
RENTAL CAR !

Then take you'r time looking for a replacement when you are home.
 #379622  by EasyRider300M
 July 1st, 2019, 9:27 pm
yeh, I suggested the same thing....shop for a car when you get back home..then have it inspected by a local mechanic .
 #379624  by sparky99
 July 2nd, 2019, 6:30 am
I do have a very reliable cheap car for sale.... I’m in Fort Wayne. I don’t know what they’re looking to spend but I’m asking 2450 for our 2001 Honda Accord. It’s not perfect but it’s a good one.
 #379626  by LUNAT1C
 July 2nd, 2019, 10:13 am
Given how close they are to Robert, I would either buy that Accord from him with the knowledge that he kept up on its needs so his wife and kids had reliable transport, OR rent the cheapest car available at Indy airport and go through the proper motions of replacing the Audi back in MA, or spend a few days in WI searching for that replacement car.

It's certainly a thought that would cross my mind, spend $1000-1500 on an older Honda that seems to check out and drives well on the interstate, then dump when I get home... probably something I would have done 10 years ago with no deadline to be somewhere. Not sure how long the trip is, maybe they rent a car for a few days and spend a few days in WI looking for a good used car. Not to knock Indy or anything, but I would expect the super cheap "running" cars to be in some sketchy areas, sold by sketchy people, that would end up with sketchy results. Then again I could say the same about cheap cars around Detroit and I still occasionally see "Gambler 500" cars prowling the streets months after being put through the wringer...

But with the "Waikel factor" in play, I'd suggest that route, even if they end up selling the car when they get home for close to what they paid in order to get something much newer if desired.
 #379627  by adu1982
 July 2nd, 2019, 10:22 am
I second that, buy from Robert yes, anybody else....why risk it.....it might die 100miles later. Either rental or buy from Robert (or buy a newer one at a delaer there). We did that when our Jetta broke on vacation in Ohio , this was way way back in 2001. And my dad bought a new car with 38 miles on it.
If either of them are very very mechanicaly inclined than "MAYBE" they "COuLD" look at a used 1500$ car , but even then....it's risky.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

#379630  by LUNAT1C
 July 2nd, 2019, 10:33 am
adu1982 wrote: July 2nd, 2019, 10:22 am I second that, buy from Robert yes, anybody else....why risk it.....it might die 100miles later. Either rental or buy from Robert (or buy a newer one at a delaer there). We did that when our Jetta broke on vacation in Ohio , this was way way back in 2001. And my dad bought a new car with 38 miles on it.
If either of them are very very mechanicaly inclined than "MAYBE" they "COuLD" look at a used 1500$ car , but even then....it's risky.

That's another crucial factor. If they are NOT mechanically inclined and don't know a wrench from a lamp shade... DO NOT buy an unknown car for a cross country trip. Buy Roberts known-good Accord, or rent, or take a bus.
 #379655  by Sneke_Eyez
 July 3rd, 2019, 11:01 am
Agreed with all points here - if they are not mechanically inclined they should either buy Robert's Accord or rent a car.

Now, I am mechanically inclined, so I would be on craigslist/Facebook Marketplace looking for the coolest thing for the cheapest price I could drive the rest of the trip, then sell or fix up when I'm in MA.

Sounds like the perfect adventure to me, but would be tough for anyone without a basic ability to fix up a few issues on a car.
 #379656  by EasyRider300M
 July 3rd, 2019, 11:26 am
they’re looking in the 1000-1500 range...
 #379658  by Sneke_Eyez
 July 3rd, 2019, 1:31 pm
Unfortunately that doesn't buy a whole lot these days.

Might need to crank that up into the $2,000-$2,500 range to get something decent.

Or just determine costs for bus tickets/rental cars and go that route if it is cheaper.
 #379674  by EasyRider300M
 July 4th, 2019, 4:36 pm
Well after camping out in a tent for 3 days in Indiana, they decided to buy a 1998 Toyota Camry with 160k miles from a dealership. The timing belt was changed recently and car was put in good order by the dealer. They got it checked out by a local mechanic. $2500 later, they got back on the road to Wisconsin. In a week they make the long trip back to home in MA. It's been a learning experience for my 20 and 21 year old nephews to say the least.
 #379688  by adu1982
 July 6th, 2019, 12:17 am
If there is one thing, those year Camry cars were actually good. Same engine (if v6) as the avalons. Sold our 95 Avalon with 275 miles on it.