• What did you do to your car today?

• General Discussions about the 300M
25th Anniversary LH Platform Celebration

Membership Banner

General Discussions about the 300M

Moderator: Moderators

#379154  by Null
 May 31st, 2019, 11:36 am
The one in my car that I had sewed the leather onto years ago is starting to show its age. Can't wait to install it
 #379214  by dcsally97
 June 4th, 2019, 6:15 pm
What did I do Sunday? Well, Tim (oldest son) and I went to our village/town annual car show. I spent hours cleaning the car Saturday and it turned out pretty good. Unfortunately, I forgot to take more pictures, lol. Neither of us won anything, but it was more for the experience for us and enjoying the day outside. He will soon be leaving the nest and attending school at the University of Northwestern Ohio, or UNOH (pronounced uno) for short. He is excited, we are happy for him, but selfishly sad that he is leaving. He will be there for 34 months, but able to come back on weekends if he wants. He will take 1 subject course every 6 weeks Monday-Thursday. I think that is a pretty cool way to learn! No need to try and balance classwork from 3 or 4 different classes at once. Also, a plus is that its only 3 hours away in Lima.

beespecial, Sneke_Eyez, InfernoRedM and 1 others liked this
 #379267  by Sneke_Eyez
 June 10th, 2019, 11:19 am
Thursday night I replaced the outer tie rod end on the passenger side of my Special that had stretched threads, completing a roughly 2 month long suspension project (delayed by too many other things to do).
Friday Scott and Ashley were kind enough to deliver the car to get aligned and Friday night I finally really drove it - all the way "to the Cape" and the new suspension makes the car a dream to drive.

Next projects are figure out the stuck bolt and replace the final lateral link, replace an EVAP line on the gas tank that got messed up while working on the lateral links, replace the gas tank straps, and figure out what I'm doing about the rust popping through the rear quarters.
Not sure I expect to have that rust work done before Carlisle - not even sure I want to attempt to get it done before Carlisle.

Today I finally get to drive my Intrepid!
 #379268  by LUNAT1C
 June 10th, 2019, 11:38 am
Wasn't as eventful a weekend as I'd hoped (made a long list of things to do by Carlisle on Friday after leaving a volunteering event with Honda, my customer), but I did make progress and had fun.

Took Luna to the 30th annual CEMA charity car show. Did not win any of the judge awards, but I noticed quite a bit more attention on her than I have at previous showings. I'd even heard second hand that someone who worked at Chrysler at the time of the Special concept car was raving about how big a deal that concept car was to Chrysler at the time. She showed well.

Back at home, I pulled the new gas tank straps out of the garage and cleaned and painted them. I used truck bed liner paint from Home Depot. Currently I'm letting them cure a few days before I put them on. Two sets done, as both cars need them. Currently the car is reading a DTE of "0" and had been for about 10 miles, so the tank should be pretty light! On that note, does anyone know if the bolts for the straps are "impact-able"? I have a shiny new Craftsman 20V impact gun that has made undo-ing lug nuts and made the rebuild of my Jeep's front driveshaft a breeze. I know a few fasteners back there are NOT impact items. No interest in creating more work for myself.

I then got the RMA for one of the of mods from TRS that isn't going to work, and ordered a different design from eBay. Should receive it end of the week, then the car goes back on stands next weekend for the straps and new mod. I also ordered a relay center and received new switches, so I'll be building that relay center and a switch bank to operate it. It will have 2-3 circuits ready to go for Carlisle and expandable to two more if I so choose. While at the show, I spent some time inspecting the engine bay to figure out where to install in. Just need to figure out making a mounting bracket near the air filter for it.

