• What did you do to your car today?

• General Discussions about the 300M
Ocean City 2019 Banner

Membership Banner

General Discussions about the 300M

Moderator: Moderators

#380554  by adu1982
 September 2nd, 2019, 4:16 pm
Thanks for the tip. I actually tried that right after I almost broke my Dremel (still kinda works but it's going into the trash). I looked at the other side and realized how it is then I suggest used a chisel too....came off, and managed to finish everything late Thursday night. Had to stash all my extra wirings and just leave it alone...even had to run a new temp wire to my dual fast charge USB that replaced the cigarette lighter as the center console and the cig lighter had no power.....
Didnt get to even replace the oil or even really check coolant level as we had to go to the airport, pickup my sister, then drove back, dropped them home and rushed to work. Went through a work day half mad, that I couldn't leave early to get some sleep , half mad I didn't get everything done on the car. We left Friday around 2 pm and spent labor day weekend at Chattanooga .... Pretty awesome place and alot of fun. We decided to leave Sunday night (instead of Monday at noon) so my sister can drive back to Miami before the hurricane would shut everything down (her Tuesday flight was cancelled already by Sunday morning). Got back late last night, put some air in the bases's rear tires while we were gassing up, filled up about 7 gallons in gas containers and off she went.
So my 300M base in Miami again ( it's been on Miami duty for a few years now ).

No issues with the LHS on the trip of course ....when I parked on the driveway, late last night,a bit more spirited, I though I hear a clunk. Though I heard it on the 6k road trip once too. Have to remember to lift it up and check if either the subframe bushing bolts need to be tightened or if the people at the alignment shop left something loose. Could have also been something in the car shifting as it was full with stuff on both occasions.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

#380555  by M-Pressive
 September 2nd, 2019, 7:31 pm
Black Special got an oil change this weekend.

I was able to install the driver seatbelt I got from Ken and wired up my last rear door light as well.

Can't believe it took me four years to get them added.
 #380580  by StealthM
 September 3rd, 2019, 9:00 pm
Howdy gang. Hope all is well. Well after a steller time at Carlisle, I wasn't planning on doing much with StealthM. Main thing was replacing the calipers. Prepping for Carlisle I notice I was missing pieces from the front pistons. Not to mention after the club dinner my ABS/TRAC light came on..... REALLY...... got home connected to my scanner and I have a bad left rear wheel sensor. Ok no biggie I replaced the front ones when I replaced the spindles. Ok calipers and sensors. No biggie. A few days later engine light comes on.... REALLY....... code P0440 large evac leak detected. Installed new gas cap. OEM non the less. Reset CEL ok at this moment. Used the car all last week, teaching at the academy go to leave Friday night..... NO BRAKES... peddle right to the floor. Like floorboard to the floor..... CRAP NOW WHAT..... ok so what takes 20 mins took me an hour to limp her home safely. Change into shop cloths and took a gander. Well reservoir.was next to empty. Filled up the fluid and had my son pump the brakes to see if anything was pouring out. Under hood all clear. Checked all four calipers nope nothing there. But I am watching fluid run down the drive... like a lot. One of the main lines to the rear has a half inch split right under the plastic retainer clip.... rusted right through and blown out..... CRAP... luckily I have a new set in the shed... So thursday my sensors should be here and the weekend will consist of brake work.... Anyhow stay tuned...
 #380583  by Sneke_Eyez
 September 4th, 2019, 7:28 am
StealthM wrote: September 3rd, 2019, 9:00 pm Howdy gang. Hope all is well. Well after a steller time at Carlisle, I wasn't planning on doing much with StealthM. Main thing was replacing the calipers. Prepping for Carlisle I notice I was missing pieces from the front pistons. Not to mention after the club dinner my ABS/TRAC light came on..... REALLY...... got home connected to my scanner and I have a bad left rear wheel sensor. Ok no biggie I replaced the front ones when I replaced the spindles. Ok calipers and sensors. No biggie. A few days later engine light comes on.... REALLY....... code P0440 large evac leak detected. Installed new gas cap. OEM non the less. Reset CEL ok at this moment. Used the car all last week, teaching at the academy go to leave Friday night..... NO BRAKES... peddle right to the floor. Like floorboard to the floor..... CRAP NOW WHAT..... ok so what takes 20 mins took me an hour to limp her home safely. Change into shop cloths and took a gander. Well reservoir.was next to empty. Filled up the fluid and had my son pump the brakes to see if anything was pouring out. Under hood all clear. Checked all four calipers nope nothing there. But I am watching fluid run down the drive... like a lot. One of the main lines to the rear has a half inch split right under the plastic retainer clip.... rusted right through and blown out..... CRAP... luckily I have a new set in the shed... So thursday my sensors should be here and the weekend will consist of brake work.... Anyhow stay tuned...
Good luck with the brake line swap, Clarence!

