Chrysler 300M Enthusiasts Club
  • LUNAT1C’s new(ish) asylum! (First home purchase)

• This is the place for off-topic discussions
Carlisle Chrysler Nationals

Membership Banner

This is the place for off-topic discussions

Moderator: Moderators

#383287  by LUNAT1C
 April 3rd, 2020, 11:35 pm
Those of you who are friends with myself and Nick (legenbas) on Facebook likely have already seen it, but we’ve reached another major life milestone today.

In these uncertain times, finding little glimmers of hope has turned out to be akin to hunting for that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. This may not be the same, but I’m certainly happy to share some good news.

Today, April 3rd, 2020, after leasing homes in the Detroit area for 6 years, we broke some pens signing our names over and over and over and over and over and *twitch* and officially joined the ranks of homeowners! We won’t be living in the home until the end of May, when our current lease in Berkley runs out, which will give us time to catch up on the maintenance that was “forgotten” or filed under “that’ll do” for years, and do some minor renovations in prep for occupation for the foreseeable future!
E013FB03-6DE8-448C-8F75-1C3368A5C56E.jpeg
B872F9C1-8EAE-41AB-8170-ED33E4DC3D00.jpeg
F00AEE15-B9D8-4442-B51F-86CB15D70093.jpeg
We’ve got a “living list” of the items the house needs going now, and we’re diving in (well, belly flopping) to start getting things done before that refusal to do maintenance by the previous owners becomes a problem. Crossing off as many as we can as fast as we can so we can move in.

Maintenance catch-up:
1. Clean all HVAC ducts
2. Replace front door and garage person-door handles deadbolts and hardware with “smart key” hardware, and upgrade to a modern finish
3. Clean up yard from last fall’s production of leaves and sticks
4. Re-sand the backyard paver patio
5. Change out bright bluish tinge LED front lights with smart bulbs
6. Clean gas fireplace chimney
7. Replace original and deadly 27 year old furnace
8. Repaint kitchen and bedrooms
9. Patch wall damage near garage/laundry
10. Replace bad outlets and powder room GFI
11. Deep clean the carpets we’re keeping (for now)
12. Seal crack and fill gouges in garage concrete floor
13. Seal expansion gaps in driveway
14. Clean gutters and remove leaves from roof that have been there since last Fall
15. Replace cabinet floor below sink (big holes...)
16. Tighten leaky pipes in the basement
17. Replace garage insulation in a few panels
18. Caulk windows
19. And on and on and on...

Mods to come!
1. Vehicle door “dress-up”
2. Vehicle door insulation
3. Add garage heating system (figuring out if I want to pull gas or just 220 from the adjacent laundry room, or add a new 220 lines)
4. Drywall and paint garage
5. Add “GarageTrac” floor system
6. Build a “game room” and workshop in the basement for various home and car projects
7. Rip out nasty master carpet in favor of wood
8. Update exterior lighting fixtures
9. Add privacy shrubs around rear patio
10. And so on...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
beespecial, monte4 liked this
 #383288  by StealthM
 April 3rd, 2020, 11:53 pm
Congratulations Robert and Nick. Its so nice to have a place to truly call your own. The work can be tough and aggravating at times but becomes well worth it when all is said and done.
LUNAT1C liked this
 #383290  by beespecial
 April 4th, 2020, 6:48 am
Congratulations Robert and Nick! Welcome to homeownership.
Have the cramps in your hands from signing your name so many times gone away yet? :lol:

One other thing to maybe add to your list is to clean out the clothes dryer vent.
If the previous owners were lax on some other even more important maintenance, they probably skipped this altogether.

It looks like a real nice house. Now make it your home.
LUNAT1C liked this
 #383291  by adu1982
 April 4th, 2020, 7:11 am
Congrats Rob & Nick......the list will never end. I, just never made a list. I do have the wife that keeps reminding me , BUT its just nice to have a place to call home. The house looks nice....

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

LUNAT1C liked this
 #383293  by dcsally97
 April 4th, 2020, 8:29 am
Congrats guys! Very happy for you. Glad to hear that you have already put your personal touches on the house. Can't wait to see pictures of a full driveway in the near future. Do I see a club house warming party in the future??
LUNAT1C liked this
 #383294  by First Lady
 April 4th, 2020, 10:08 am
Congratulations!!! I'm trilled for you guys!!!!

