Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • Time for an upgrade...

• This is the place for off-topic discussions
Membership Banner

This is the place for off-topic discussions

Moderator: Moderators

#383089  by sparky99
 March 26th, 2020, 8:01 pm
I guess i have to get a new laptop... The old girl (one i'm on now) just isn't cutting it lately. Its slow, and needs a little help. Also with school being online only right now, It doesn't have enough space to run the programming needed for school/lab work.
It still works, so its getting moved into the shop for use out there.

Looks like i'm getting a used Levono Laptop. Its used, but in very good condition. I have already ordered some memory for it and a solid state hard drive (500gig).

Once its all here, i'll take it into work for the memory expansion and hard drive "clone" by our IT "professionals".
I'm excited but not about spending money on a computer rather than something cool like car parts.... lol.

Oh, Well!
 #383090  by First Lady
 March 26th, 2020, 9:01 pm
I fee your pain Robert! I had been using a really nice Mac that I had received when I worked at BU. When I left, I was told to take it. It was great but after soooo much use, the screen had started to go. When I opened it, the screen would go in and out and had to be just so to see anything. I didn’t like it but I found a decent deal on an hp. Will take some getting use to but I hear ya on not wanting to spend money on a computer!!!
 #383091  by sparky99
 March 26th, 2020, 9:32 pm
First Lady wrote: March 26th, 2020, 9:01 pm I fee your pain Robert! I had been using a really nice Mac that I had received when I worked at BU. When I left, I was told to take it. It was great but after soooo much use, the screen had started to go. When I opened it, the screen would go in and out and had to be just so to see anything. I didn’t like it but I found a decent deal on an hp. Will take some getting use to but I hear ya on not wanting to spend money on a computer!!!

the deal on the computer is too good to pass up. I am in for the hard drive and memory, but at 200 bucks, it beats the heck out of 800 bucks for a new laptop.
First Lady liked this
 #383095  by KxWarrior
 March 26th, 2020, 10:57 pm
I’m afraid the next time I update my gaming rig...I have sunk entirely too much money into it. But I haven’t upgraded in almost 5 years so... :mrgreen:
 #383102  by LUNAT1C
 March 27th, 2020, 11:15 am
My laptop and desktop are both on borrowed time. Luckily I don't really use them much (posting this from my Lenovo work laptop right now) so the wear and tear has been minimal, but I've had to upgrade them both a few times.

My desktop was built in 2011 with mid-range 2010 parts. It's fine, with specs that are considered minimum today, but I missed the free Win10 upgrade boat on that one and the video card ports are excruciatingly outdated on it and my monitors, so photo and video editing isn't optimal. But, everything works flawlessly (except the top exhaust fan... makes noise and half the LEDs are out... I have a spare from microcenter in stock). I've already priced out replacing almost everything with future-proof specs and cried at the pricetag...

My laptop is a Samsung Series 7 Chronos from 2012. 2016 I swapped out the hard drive with a SSD and declined to reinstall any Samsung software... instant speed boost! It's perfectly fine and doesn't NEED to be replaced, but it's a bulky widescreen 17" laptop that feels heavy FAST. It stays home now and I "replaced" it with my 2018 iPad Pro 12.9" paired with a Brydge keyboard. I only dig out the Samsung when I'm doing something that genuinely needs a full desktop OS, which has happened a few times with all the paperwork we've had to look at and print and sign for buying our house. Apples latest endeavors to boost productivity with iPadOS have helps tremendously, but I still find myself side-eyeing new laptops like the XPS 13, Surface Laptop 3, and even the MacBook Pro for my photo and video editing... and crying at the price tag. I already spent too d*** much on my iPad and keyboard...
 #383104  by hrmwrm
 March 27th, 2020, 2:22 pm
my 11yr od desktop was finally giving me some troubles.
so i actually got out my older stored one and put a linux distro on it, and put the graphics card from my failing desktop in it, and now it works pretty good with a ssd drive in it.
just waiting for some more memory to arrive. bit choppy on occasion with only 2gb. we'll get 4 soon.
if that doesn't quite do the trick, i read am2+ and am3 sockets are the same, just am2 can only only use ddr2, and am3 ddr3.
i'll take the 6 core processor out of the failing desktop and put it in the older desktop.
have to get some thermal paste to test it out first.
i do nothing special requiring much more [power than that.
surfing, youtube, watching videos.
tried a couple different distros, and am presently on ubuntu budgie.
mint was a nice windows alternative.
fortunately some parts are interchangeable between the 2 machines.
memory being one that isn't.
if i get 6 more years out of it, then it too will have a decade of use like my failing desktop.
and no browsing virus worries on linux. :D
 #383202  by sparky99
 March 30th, 2020, 9:05 pm
Well, I'm typing on the new computer!!!! Its pretty nice for a used computer.
The solid state hard drive and add on memory have not showed up yet. But, hopefully they do soon!

