Membership Banner

General Discussions about the 300M

Moderator: Moderators

#379777  by dcsally97
 July 13th, 2019, 12:58 pm
How many USB ports does a vehicle need? Lol
 #379783  by adu1982
 July 13th, 2019, 5:45 pm
Doug when you are my wife many. On the last long trip I received complaints....I guess it is my fault as I bought all her stuff (small tablet, large 12.2 tablet, nook, headphones, watch......)
I usually use 2 (headphones and phone)....3 if you consider the firestick (in the special, but that's hidden away).

Now it does seem too many.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

#379788  by dcsally97
 July 13th, 2019, 7:15 pm
I guess I'm a techie but not that attached. Happy wife, happy life.
 #379789  by ggariepy
 July 13th, 2019, 11:43 pm
Well here in Metro Detroit, we're reading about y'all prepping your cars for Carlisle, hope you're having a good time, been a lot of years since I made my last trip out there in 2005.

The last month has been a busy one with family and work, so I have had a hard time getting work done on this car. I've been chasing an interior lights won't go out issue and it's turned into much more of a project than I wanted it to.

Today found myself in Parts Galore (local u-pull it yard) getting a bunch of little things for the boy's 300M. And one big thing: the body controller and the fuse panel. I've been through every circuit in the door ajar system for the car, and all of the switches are good, all of the grounds are good, and all of the sense wires are good from the connector on the door latch clear to the body controller. I noticed a strange behavior last night while wrapping the wire testing up: the connector on the body controller will show a brief, intermittent continuity with ground on the door ajar sense wires when the cable is plugged in to the BCM. It is momentary, I get a quick beep! from my meter and then it goes away, but after finding no wiring issues it was enough to push me over the edge and decide to try another BCM.

I pulled the replacement out of another '99 with rear collision damage. The part number was different, but I'm thinking this is probably an indication that it was replaced at one time. The two cars were built within a few months of each other.

Got the caps for the wiper arms that go over the studs, got some decent looking headlamp welts, hopefully got the stuff I need to properly mount the spare tire and jack in the trunk, got a new e-brake release handle, got a couple of replacement front door speakers (they're aftermarket Kenwoods, but none of the OEM units in Infinity-equipped LHs in the yard were still intact, hopefully these will work ok).

Pulling the entire fuse panel and BCM from the donor car resulted in the price for the entire thing being $12, so I'm not losing much if it doesn't work. If that doesn't cure it I will be looking to y'all for some help, I'm about out of tricks on this one.

There sure are a lot of LH cars in the yards around here, many with close to or over 200K miles if the oil change stickers can be believed. It's hard to tell why some of them are in there, but no small number have had what would be a repairable minor collision and have gotten junked because the repairs are worth more than the car.

I have the replacement timing belt/water pump/idler/tensioner kit, a fresh set of Felpro intake manifold gaskets, a new battery, and the garage cleaned out just enough to fit a 300M inside with all of my other junk! I'll let you know how it goes.
 #379790  by adu1982
 July 14th, 2019, 1:34 am
Must be nice with so many Ms in the yards. Only one in between the 2 yards near me and a beat up one too. Almost all the Florida lkq yards also have no Ms or LHS 's

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

#379799  by ggariepy
 July 15th, 2019, 12:14 am
Having a ready supply of cheap parts is one of the reasons I've invested in two LH cars this year for my kids. If there's something you need and it's not going to involve hiring a semi to ship it, let me know. I will charge for the part, shipping, and a reasonable amount to pull it and pack it but I'm willing to help out if I can. I'm tempted to snap up all of the automatic temp controls I can find.

Thought I'd update the group: I swapped in that body control module tonight and it fixed the problem with the interior lights staying on. The odometer dropped almost 70,000 miles in the process, cha-ching!!! LOL 😁

Feeling very accomplished at the moment, that was a PITA of a diagnosis, especially without a DRB 3, but once again logic and reason won the day.