I have no doubt you'll make it your own and keep great care of it going forward!!

Welcome home!!!!!
LUNAT1C liked this
 #383295  by LUNAT1C
 April 4th, 2020, 10:12 am
First "mod", installed after the final walkthrough, before heading to the closing.
IMG_20200404_105500.jpg
Second "mod", to dress up the boring builders basic door.
IMG_20200404_105511.jpg
Furnace replacement in progress. Crapcast will be here this afternoon to get the net going, then I can install smart bulbs and my video doorbell to keep security while we're not yet living here.

And... Homeownership has wasted no time. Found a cracked double pane window in the kitchen that wasn't cracked yesterday. Go figure. Guess we're looking at replacing the windows sooner than I was planning to. Several of them have lost their seal and have condensation.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 #383296  by LUNAT1C
 April 4th, 2020, 10:16 am
beespecial wrote: April 4th, 2020, 6:48 am Congratulations Robert and Nick! Welcome to homeownership.
Have the cramps in your hands from signing your name so many times gone away yet? :lol:

One other thing to maybe add to your list is to clean out the clothes dryer vent.
If the previous owners were lax on some other even more important maintenance, they probably skipped this altogether.

It looks like a real nice house. Now make it your home.
Nick will do that at some point before we move in. We pulled a wad from the outside vent already. They wanted $100 to do it... Need to save some of that money as the expensive stuff starts blasting Adele's "Hello" at us. :lol:
 #383322  by LUNAT1C
 April 5th, 2020, 11:42 pm
New furnace in, several incandescent light bulbs replaced with LED, gig-speed internet with WiFi-6 router set up, WiFi bulbs and one WiFi outlet set up to help make it look like someone’s home, Rug Doctor made the “rounds” on both floors (except master, that’s getting thrown out).

Tomorrow the chimney is cleaned. Then we’ll turn our attention to sealing and cleaning up the outside and getting a tree service in. Our neighbor here in Berkley runs a tree trimming/landscaping business, so I plan on hiring him for it. If for nothing else than because I know he’ll do good work for us, and supporting small businesses in this hard time for them.

Also watching YouTube videos on installing vinyl plank flooring myself. Because of the times we’re in, a lot of flooring companies are shuttered. I’m hoping the curve turns soon, so we can hiring movers in late May. Our one friend that I would likely ask to help us move needs to quarantine outside of work, as he’s a nurse at the busiest ER in Michigan... which is 3rd in the nation for COVID cases. It makes me seriously try to bundle our trips to various stores for the supplies we need for this house, and avoid being “out and about” if I can help it.
beespecial liked this
 #383324  by First Lady
 April 6th, 2020, 10:56 am
Wow, you've already made such great progress!!! Way to go!!!

Can't wait to see more pictures!!!

Thanks for sharing your journey with us all - I'm as excited as if it were mine!!!
 #383350  by LUNAT1C
 April 7th, 2020, 12:30 am
First Lady wrote: April 6th, 2020, 10:56 am Wow, you've already made such great progress!!! Way to go!!!

Can't wait to see more pictures!!!

Thanks for sharing your journey with us all - I'm as excited as if it were mine!!!
I think once a few of the windows are sealed and the trees are trimmed, the outside will be mostly caught up and we can focus on inside. May be looking at paint colors soon for the kitchen, bedrooms, and mud room/hall. Outside will still need several saw-cut trim boards replaced, but that can be done after we move in. We may be looking at paint colors soon... we took a quick look at flooring today while returning the rug doctor and picking up gutter extensions, paver sand, and landscaping stones to put around the AC condenser.

Today saw those extensions get installed, and the happy discovery that the gutters do indeed have gutter guards installed. One less thing to clean and install! We also discussed how to handle storing the cars. Our HOA does not permit any kind of shed or outbuilding, so we need to store the lawnmower, trash bin, and recycle bin in the garage. They’re not small bins... they’re the big heffers that the trucks use arms to pick up and dump like a dumpster. The plan for now is to park the black car as far back as it can, overhanging the 3-ft ledge in the back, so the cans can be in front of it. Might be reconsidering keeping it. Who knows at this point.
First Lady liked this
 #383356  by Sneke_Eyez
 April 7th, 2020, 10:54 am
Huge Congratulations, Robert and Nick!
You guys have certainly jumped right in to home ownership!