Otherwise my weekend was spent working on the Renegade. It's had an issue with grinding in the brakes and tire noise, and the dealer in Troy had damaged the rocket trim mounting brackets on the lift. So we got the wheels off, cleaned and Iron decon'd all four on the inside and outside, 4-tire rotation, and spray painted the suspension to keep rust at bay. Bent back the brackets so the rockets are straight again, and have sworn never to come near that dealer again. Consistently bad sales experience and bad service! If you're ever in need of service in Metro Detroit, avoid Suburban CJDR in the Troy Motor Mall! Szott CJ in White Lake is worth the drive for me, as they always respect my Jeep and my Special. They love my Special, in fact.

Hopefully that's all the Renegade needs. It may be registered soon for Carlisle, as Nick plans on going to his parent's house a few days early and will need to drive his Jeep, so it will likely be what takes him to New Cumberland as well. For anyone wondering, taking his Special to his parents' house is a very bad idea, as it will need to sit outside for a week or more either under sap-dropping pine trees or out in the street where his first car was totaled by a distracted teenager.
 #379285  by M-Pressive
 June 11th, 2019, 1:10 pm
Noticed some oil drops on the driveway last week.

Went to investigate and it was coming from the oil drain plug. I have been fighting the plug since I bought the black car. It was larger then OEM so it was stripped at one point and had started down that path again and was no longer snug and I could not get it to tighten.

I bought a Fumoto valve and high-temp RTVd it into the drain hole. All working great now!
Null liked this
 #379286  by Sneke_Eyez
 June 11th, 2019, 4:12 pm
Last night picked up the Intrepid after it had been marooned at the paint shop for 2 months. Feels nice to have my baby back and be back in control!

The Carlisle blitz on the car is on - though it is much shorter than the last few years.
I will not be still assembling it as we're leaving for the show - I'm sure all who are coming down with us this year are grateful for that fact.
 #379311  by adu1982
 June 12th, 2019, 5:11 pm
Dunno how I managed in Florida's super hot weather but got a nasty cold over the past few days so not much done car wise. Even more , passed it on to the wife.

Both the special and the Buick are sidelined and in disarray. Did work a bit more on a "mod" I'm doing for a fellow lh owner.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

#379316  by LUNAT1C
 June 12th, 2019, 7:44 pm
Sigh... I guess when it rains, it pours. I got an RMA started to return a mod I bought last year because it doesn’t have an extra flange for custom mounting, like the advertising pictures show. I bought a different one from another company that has a video showing exactly the custom mounting I need. It arrived today and.... is the same as what I already am returning. I have an email out to the company asking what the deal is, and what the part number is for the flanged version that I need. If that version is totally gone, I’ll return the new one and try to make the other one work...

Nothing is ever simple...
 #379323  by KxWarrior
 June 13th, 2019, 3:43 pm
Buffed out a couple scratches and swirl marks Sarah's car inherited over the years. Think I've done more for her car then I have my own. Think next week I'll clean my interior before I leave to camp. Busy busy these last couple weeks
 #379348  by LUNAT1C
 June 15th, 2019, 7:24 pm
Got the rear end up on the air and rolled around under the car today to replace the fuel tank straps. I wouldn’t say I was in immediate danger, but they were ready for replacement. Went from scaley rusty things, to fresh and new bedlined straps. Black car needs them as well, but I need to spend a couple months driving it around on temp registration to run the tank down first.

Also did some AC diag... looking a lot like the pressure has fallen enough for the compressor not to turn on, indicating extremely low refrigerant. Since I recharged it last summer, that indicates a bad leak somewhere. Snazzy yellow glasses and UV light from HF revealed no horrors under the hood. Tomorrow I’ll pull the glove box (closeout panel already removed) and pop out the EVAP temperature probe to see what mess there is in there. I get a chemical smell in the cabin,s so I’m certain that’s it. Plan is to recharge the system for Carlisle, then order and replace the EVAP, heater core, accumulator, expansion valve later in the summer. No time before Carlisle to pull the dash... not looking forward to that.
27A9F2DA-40EE-4390-B5DD-35309D31AB68.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
beespecial liked this