Now to put the rest of the interior back together, and move on to engine work...
beespecial liked this
 #379815  by KxWarrior
 July 15th, 2019, 4:01 pm
Unpacked the cars today, cleaned out the junk inside. Said goodbye to intrepidation(andrew), and started back to normal life. Was great seeing everyone as always. Going over the ocmd trip with the wife right now. May make a day trip out of it :)
beespecial, First Lady liked this
 #379816  by First Lady
 July 15th, 2019, 7:34 pm
KxWarrior wrote: July 15th, 2019, 4:01 pm Unpacked the cars today, cleaned out the junk inside. Said goodbye to intrepidation(andrew), and started back to normal life. Was great seeing everyone as always. Going over the ocmd trip with the wife right now. May make a day trip out of it :)
That would be AMAZING!!!!! We'd LOVE to have you!!!!
 #379821  by LUNAT1C
 July 16th, 2019, 8:49 am
ggariepy wrote: July 15th, 2019, 12:14 am Having a ready supply of cheap parts is one of the reasons I've invested in two LH cars this year for my kids. If there's something you need and it's not going to involve hiring a semi to ship it, let me know. I will charge for the part, shipping, and a reasonable amount to pull it and pack it but I'm willing to help out if I can. I'm tempted to snap up all of the automatic temp controls I can find.

Thought I'd update the group: I swapped in that body control module tonight and it fixed the problem with the interior lights staying on. The odometer dropped almost 70,000 miles in the process, cha-ching!!! LOL 😁

Feeling very accomplished at the moment, that was a PITA of a diagnosis, especially without a DRB 3, but once again logic and reason won the day.

Now to put the rest of the interior back together, and move on to engine work...
I haven't had as much luck finding 300Ms with the parts I need, but then again most of the Ms I see at Parts Galore and Taylor Auto are early cars, not Specials. I've had some small amount of luck finding things like wood wheels, and raided the few Specials I found for their seats for my rear seat mod.
 #379822  by LUNAT1C
 July 16th, 2019, 8:51 am
On the way home from Carlisle, after seeing a billboard advertising OCMD, I started putting together a list of things I need to do and things I'd like to do before OC.

Looks like my evap swap will take some more time... might as well take the time to do a few other things like sound deadening and re-running my speaker wiring while the dash is out. Also looking for leather-like vinyls that match deep slate, though I don't expect to find anything.
 #379828  by StealthM
 July 16th, 2019, 11:59 am
Robert, during my interweb travels I have come across new vinyl wrap options just for that application. Wrapping dash boards and door panels that replicate leather and factory vinyl. Not sure of the color paletts available at this time but they do make a cool carbon fiber one... I will see if I can find it and forward it to you.
 #379913  by dcsally97
 July 20th, 2019, 3:41 pm
I figured since I worked 7-3 today and its 95° out, I had better change the oil. I may consider washing it later. My poor car is so dusty!

#379925  by LUNAT1C
 July 21st, 2019, 7:12 pm
Ordered the EVAP seal kit on eBay... Should arrive mid August. Supposedly 10+ are available and it was cheaper to buy multiple, so I ordered 2 in case the black car needs an EVAP. $100 each. Yikes.
 #379932  by remi
 July 22nd, 2019, 2:19 pm
Yesterday night I put the temporary bumpers back on the PHP while the original ones are being painted, and tonight switched license plates ang gave it a good wash. Ready for going to work tomorrow! (Since the Cougar decided to throw a CKP sensor and wouldn't start on last Wednesday when we arrived back from Carlisle/Boston).

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk

#379946  by Sneke_Eyez
 July 23rd, 2019, 4:29 pm
Over the last three days we have had a brutal stretch of heat for Saturday and Sunday, then a brutal rain storm last night.

I was out in all of it, as Saturday morning I determined that the Pro Am's water pump was likely leaking due to a puddle of coolant in the driveway (if it won't evaporate in 100+ degree temps, there's something wrong with that "water").
So, while cursing the heat, on Saturday Keith and I disassembled everything to find that not only was the water pump leaking, but the rear timing cover seals were leaking as well.
It was too late to get them anywhere, and it appears there is no aftermarket alternative.
Sunday (another 95+ degree day) while waiting for the dealerships to open I decided to do the valve cover gaskets, which were clearly leaking, upstream oxygen sensors, spark plugs, plenum gasket, PCV valve, and clean the throttle body.
Yesterday Ashley went and picked up the seals for me and Keith came over after work just in time for the deluge to start.
Working under his canopy we got the timing cover back on and the water pump in, then Scott came out and helped time the motor... all while it absolutely POURED around us.
The rest of the car is pretty much all assembled aside from some small items.
Tonight I finish it up and bleed the cooling system.

The power of this Club is shown right there - 2 Club members and great friends helping me get my wife's car fixed even in excessive heat and literal driving rain.