As I've mentioned elsewhere, Ashley and I close on our new home in May!
I guess it is a good year for home buying for Club Members!
LUNAT1C, EasyRider300M liked this
 #383357  by LUNAT1C
 April 7th, 2020, 1:36 pm
Can't wait to see your own posts about your new home, Ryan! I know you guys have been hunting for a long time, and it's a long time coming!

For all this activity I took off Friday and Monday so I could focus on the house. Today I'm "back to work", working from home (from our current rental home in Berkley). What's real nice is the new house has a Ring video doorbell. Last black friday I bought a Nest video doorbell, as I knew I wanted to get a Nest thermostat and thought that would be better to keep the same ecosystem. Well, to install the Ring they needed to chop away some of the door trim. To install the Nest doorbell I need to either replace all the front door trim, or live with a huge chunk of it missing due to the larger footprint of the Ring. For now the Ring is staying, not sure what I'll do with the Nest as it's too late to return it. The nice thing about having it is I can watch the front of the house while I'm not home. Last night Nick took some things to the house, and went there to turn off the fan on the new furnace. The Ring alerted me when he got to the front door.
 #383368  by First Lady
 April 7th, 2020, 8:04 pm
Interesting to hear your take on the video doorbells!

We have a nest, and love it! It's make a huge difference in regulating the temperature, keeping us comfortable, and saving money.

We made the attempt to stay within one 'family' of products but have not been too successful. We have a handful of Amazon devices in the house and the Nest. Would be interested in a video doorbell once in a house for sure.

Other random thoughts - have you heard of furbo? It's a pet camera/treat dispenser/bark notification thing that I think is super cool and have considered buying many a time. With Mookie being crate trained, however, it doesn't make a ton of sense except I'd love to check in on him and know if he barks at the mail/package delivery when we're not here. Your fur babies might enjoy it and you might be able to use it as they settle into the new home.
 #383388  by LUNAT1C
 April 8th, 2020, 10:08 am
First Lady wrote: April 7th, 2020, 8:04 pm Interesting to hear your take on the video doorbells!

We have a nest, and love it! It's make a huge difference in regulating the temperature, keeping us comfortable, and saving money.

We made the attempt to stay within one 'family' of products but have not been too successful. We have a handful of Amazon devices in the house and the Nest. Would be interested in a video doorbell once in a house for sure.

Other random thoughts - have you heard of furbo? It's a pet camera/treat dispenser/bark notification thing that I think is super cool and have considered buying many a time. With Mookie being crate trained, however, it doesn't make a ton of sense except I'd love to check in on him and know if he barks at the mail/package delivery when we're not here. Your fur babies might enjoy it and you might be able to use it as they settle into the new home.
Technically the furnace guys installed a new Emerson thermostat, which is fine for now, but I still plan on getting the nest. We left the fan on and went back to Berkley, to help the carpets dry. Then his dad said leaving it on all night wouldn't be a good idea, so Nick had to drive the 30 minutes back to Waterford to turn it back to Auto, and bring some stuff from the basement (might as well make the trip worth it). It would have been nice to just say, "Hey Google, set fan to auto" and be done with it. :lol:

Right now we have a few Google Assistant smart speakers (Home Mini that came with my Pixel 2 XL, Home Hub, Lenovo Smart Clock), plus a few WeMo smart plugs, a TP-Link outdoor outlet for the holiday lights, and 6 total Feit Electric WiFi bulbs, plus the Ring now. Everything except the Ring (which I think is an Amazon product now? I unplugged our Echo Dot) works through my Google Home app, but I've found that programming automatic routines still needs the various manufacturer apps. Bit annoying on that end, but so nice to be able to say, "Hey Google, turn off everything, Goodnight", it turns off everything and begins playing soothing sounds from the smart clock to help me sleep.