Been there, done that, got bathed in brake fluid to prove it.
 #380591  by StealthM
 September 4th, 2019, 12:26 pm
Thanks Ryan. Too bad I don't live in the New England area. I hear their is a crazy band of rabid LH fans that travel in a pack and do repairs in driveways......lol
 #380595  by First Lady
 September 4th, 2019, 6:18 pm
StealthM wrote: September 4th, 2019, 12:26 pm Thanks Ryan. Too bad I don't live in the New England area. I hear their is a crazy band of rabid LH fans that travel in a pack and do repairs in driveways......lol
Oh the stories my driveway could tell!! I wish everyone lived near us!!!
beespecial liked this
 #380597  by dcsally97
 September 4th, 2019, 8:32 pm
That would be cool. There for awhile, I thought you had to live in NE to be in the club. Lol
 #380598  by sparky99
 September 4th, 2019, 8:57 pm
StealthM wrote: September 3rd, 2019, 9:00 pm Howdy gang. Hope all is well. Well after a steller time at Carlisle, I wasn't planning on doing much with StealthM. Main thing was replacing the calipers. Prepping for Carlisle I notice I was missing pieces from the front pistons. Not to mention after the club dinner my ABS/TRAC light came on..... REALLY...... got home connected to my scanner and I have a bad left rear wheel sensor. Ok no biggie I replaced the front ones when I replaced the spindles. Ok calipers and sensors. No biggie. A few days later engine light comes on.... REALLY....... code P0440 large evac leak detected. Installed new gas cap. OEM non the less. Reset CEL ok at this moment. Used the car all last week, teaching at the academy go to leave Friday night..... NO BRAKES... peddle right to the floor. Like floorboard to the floor..... CRAP NOW WHAT..... ok so what takes 20 mins took me an hour to limp her home safely. Change into shop cloths and took a gander. Well reservoir.was next to empty. Filled up the fluid and had my son pump the brakes to see if anything was pouring out. Under hood all clear. Checked all four calipers nope nothing there. But I am watching fluid run down the drive... like a lot. One of the main lines to the rear has a half inch split right under the plastic retainer clip.... rusted right through and blown out..... CRAP... luckily I have a new set in the shed... So thursday my sensors should be here and the weekend will consist of brake work.... Anyhow stay tuned...
sorry to hear about the troubles Clarence. the brake lines are a relatively simple swap unless you're making them. I used the "fine lines" kit on eBay and it went together like a dream.

I know how it goes. but I still have something with your name on it if you still want it.
 #380600  by StealthM
 September 4th, 2019, 11:51 pm
Yes and yes. Just let me get this brake thing situated. I have pre bent ones from Stainless Steel Brake company. All stainless. Will never be doing this job again.... hopefully...lol
 #380606  by LUNAT1C
 September 6th, 2019, 10:42 am
To the Specials? Absolutely nothing. I saw them last night when I went into the garage for my Xacto knife for a minor Jeep mod, after having not seen them for a week. We were scheduled to spend about a week at Marathon Key, FL, but a certain "tropical disturbance quickly turned 180+ MPH category 5" called and said, "haha nope". So we had a very quick change in plans and spent 5 days and 4 nights traveling around northern Michigan. Traverse City, Sleeping Bear Dunes, Mackinaw City via US-31 through Charlevoix and Petoskey, Mackinac Island, USCGC icebreaker Mackinaw, and a quick trip over the longest suspension bridge in the western hemisphere (Big Mac... Mighty Mac... Mackinac Bridge... Mackinac Straits Bridge if you remember it being built ca. 1954-1957) just to say we've been to the UP (Upper Peninsula, Michigan's consolation prize from the federal government after losing the Toledo Strip to Ohio in the 1800s).

Very fun trip. Lots of miles added to the Jeep and he cleaned up well last night.

Though the Specials have gotten no attention, the Jeep has. The Monday morning before the trip, the factory 3.25 year old battery packed up. Slow-charging it didn't help, the smart charger didn't indicate a problem, but it was struggling to hold a charge. Had to change the EVIC settings to prevent the HID headlights from firing everytime I unlocked it just to be sure it started. Installed a new X2 Power Premium AGM deep cycle battery from Batteries Plus (rebranded Northstar battery) Thursday morning before the trip and it's been a champ so far. Also discovered the radiator is leaking, can see residue on the drivers end tank. Common problem... I put about a quart of OAT 50/50 Mopar coolant into the recovery tank to ensure the trip was trouble free and plan to replace the radiator before winter. Powertrain warranty does not cover it, surprisingly, so I'm on my own.