I did get the office 365 suite downloaded tonight.
I am getting excited.
First Lady liked this
 #383203  by hrmwrm
 March 30th, 2020, 9:20 pm
good to hear.
win 10?
 #383211  by Sneke_Eyez
 March 31st, 2020, 9:32 am
Nice, Robert! Congrats.
I've been running Lenovo X220 Laptops since I started law school in 2011.
My first one was regularly thrown in my backpack and brought back and forth to law school and eventually experienced motherboard issues.
Rather than reinvent the wheel, I bought another X220 on Ebay, which then became Ashley's when she needed a new laptop for her Master's program.
I then found another X220 that the guy had put an SSD into and picked that up for cheap and have been using it since.
I've pondered replacing it several times, but it works ok and I don't feel like paying for another one right now what with buying a house in 2 months.

Since I am stuck working at home, I have cobbled together my old Win7 work desktop that we replaced with a new Windows 10 machine paired with a 21'' Dell monitor rather than try to work from home on my tiny X220 screen.
It still isn't same as working on the 27'' monitor I use at work, though.
 #383215  by hrmwrm
 March 31st, 2020, 2:55 pm
that's why i like my desktop, is my high resolution 27" screen.
 #383217  by adu1982
 March 31st, 2020, 4:38 pm
I havent used anything but my touch latop lately. Wife cleaned out the office so the desktop I built in.....(can't even remember when) it's in a box with a whole bunch of PC parts..... It will probably end up in the attic k with all the other relics. The only other PC's still hooked up, but which I haven't used in years, are the htpc lenove behind the TV , on the wall, and living HTPC I had set up way before the small Lenovo that's now in the garage.....I hooked it up to the TV I put in the garage , but only turned it on to see if it still works.....

Laptop if I do need to do bills, or my phone. Wife has 2 tablets but I haven't really touched those.....

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

#383229  by sparky99
 March 31st, 2020, 9:48 pm
hrmwrm wrote: March 30th, 2020, 9:20 pm good to hear.
win 10?
yep!
 #383230  by sparky99
 March 31st, 2020, 9:51 pm
new hard drive and memory will be here before 10:30 tomorrow.
it shipped from Texas at 4pm today.

I'll get the hard drive cloned to the new one and the memory installed at work. sometime between tomorrow and friday.
 #383231  by hrmwrm
 April 1st, 2020, 1:25 am
good. awaiting my memory too.
and for fun i looked up a processor, and found the highest compatible one for $7 shipped, and thought why not?
it's only a little faster, but will help.
to try any others would mean a bios flash.
from phenom 2 4600+x2 to a 5000+
ancient dual core.
seem to have some time to play with it though. :D
can't get over 1080 res though.
monitor is capable of higher.
 #383250  by sparky99
 April 1st, 2020, 7:30 pm
Received the RAM and the Hard Drive in the mail this morning. Since I wasn't exactly sure when it would get here, I left the computer at home. The parts came in at about 9:30 this morning.
Stephanie brought the computer and all the new stuff to me at work (other end of town) and dropped it off. I gave it to my IT buddy and about an hour later he had replaced the RAM and cloned and installed the new Hard Drive.

What an awesome thing!
I know enough about computers to get myself into trouble, thats about it.

I know how to work on cars, I prefer to let the professionals handle the computer stuff.
Now, I could have put the new stuff in, but have no clue how to "clone" a hard drive. I'd rather not mess it up. Its worth the 20 dollar gift card i bought to give him. (he refused cash)

anyways, the computer is running good, I cannot complain. It seems faster and it works... so whats to be upset about? Nothing!

I may look into upgrading the processor at some point, its not really needed though. We will see.

I have car parts i'd rather buy!!!
First Lady, Sneke_Eyez liked this