Did a new mod on the Jeep though... IJT came out with a nifty looking new keyfob plastic housing that looks pretty rugged and comes in a variety of colors. Got one in light blue to match the Jeep and replace the scratched up original fob housing. guts transferred right over and it works. So far I like it.
 #380614  by adu1982
 September 7th, 2019, 1:04 pm
Well except for the Bahamas and a bit of flooding Dorian didn't do much but ruin plans. Works has been crazy cause of the 2-3 days of missed deliveries and I am falling this even more behind with projects. Been working on my aunt's versa a bit yesterday and a bit today. Got to get some house work done too (on the rental) and maybe also put in the azera amp.....

Well replaced the idler pulley on the versa.....what POS design......worst idler pulley I've ever worked on. Almost no space to take the star bolt out or put in. Didn't drill a hole but cut out a tiny bit of metal to take it out and then lift it enough to tighten it at an angle....All looks good and the loud noise when the AC, reverse and especially reverse and braking was making. It was the idler. Even the new idler has quite a bit of play too per design.... Dunno seems like our no play Chrysler design is much better ..... Just have to wait for the window regulator and that might be it. I'll give it and engine wash and depending on how bad the VC cover is leaking I might replace it.... That and check brakes and should be good to go. Thought I hear a clunk when turning but nothing moved when I tried it last night (bushing wise). Never having worked on this car I worked with the garage opened so now it is scorthing hot (even caught me a bit towards the end ) in there so all I might do today is pull it out, spray a bit of engine degreaser and then wash it.
Close to mid September and it's 95+ degrees ....jeeeeez..

#380620  by LUNAT1C
 September 8th, 2019, 10:56 am
Finally got around to dipping a few pieces. For the summer shows I had a blue/green colorshift vinyl on the radio and shifter bezels. I liked the color, but hated the material. Did not do well at all around corners and edges. Adhesion primer might have helped, but I went another route with a similar color.

I had seen a video on the facetubes from Fonzie at DipYourCar where he sprayed a 911 in Flex Blue dip, then a Bora Bora Colorshift Pearl infused gloss topcoat. It looked stunning, so I ordered those materials along with a Preval sprayer system for the Pearl since it comes only in quarts and gallons. Took a bit of a learning curve with the large bottle attached to the sprayer, and I did bump the shifter bezel, which forced me to use dipfix to smooth it out and blend with another couple targeted coats of flex blue and Bora Bora, but I think it turned out well. Did the sub amp as well.
IMG_20190908_114155.jpg
IMG_20190908_114245.jpg
IMG_20190907_162556.jpg
IMG_20190907_162607.jpg
IMG_20190907_183055.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Null liked this
 #380621  by dcsally97
 September 8th, 2019, 11:31 am
That is a pretty color! Very cool idea. I'm sure Luna is very happy!
 #380631  by LUNAT1C
 September 9th, 2019, 11:27 am
Of course, when I finished the install and left for a local Mopar meet, I discovered that two weeks of sitting and a half hour with the key in the ignition while I got the bezels back in resulted in the battery not having enough juice to start the engine. It was totally and completely drained back in February, so I'm not shocked that this abused 6 year old battery gave up again. I jumped it with my portable jump starter and got to the meet, also gave it the beans to help the alternator recharge it (which it isn't designed to do). Might be time for a new battery after all. Looking at an X2 Power Premium (Northstar manufacture) from Batteries Plus, which I just put in my Jeep two weeks ago. $289... might be able to get it for $250 again. Was really hoping not to spend a butt-ton of money on repair parts as I still need to get a new radiator ($300) and headlights (upwards of $400) for the Jeep before Winter sets in. Probably going to nurse it along and deal with it next year.
 #380660  by adu1982
 September 11th, 2019, 5:41 am
Well got the versa done Monday , and cousin came and picked it up last night. Not a fan of small cars at all, but every time I get one in our garage , I'm like damn this garage could fit 2 of these and all my stuff almost. Meanwhile the LHS barely fits with just 2 feet in front when it's backed up all the way. I'm tired of seeing the dreadfully paint on my special so I might do a quick sanding today and then take it to the paint shop I did the LHS and the Buick the year before. A few hundred will just tide it over till I either develop the paint skills or get the money for a color change or wrap. I'll probably end up just experimenting further on the base with painting before I sell it sometime late this year or early spring.